Author Topic: Door speaker grill fabric  (Read 3589 times)

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
Door speaker grill fabric
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
Has anyone found a source for the fabric that was glued to lower door grill at speaker hole on each door?  Mine are torn.
Paul

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Door speaker grill fabric
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »
Good question.  I wish I had the answer; however, I can tell you that the material (number of holes, etc.) that comes with the entire repop assembly is different than stock.
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
Yes, it is a coarser weave than the stuff out there. 

I ended up carefully removing the screen for a old set that the metal was too damaged to use but the screen was good and transferred it to my good condition original metal pieces.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
Mine are seriously damage from seat belt buckle damage.  One mesh is torn. Did not know repops are of poor quality.  Are some vendors of better quality than others or all from same source (likely low bid China)?  Anyone refurbish originals?  May have to start collecting originals and selecting best.  Not the best way.  Anyone got a nice pair of originals or NOS?
PL

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:41 PM »
Stockings
3rd floor ladies lingerie Mr Tyler

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »
Mine are seriously damage from seat belt buckle damage.  One mesh is torn. Did not know repops are of poor quality.  Are some vendors of better quality than others or all from same source (likely low bid China)?  Anyone refurbish originals?  May have to start collecting originals and selecting best.  Not the best way.  Anyone got a nice pair of originals or NOS?
PL
Most people buy the repro grills and replace the speaker fabric.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
The repro grills are nice.  The fabric is the primary issue.  However, if you aren't going to have your car judged, no one will notice the difference, unless they get on their hands and knees while one of the doors is open.
Nothing beats a classic!

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 01:15:32 AM »
Thanks for input.  Plan now is to order repops, probably from NPD, continue to search for mesh and move good mesh to new or redo both. Sounds complicated but just need to find something that will work.  Got impression that repops were not good option.  This is not a concours build so it'll be what it is.  Car deserves the best I can give it.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
  Just a thought:  look into "cheesecloth" fabric.  There might be varying grades - hole width wise.  Paint or dye it black.

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:41:44 AM »
Had thought of that and will check it out.  Thks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Thanks for input.  Plan now is to order repops, probably from NPD, continue to search for mesh and move good mesh to new or redo both. Sounds complicated but just need to find something that will work.  Got impression that repops were not good option.  This is not a concours build so it'll be what it is.  Car deserves the best I can give it.
I have been a Shelby enthusiest for many decades now.Until the repros became available many years ago everyone was out of luck because NOS grills were virually non existant 20 years ago . Even more so now. Don't waste your time holding out for a NOS grill. Transfering the fabric from a original to a nice repro grill is what informed restorers do.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
If I remember the 67 fabric correctly, it is the same as the fabric Ford used to cover millions of speakers for decades.  See attached ebay listing.  Find some 6x9s for bigger pieces.  Does this look right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-MUSTANG-SVT-COBRA-SM-ROUND-SPEAKERS-REAR-BOX-OEM-SKU-FF552/184322591326?fits=Make%3AFord&hash=item2aea7b8a5e:g:7mMAAOSwr7ZW6f5H

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
Thanks for your input Bob, I have one that I can move to repop but will have to find something else for other grill.  I have a set of door speakers from a Galaxie but mesh is garbage so I'll continue to look or like you suggest creativity will rule.  Still working with taillight wiring and housing boxes with nothing to rivet them to.  Creating there too. Summer starting to interfere.
Regards, Paul

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
Thanks for your input Bob, I have one that I can move to repop but will have to find something else for other grill.  I have a set of door speakers from a Galaxie but mesh is garbage so I'll continue to look or like you suggest creativity will rule.  Still working with taillight wiring and housing boxes with nothing to rivet them to.  Creating there too. Summer starting to interfere.
Regards, Paul
Don't beat yourself up too bad because I can't remember the last time I saw all rivet holes used on the housing boxes on a unrestored car. Most typical is maybe 3 or 4.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
How can you tell an original pair of the aluminum grilles from a pair of repops?

Is the original grilles with speaker cutouts harder to find?  I'm looking for some for my 67 coupe deluxe interior and haven't seen any anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:39:51 PM by 69mach351w »