Author Topic: Does Color Matter $$  (Read 8274 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Does Color Matter $$
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 03:12:38 PM »
   Thankfully PURPLE with gold stripes wasn't a Hertz color option in '66 ;)
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
Or a gold one with black stripes. ::)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 12:13:07 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughtful reply's. Yes I am in the market for a 66 Hertz car. I am considering a Green car and a Black car.  Both cars are great cars. I have yet to personally inspect either car, so it may be a no brained after I look and drive them both. I used to own a Black n Gold car and prefer that color, but the Green car seems to be as original as the Black. So my question was just to help me in my decision making process.

Black and gold is hard to beat, but as long as the histories are both good you wont get hurt. 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:02 AM »
Color does matter, just like size matters … To both men and women ;D

;)
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
I thought more would respond, of course color matters... Everything matters in life. 400 hp or 200 hp, 4 speed or auto, years, options, colors, it all matters even the proverbial CAUTION FAN STICKER matters to some. Its like that question the wifey asks... Does this dress make me look fat :-[ how do you answer that? It does, but you don't want to be a negative Nancy. So we answer … You look great honey and move on down the line. No harm no foul. ;)

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
I have viewed the various color Hertz cars over the years with the black cars obviously the most plentiful. I have yet to see a green one. I dont know why, I assume they exist in numbers equal to the other non black cars. Whatever your choice give the car a good look over,  quite a few of the rental cars have had many owners and been around the block a few times.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
1966 Shelby G.T. 350 H Facts

The Hertz Car Rental Company ordered 1,000 Shelby GT350s from Shelby American on December 21st of 1965. An H was added to the GT350 to designate these as Hertz cars. Initially, all 1,000 examples were to be painted black with gold stripes. By the time production came to a close, 61 red, 50 blue, 50 green, and 50 white cars were delivered to the Hertz Company.

The Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) say there were five ’66 Shelby G.T. 350 colors—Wimbledon White, Candyapple Red, Sapphire Blue, Dark Ivy Green Metallic, and Raven Black. White G.T. 350s had blue stripes. The rest had white stripes. The exception to this rule is the Hertz cars, which had gold stripes. And yes, some of the early Hertz cars were Wimbledon White, which had blue stripes. Le Mans stripes were factory applied in some instances for promotional purposes. The rest were performed by dealers.

Other facts attached
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Ducecpe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
Thank you all again. Another question, did some Hertz cars never have the Le Mans strips? I have not seen many that way, but by now most have been repainted.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »
Thank you all again. Another question, did some Hertz cars never have the Le Mans strips? I have not seen many that way, but by now most have been repainted.

It’s my understanding that some RED cars came without gold strips, I’am not sure if any of the other colors came without stripes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:31:05 PM by Doug C »

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
It's stripes with an e,  not strips
DZ

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
It's stripes with an e,  not strips DZ

Thanks for pointing this out, next time i’ll reread before I press send.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
     My white with blue stripes ( 1 of 18) is a no roof stripe example others in this group were also stripe delete.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 07:57:11 PM »
I thought more would respond, of course color matters... Everything matters in life. 4

Agree, also think its changed over time

Early days, ex rentals were seen as a 2nd choice (so painting the black cars was a thing) - then it went the other way (mine is originally an Ivy green, was painted to black/gold in the 80s by a previous owner), to now where originality is seen as the most important

If/when I do a full resto, will take it back to Ivy purely because it is rarer/original (although I do admit, I find the black/gold combo hard to beat)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 08:28:34 PM »
I owned one of the first non Hertz cars that was an automatic, back then at shows or races I could here the comments... NICE FAKE everyone knows SHELBYS were 4 speed cars. >:( I couldn't get past that, so out with the HIPO 289 and in with a full boogie BOSS 302 and the fun began! ;D

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »
Left out the most important thing, also installed a top loader 4 speed, those were things that mattered to me.