Author Topic: Innies or Outies? Shock tower cover bolts  (Read 2188 times)

Grouper Trooper

• Damn the Torpedoes!
    • View Profile
Innies or Outies? Shock tower cover bolts
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:03 PM »
For the shock tower covers on '68 GT350 1516, are the bolts facing out or in?
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Innies or Outies? Shock tower cover bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
For 68 Metuchen built Mustang/Shelby's the outer shock cover bolts heads are outside with the nuts inside the engine compartment. Note, 68 Dearborn and San Jose built Mustangs are opposite.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by KR500 »
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Grouper Trooper

• Damn the Torpedoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, and yes, Metuchen build. Many I've seen are bolts facing out on restored cars and I was thinking everyone assumed it was proper because it looks cleaner. However, I had an unrestored 69' Cougar Q code from 2004 up until 2 years ago where they were facing in. Again, thanks for response.

Cheers!
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, and yes, Metuchen build. Many I've seen are bolts facing out on restored cars and I was thinking everyone assumed it was proper because it looks cleaner.

Often cars get "restored" in a way that reflects what the majority of the local car look like or they copy an unrestored car the builder has access to without checking or being aware of the differences between production plants. Historically its been easy to find 65-67 Shelbys (ones built at San Jose) built in the mid-west or the east that look like Dearborn car since for years there were more Dearborn cars featured in magazines or since those were what was local to the restorers. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge