Author Topic: Shock tower caps  (Read 7675 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Shock tower caps
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
In case it was not clear from my explanation ,the washers and the bolts are unrelated. Most 66 production and up Shelby's used the made to Ford specifications heavy duty adjustable shock designed for harsh road conditions. It was not considered a standard Mustang shock.       
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DRGT350

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »
Bob - thanks for the information and explanation -

Dave

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
so - for education purpose:
I thought that the "shock tower washers" were on '65 and '66 GT 350's as the Koni Shocks were somewhat less wide than the standard shocks and thus the washers... AND the longer bolts to hold the shocks were added as well..  is this correct?

The '67's having standard shocks would need neither...  or were they "supposed" to have washers on the tower caps without the longer bolts?

BTW - my '67 has neither the washers or the longer bolts...

Dave
The reinforced upper brackets were not Shelby unique. It was part of something called a export package. The heavy duty items in the package were first designed for rougher roads encountered in Europe and other places hence export package stuck. Heavy duty adjustable shocks and a one piece stronger firewall brace were also part of the package . The Koni shocks evolved to another heavy duty adjustable shock mfg starting in early 1966. That new shock was one that Ford had control of the design and most likely cost too.  The different bolts for the Koni's was in response to a smaller surface area on the Koni shock mounting cross bar. The special bolts had a larger head to bridge the smaller surface area of the cross bar mounting.  Different bolts were not needed when used with the different mfg shocks that Ford had contracted to be built to their specifications by Gabriel . The relative thin metal of the upper shock bracket was prone to fatigue and cracking under harsh conditions unless reinforced . The one piece upper firewall brace commonly refereed to as a export brace was made of thick steel compared to the the two separate sheet metal formed stock firewall braces on regular Mustangs.The one piece thick steel brace did not allow as much flex in the front end on rough roads as the stock braces. All of these export package components had value in road racing handling as well which is why they were chosen as part of the specified design of 65-70 Shelby's     
I thought I would add before someone mentions it is that although the heavy duty shock and reinforced upper shock bracket were used the 69/70 did not incorporate the one piece firewall brace in the Shelby specified design.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2020, 10:45:06 PM »
If it was a cool or interesting mistake I could see keeping the inferior part. The use of the regular upper shock bracket makes a 67 Shelby less then another 67 Shelby that has the correct stronger part like the car was designed to have IMO.
Bob, My guess is that I just flat overlooked it. I was only about 28 when I started the process. I don't remember them on the car. Back then the references just weren't out there. There are SO many early books that are the cause of the rumors and false information.
I guess at some juncture I'll correct the issue.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
If it was a cool or interesting mistake I could see keeping the inferior part. The use of the regular upper shock bracket makes a 67 Shelby less then another 67 Shelby that has the correct stronger part like the car was designed to have IMO.
Bob, My guess is that I just flat overlooked it. I was only about 28 when I started the process. I don't remember them on the car. Back then the references just weren't out there. There are SO many early books that are the cause of the rumors and false information.
I guess at some juncture I'll correct the issue.
They are easy to make . Someone else asked about what is required.  I will get measurements for the washers later this week and post. AMK sells the washers. They are tack welded typically in 3 spots. two on each side and one in the back (back is opposite of were the shock shaft comes up through). 

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
Hello Bob,

Do you have that AMK part number for the washers that are correct? Trying to get my AMK order together and I could sure use these!
Many thanks!!
Matt

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
Hello Bob,

Do you have that AMK part number for the washers that are correct? Trying to get my AMK order together and I could sure use these!
Many thanks!!
Matt
Here are the measurements.

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »
Hello Bob,

Many thanks!!
Matt
Here are the measurements.

If you have access to engine head parts, FE 390/428 rocker arm shaft stand retaining bolt washers would be correct, or very close. I have made proper looking tower shock caps using these washers.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:25:17 PM by Rbwiii »

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »
Thanks guys! Perfect!! I actually have a ton of those washers and I never knew! Thanks for the pics too! Those always are appreciated! 👍👍👍

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 01:32:27 AM »
Don't forget they are cut in a D shape.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
Don't forget they are cut in a D shape.
You can cut them before with a cut off saw or after they are tac welded on then use the edge as a guide and cut them off.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
Do the clipped washers as on the power steering frame bracket work?

Jon

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 02:23:43 PM »
Do the clipped washers as on the power steering frame bracket work?

Jon
Jon,too large of a diameter and slightly thicker.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
    Mig weld , high heat , sloppy because you were in a hurry and didn't care.
'65 and '66 one "tack" on each outside. The FE rocker stand washer is what was used, I have it on good authority.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.