News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Door speaker grill fabric

Started by lawrence67, June 08, 2020, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on September 12, 2020, 02:49:23 PM
How can you tell an original pair of the aluminum grilles from a pair of repops?

Is the original grilles with speaker cutouts harder to find?  I'm looking for some for my 67 coupe deluxe interior and haven't seen any anywhere.
Th repro grilles are very nice thankfully because it is so rare to find a used set where the fins are not scarred up. if you put original fabric in the speaker opening it is hard to tell the difference between a original. FYI I think that is the reason that most of the used ones you see for sale have the speaker fabric removed. Very suspicious . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

Would it be just as easy (cheaper) for me to buy the repops?

Speaker door grilles look like, if they can be found, they would be SO expensive. I would rather have originals though. 

A friend of mine has a really beat up pair but without the speaker cutouts.  I don't think I've ever seen any with speaker cutouts except on restored Mustangs/Shelbys.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on September 12, 2020, 06:04:40 PM
Would it be just as easy (cheaper) for me to buy the repops?

Speaker door grilles look like, if they can be found, they would be SO expensive. I would rather have originals though. 

A friend of mine has a really beat up pair but without the speaker cutouts.  I don't think I've ever seen any with speaker cutouts except on restored Mustangs/Shelbys.
The only ones I have ever seen had speaker cutouts. If no speakers were used a black heavy cardboard piece was placed instead of the speaker fabric. The repops are very nice but the speaker fabric used on the repops does not look like original. If that is not a concern then I think you will be happy with the repops . But that is just me . Do what you think is best for you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

Lord-have-mercy😵 you got me to thinking so I went to check😆 I reckon I just didn't pay much attention.

Me and my (late) dad in law finished it in 2006 and I didn't remember.
Mine does have the speaker cutouts 😆

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on September 12, 2020, 06:50:23 PM
Lord-have-mercy😵 you got me to thinking so I went to check😆 I reckon I just didn't pay much attention.

Me and my (late) dad in law finished it in 2006 and I didn't remember.
Mine does have the speaker cutouts 😆
A no speaker car will look better with a piece of painted black cardboard or whatever in place of the fabric or behind the fabric so that you don't see the body color through it.A simple fix.

69mach351w

Actually I'm thinking of putting speakers there. This Mustang is a total driver, I drive it to work, to Walmart, to Lowe's, to Church, etc,... Even leave windows down when hot out since no A/C😎
And sort of tired listening to the dash speaker😆

I was surprised years later probably around 2000, that since it had deluxe interior why it didn't come with door speakers. It came with a lot of other stuff, exterior dècor, and even the deluxe steering wheel (still in the car).

Car ain't going nowhere, been in Family since 1979. And being handed down in my Family.

Even installed a 3rd brake light so those millennials will take notice that this Mustang DOES have one. Sometimes I think they only see 3rd brake lights.

JD

Fabric stores have speaker cloth, you can buy it by the foot off a roll. Some have 2 or 3 different mesh/weave to choose from.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0