News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mecum John Atzbach Collection July 10-18, 2020

Started by FL SAAC, June 19, 2020, 03:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Greg P on July 17, 2020, 08:38:52 PM
It's hard to get excited that someone with a large investment portfolio has invested in a car that they will probably never drive from another guy who had a large investment portfolio who never drove the car. And we celebrate because those investors spent more than a similar group who chose Bullit as their investment of choice.
That is the fate of million dollar+ cars. Most sit in private collections and are never seen again. Even original 62-70 Shelby cars are not seen as often as in the "old" days of just 20 years ago. We used to take them out and beat on them hard. Now for the most part everyone wants 100 point garage queens. You don't even see as many early cars at a SAAC convention anymore. People brought their newly restored car had it judged and put it back in the garage. Open track days have become 05 up Mustangs and kit Cobras. I'd wager far less than 10% of the cars are original.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Would have given anything to be with the buyer and seller to see their faces.

Seller bitter sweet but a cash infusion of over $3 million dollars

Buyer that face smiling from ear to ear almost causing rupture to the skin

It's hard to get excited that someone with a large investment portfolio has invested in a car that they will probably never drive from another guy who had a large investment portfolio who never drove the car. And we celebrate because those investors spent more than a similar group who chose Bullit as their investment of choice.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

The sad truth, that's why ours isn't 100% but it gets driven and enjoyed

Granted ours is not a 1 of 1 car like this one 0100 or 0139

Everyone is different and receives their satisfaction in their own way. Some look at them, keep them captive in a garage,  out them in trailers and pull them cross country,  some even drive them on the street.

Let the next care taker decide to worship and glorify it on a pedestal when the time comes

Again congratulations to both parties,  enjoy !

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 17, 2020, 11:00:32 PM
That is the fate of million dollar+ cars. Most sit in private collections and are never seen again. Even original 62-70 Shelby cars are not seen as often as in the "old" days of just 20 years ago. We used to take them out and beat on them hard. Now for the most part everyone wants 100 point garage queens. You don't even see as many early cars at a SAAC convention anymore. People brought their newly restored car had it judged and put it back in the garage. Open track days have become 05 up Mustangs and kit Cobras. I'd wager far less than 10% of the cars are original.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Royce Peterson

Well if you had $3+ million dollars and spent it on anything I guess you would be able to decide what to do with that object. If it was me I would drive it like I stole it. Who knows maybe the new owner plans to do just that.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

FL SAAC

That's pocket change for many people (Not us)....

You there, fill my vehicle up with petroleum distillate, wash my windshield and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste !

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 18, 2020, 05:47:29 PM
Well if you had $3+ million dollars and spent it on anything I guess you would be able to decide what to do with that object. If it was me I would drive it like I stole it. Who knows maybe the new owner plans to do just that.

I have all UNGOLD cars

mark p

Well if you had $3+ million dollars and spent it on anything I guess you would be able to decide what to do with that object...

+1 I'd say that pretty much sums it up.
... hope that the new owner enjoys and shares it  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Side-Oilers

Super cool car and famous photo, without a doubt.

Among what's interesting about the whole "Flying Mustang" lore is we have that one excellent photo to drool over. 

But, was it a one-time-only flight, or did Miles do that same feat lap after lap, at the same rise in the track at Green Valley? 

I'd guess more than once.

There are probably a few old photos taken by spectators with a very blurry image of the same thing. Would be fun to see.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

s2ms

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 18, 2020, 08:47:32 PM

Among what's interesting about the whole "Flying Mustang" lore is we have that one excellent photo to drool over. 

But, was it a one-time-only flight, or did Miles do that same feat lap after lap, at the same rise in the track at Green Valley? 

There are probably a few old photos taken by spectators with a very blurry image of the same thing. Would be fun to see.

Pretty much lap after lap. There are a number of photos out there of different angles, a few shown here: http://www.5r002.com/history#. I've also seen a really cool one taken from the rear.
Dave - 6S1757

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Same same
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

Thanks for the link, great prints

Quote from: s2ms on July 18, 2020, 09:02:11 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 18, 2020, 08:47:32 PM

Pretty much lap after lap. There are a number of photos out there of different angles, a few shown here: http://www.5r002.com/history#. I've also seen a really cool one taken from the rear.

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

I have been told by a reliable source, that the suspension limiting cables were developed from that race or races where ken took flight... required them or it would have tore the suspension up something fierce. ;D