Author Topic: Hood and eyebrow moldings  (Read 1925 times)

DaveB330

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hood and eyebrow moldings
« on: June 15, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
OK, I went back and looked for info on this topic but it's too dated to "reply to", so here's a new thread.

I have the original "tabbed" hood molding for my '69 500 project, but it has some marks on it. Not bad but not great. I also have what appear to be original eyebrows, but they are not useable as is.  So the question, should I seek to have all three parts "repaired", and if so, where?  Or are there excellent replacement sources [repro or otherwise] that someone could recommend.  I read that Branda used to have some pieces, and also that Paul's Chrome was being used by some for rework, etc.  So like with my previous wheels question, I am asking for any advice on what to do and who to work with. All ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks....

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Hood and eyebrow moldings
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »
The answer is different for the parts

The hood molding is stainless and there is an excellent reproduction

The fender extensions are hard to find, the reproductions are not up to speed

Re-chroming is expensive and usually takes a long time

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:21:32 PM »
I should have a set of the front chrome

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
OK, I went back and looked for info on this topic but it's too dated to "reply to", so here's a new thread.

I have the original "tabbed" hood molding for my '69 500 project, but it has some marks on it. Not bad but not great. I also have what appear to be original eyebrows, but they are not useable as is.  So the question, should I seek to have all three parts "repaired", and if so, where?  Or are there excellent replacement sources [repro or otherwise] that someone could recommend.  I read that Branda used to have some pieces, and also that Paul's Chrome was being used by some for rework, etc.  So like with my previous wheels question, I am asking for any advice on what to do and who to work with. All ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks....
The hood peak molding is a pain to repair because it is two piece welded in the middle . It is very easy to break in the center so be aware if shipping and or advising the uninformed if they try and take dings out or polish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
The hood and fender pieces from Branda today fit and look better then the originals.

I understand the first few batches of the reproduction fender ends had fitment issues but the pieces made in the last 4 years in my experience are great.   
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »

A few years ago my hood molding went aero on me doing 80 down a busy freeway. Hagery paid for a NOS replacement which luckily there was one for sale on EBAY in the wrapper. Made a deal with the seller. I also bought the "last" repo made by a guy I believe was now deceased so no more coming through the pipeline from Branda. Tony had 2 left at the time so I bought one of them. To me it was pretty damn close to the original NOS one I bought . i couldn't tell the difference other than the service quality of the Ford piece wasn't perfect like my repo was. Repo is on the car for now and to me the tabs are spot on. Now if you can find one of those repo iterations that I bought that would be great. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
Many are not aware that double sided foam tape was also used in conjunction with the tabs. Of course the double sided tape is not seen once installed . It provides a smoother and more stable surface then what the spaced tabs can provide by themselves. No comely loose on the highway when both are used.  I have found it on numerous previously unremoved hood peak moldings.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
Many are not aware that double sided foam tape was also used in conjunction with the tabs. Of course the double sided tape is not seen once installed . It provides a smoother and more stable surface then what the spaced tabs can provide by themselves. No comely loose on the highway when both are used.  I have found it on numerous previously unremoved hood peak moldings.
per advice from a few like you Bob  I used the double sticky tape when I installed my molding. i highly recommend it. I had butyl tape on the one corner where I was missing a tab. I suspect I know how the hood molding came loose on my car during the Woodward Cruise on Mustang alley in the snake pit. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)