Author Topic: Non owners but enthusiasts  (Read 4375 times)

Clone65

Non owners but enthusiasts
« on: June 14, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »
Non owners but shelby enthusiasts  out there? Just wondering. In the past had a 67 gt500 didnt know  what i had fast forward to day iget a bunch of crap because i m building a clone ( what is your description of a clone?)  Know a lot more than the guy did  looking at for aclient at a crossover then he did. Someone paid for that... he was asking me questions about it..he did not know.. sure would love to be Gold Card holder..but if i dont know it all would love to know answers. If hiding answers how can this move forward?

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Non owners but enthusiasts
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
Note sure I fully understand your points, but my 2c

I have no issue with clones/tributes as long as everyone is honest with what it is (ie not trying to pass it off as the real deal)

I have both, prefer the clone for track/fun as its a lot less stressful  ;)

cheers

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:59:43 PM »
I don't know anyone that looks down on anyone with a clone.  Now do I believe a person building a clone including myself, should use original rare parts on their clone, no because a person restoring the real car might could use them.  As far as becoming a knowledgeable person to help others (paid or not) that is an absolute great goal and there are many here that will help you.  Enjoy the journey!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 07:17:21 AM »
I have been an overly enthusiastic member for about 30 years, never owned anything with a genuine S/N. BUT, my FFR Replica is well known, track car, at many conventions. I happily acknowledge it as what it is, a replica, track car, fun car. Yes, I do get lots of sneers from the CSX boys, all of them. BUT, I have more fun than most of them, so it's even.

Enjoy the car, build it for you, have fun, be a good and active member of the club.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Enjoy what you have, drive the wheels off of it. Life is real short
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »
Been a Shelby Enthusiast 40 years!!

However, I've never had the honor of owning one. Always very close but yet, so far away :(

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »
Have had my 67 since 82.Realize how lucky I am as these things are far from “affordable” now.Have zero problem with clones as long as they are not misrepresented as genuine original Shelby American/Shelby Automotive cars,frankly I think they provide a legitimate educational function as so few original cars see the light of day....I have seen some VERY cool replica/tribute/clone cars over the years ,so go nuts!!! ;D

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »
^^^+1^^^
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:49:18 PM »
About 15 years ago I started collecting 65 shelby parts to do a clone, during the process I gained much respect for these cars and their owners and 6s1902 belongs to us by the way. I ended up selling those parts because I felt they deserved to be on a real 65 shelby. Fast forward to today and I am building a tribute and would not put anything on my car that ford or shelby did not make if  I can help it. I would never call my car a shelby or a clone nor would I badge it as such but that's just me. Shelby got it right so not going to reinvent the wheel..I am using his parts!

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 11:29:03 PM »
Maybe it’s just me but I really have no i idea what your point is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a hard to read post ever on this forum.

I love the fact that this clubs only requirement is 50 dollars and enthusiasm. I joined PCA (Porsche Club of America) and quit after one year when I found out you had to be a Porsche owner to be a member.
What a crock of  **** that is. You can buy a POS Porsche SUV for what, 2000 dollars. Even to be a member of either of the 2 biggest Ferrari clubs ownership is not essential.

As far as clones go, do what you want, just don’t try to pass it off as real. Don’t tell people it’s real either when it’s a fake.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:35:12 PM by pchmotoho »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 12:59:20 AM »
Maybe it’s just me but I really have no i idea what your point is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a hard to read post ever on this forum.

+1

Wasn't this hashed out a few weeks back?

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
About 15 years ago I started collecting 65 shelby parts to do a clone, during the process I gained much respect for these cars and their owners and 6s1902 belongs to us by the way. I ended up selling those parts because I felt they deserved to be on a real 65 shelby. Fast forward to today and I am building a tribute and would not put anything on my car that ford or shelby did not make if  I can help it. I would never call my car a shelby or a clone nor would I badge it as such but that's just me. Shelby got it right so not going to reinvent the wheel..I am using his parts!

I have no problem with clones   as long as they Don't have shelby tag on them   real or fake .   And don't  gather up the  Real parts to make your car more real ! in many cases the reproduction parts are better than  50 year old worn out parts.  The divide  is the parts issue If you have a real car and have to compete with  500 other  65 owners to find them that's one thing..... when you add in  25000 clone  builders  that pile of parts gets small damn fast.  just look at the elenore  craze that has  eliminated every 67 68 mustang  fastback or coupe .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »

+1

Wasn't this hashed out a few weeks back?
I remember this. Clone65 must be from another country.  He makes sense to himself but not us. JMO