Author Topic: Caution Fan Decal  (Read 1869 times)

smallblock289

• View Profile
Caution Fan Decal
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:52:53 PM »
Why were the Caution Fan Decals removed , I would have thought it a safety thing.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Caution Fan Decal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »
Its not that they were removed - its that originally they were never installed on 67 Mustangs and in turn Shelby's

It was a safety thing years later, so Ford, Mercury and Lincoln sent out hundreds of thousands to registered owners, applied them to new cars being built and sent boxes of them to dealerships who were instructed to place one on every car on the lot (new and used) and every car that came into service. All of these efforts meant that even low mileage cars and in turn owners received then and placed them on otherwise original cars.

Only Boss 429's with the little finger guards and some other other later cars got them before everyone got them in the early 70's.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:00:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 12:59:35 AM »
I had one on my car. It came off as soon as the epoxy dried on the fan shroud I cracked leaning on it...

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 04:57:36 PM »
I believe that sticker didn't show up on Mustang / Shelby production until sometime in 1968 ?

I do know it was the first thing I removed from my '67 GT350 when it got home.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 05:32:44 PM »
I believe that sticker didn't show up on Mustang / Shelby production until sometime in 1968 ?

I do know it was the first thing I removed from my '67 GT350 when it got home.
I have not seen any vintage evidence to suggest that the caution fan sticker was used on any 65-70 Shelby . Besides the 69/70 Boss 9 there is circumstantial evidence to suggest it was used on a few different smallblock Mustang application fan shrouds starting in 69 production year. From approximately 1970 on all service fan shroud typically came with a sticker attached. The NOS service part no doubt was the basis for people thinking they came on all of the assemblyline cars too.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »
I can't believe i survived all these years without my
caution fan decal , And still have all my fingers.   

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
Why were the Caution Fan Decals removed , I would have thought it a safety thing.
Rumor has it that a descendant of Charles Darwin removed them in an attempt to verify the theory of natural selection.

6S1114