News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rear Bump stops

Started by Plajoie, June 23, 2020, 08:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plajoie

Has anyone seen this?  When the old bump stops were removed to be relocated the slag, bracket and frame was cut.  Do you clean these up or leave them alone not sure if this was done on assembly or just an after thought.

Greg

A previous owner decided they wanted to install the "bump stop delete" option. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

TJinSA

I would leave remnants of the Ford bump stops in place. They're part of the heritage of the car, and an identifying tell-tale of chassis verification.
Tom Kubler
6S296

Brant

Quote from: Plajoie on June 23, 2020, 08:44:49 AM
Has anyone seen this?  When the old bump stops were removed to be relocated the slag, bracket and frame was cut.  Do you clean these up or leave them alone not sure if this was done on assembly or just an after thought.

Most were originally cut crudely like this. As someone else mentioned, you definitely want to leave this.

Here is a picture of this area on 6S033:
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

Over ride traction bar cars were all done that way.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Guess since this is the 66 section, a good place to start would be to ask what car this is or at least help determine if the car was originally an over ride or under ride car. That fact might help guide what follows.

As a follow up and looking at the OP's earlier posts I see he provided the following
"Jeff Thank you for responding this is 6S521 and was shipped on 12/23/65. "
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Plajoie

Yes you are correct this is 6S521.  And looking at the pictures provided I see the cable attached to the eye bolt, I have the eye bolt but not the cable could you provide me with he purpose of the cable and what does the other end hook to.

Thank You
Pete

J_Speegle

Quote from: Plajoie on June 23, 2020, 07:52:41 PM
Yes you are correct this is 6S521.  And looking at the pictures provided I see the cable attached to the eye bolt, I have the eye bolt but not the cable could you provide me with he purpose of the cable and what does the other end hook to

The eye bolt attaches a braided cable to the rearend of the car to limit travel. The cable goes through the eye and around the rear end tube/housing out next to the rear spring mounting pad. Below is a picture of a 65 with the cable and orientation for a general examples. Just what was handy at the moment

A limiting cable discussion

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=4382.msg38334#msg38334

Reason for determining what car you own helped determine if your car originally had these modifications and features or had been added by a prior owner. Just setting a starting foundation ;)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Plajoie

Thank you everyone for offering the advice. I have been restoring this trying to keep this as original as possible I will be leaving the slag even though it looks bad.

Bob Gaines

Hopefully you picked up from the pictures that after the cutting was done the bare steel rough edges and general area was spray painted with a semigloss black paint to keep rust from forming.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Plajoie

427hunter

Quote from: gt350hr on June 23, 2020, 01:13:52 PM
    Over ride traction bar cars were all done that way.

+1

BTW- what number is your car ? I think they stopped over rides somewhere around 900.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on June 26, 2020, 11:32:52 AM
BTW- what number is your car ? I think they stopped over rides somewhere around 900.

Reply #6 ;)