News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 Export Brace and Fiberglass Question

Started by 67GT500#1594, June 20, 2020, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 06, 2020, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: mustang245 on July 06, 2020, 04:10:39 AM
It was built 4/4/67.

Thanks  it puts your car and picture into context with others.

So with that when and were I can report that I've got almost a half dozen examples of New Jersey built Mustangs with the export brace with both hole patterns as shown in mustang245 earlier post above. All from the spring of 67 production period at that plant.  So that suggests that at least one pallet or crate of these was delivered to that plant for those cars. Haven't seen any service replacements/NOS ones like this, often a likely place to dispose of old left over stock, so not sure how they ended up on cars approx 8 months after the design changed. Just reporting my findings and data collection.

IMHO for one to end up on a San Jose built car we would need to accept that one some how got tossed into the crate going to that plant, more than one did (if so we would have likely seen many more examples pop up on Shelby's) or it got put on the car earlier in life as a replacement - possibly the results of the incidence you mentioned or something else like misplacing it during the repair.

Going forward you get the choice of making the decision. Either replace it with what would be typical, expected or maybe originally there or leave it as you found it and explain the difference to everyone that will ask about it. You also get to be "that guy with the car with the ...." :)
Something to add for those reading so that they don't get confused is as a addition to Jeff's post the hole pattern are uniform in size and spacing. I have seen PO modified braces that have odd size holes and are not preciously drilled. These modified braces come up every so often because a owner takes a more common 67-70 unequal spaced bolt pattern brace and modifies it to make a more rare and valuable equal spaced bolt pattern 65/66 brace. Sometimes they will go so far as welding up the holes to disguise the modification. The hole size and precision the holes are drilled in Jeff's example help me justify that a anomaly like that is legitimate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67GT500#1594

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 06, 2020, 04:02:40 PM
Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on July 06, 2020, 03:00:34 PM
I'm not sure myself. My car sat for a very long time before it was completed? I know both of the original owners and they both said it's always been there? Now, the only thing me and another Forum member can figure out is it just might have been replaced, maybe? The car suffered a clutch explosion in 1969/70 that took out the power steering, the master cylinder, and the hood. It also damaged the inner panels and hood hinges. The only thing I can surmise is it damaged the export brace too and this was the only replacement part available and someone modified it. Now, the strange part is it has small indentions where the 67 would bolt that were stamped where a 65/66 one clearly does not! IDK. Definitely a Ford piece that's been there at LEAST 50 plus years!

See here's the thing. EVEN if it was installed originally, it's still "wrong". That's what everyone is trying to tell you.

Like the "beehives" without washers.

shelbydoug,

If I had a dollar for every time a "Shelby Expert" told me something isn't correct, and in reality it was, my car would be done. I am NOT disputing Mr. Gaines or anyone else here nor am I trying to pass off my car as being original and or unmolested. My car has parts on it that are not considered the "traditional known parts". No one seems to have ever seen my style of end caps or upper scoops, maybe mine was a test car for something new? Who knows? Does that mean I need to throw out these "WRONG" parts?? It's amazing that a simple question and or an example of what MY car has on it compared to others draws such a snarky response.

If there's one thing that's undisputed is that, at some point, new evidence comes out on just how these cars were done and put together that might be different than the "Known" examples for so many years.

I've focused on finding the correct parts for my car for YEARS and just recently found an unobtainium "SPEC" chunk. I'm constantly trying to better the components and gather the correct information. At the end of the day, my car will be built to the absolute best of mine and others abilities. While it might not be "perfect" to others, it will be to ME!

Bob, JD, kram350, and many others I Thank You!

Bob Gaines

Speaking for myself ,I get satisfaction helping you make informed decisions that make the most sense for your situation by providing relevant information. I have a high confidence level that others here on this forum feel the same way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67GT500#1594

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 06, 2020, 09:17:18 PM
Speaking for myself ,I get satisfaction helping you make informed decisions that make the most sense for your situation by providing relevant information. I have a high confidence level that others here on this forum feel the same way.

YES!! I thoroughly value your input and advice! Thanks and Regards!!

roddster

I call it "homogenizing".   Blending everything so its all the same.