News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350 Paxton Supercharger ID help

Started by Birdley, June 20, 2020, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdley

Hello....

My father owned a 1966 Mustang Shelby GT350 with the paxton supercharger.  He sold the car in the mid 80's to someone that had intentions of drag racing the car, my father kept the supercharger.  Well, the supercharger is now mine and I am trying to find out some history about it before I decide what to do with it.

Every picture I have seen of one of these has COBRA etched in the cast iron manifold, mine is different.  I will attach a picture, but the one that I have says SHELBY etched in the manifold.  I am very intrigued by this as I havent seen a picture of one similar.

What can anyone tell me about this blower? 

Thank you all in advance
Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Birdley on June 20, 2020, 02:04:44 PM
Hello....

My father owned a 1966 Mustang Shelby GT350 with the paxton supercharger.  He sold the car in the mid 80's to someone that had intentions of drag racing the car, my father kept the supercharger.  Well, the supercharger is now mine and I am trying to find out some history about it before I decide what to do with it.

Every picture I have seen of one of these has COBRA etched in the cast iron manifold, mine is different.  I will attach a picture, but the one that I have says SHELBY etched in the manifold.  I am very intrigued by this as I havent seen a picture of one similar.

What can anyone tell me about this blower? 

Thank you all in advance
Mike
Basically only the carburetor air box is visible so that is the only part that you can tell anything about . Not in any pictures is the blower and a full picture of the bracketry .The air  boxes are diecast aluminum and not cast iron. The Shelby marked air box indicates it is a late 67 -70 or so  manufactured over the counter Shelby American piece. The super charger air boxes used on the factory supercharged cars typically had the Cobra wording.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Sixx7shelby

More pictures would help, especially the serial number on the supercharger itself and the carb box.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

honker

Bob, this thread made me think of this image I have, I'm not sure what year car this is on, the info I got with the image just said

GT350S, restored car. This might have been on forum 1 ?

Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: honker on June 20, 2020, 08:49:19 PM
Bob, this thread made me think of this image I have, I'm not sure what year car this is on, the info I got with the image just said

GT350S, restored car. This might have been on forum 1 ?

Mike
The paxton marked air box is another style most likely pre or early 66 style. It is not a typical 66 GT350 air box. It is a restored car with various obvious replacement parts added so it can't be used as any kind of historic documentation yardstick .Trying to do the best I can since CC doesn't frequent this forum . Craig is Mr.Paxton.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Notice the Monte Carlo bar with the slight upward bend to compensate for the blower connections. That is the way to do it compared to the ones that have the big loop which basically renders the bar useless because of flex.

George Schalk

As stated by Six7shelby, more pics of the blower serial number and air cleaner housing would help determine what the rest of the SC kit is. The serial number on the blower unit will tell us the date when the blower was produced.  The "SHELBY" lettered carb box is definitely an over the counter item offered 68-70.  Do you still have the carburetor that was with the kit?

Birdley

Hello All....

thank you for your help.... here are 2 more pics, the serial number on the blower is tough to read, but heres what I got -
S19439219-1006g

Next up - I need to identify a 1965 Tiger with some unusual features!

George Schalk

Quote from: Birdley on June 22, 2020, 08:12:56 AM
Hello All....

thank you for your help.... here are 2 more pics, the serial number on the blower is tough to read, but heres what I got -
S19439219-1006g

Next up - I need to identify a 1965 Tiger with some unusual features!
When Paxton produced the S/C kits for Shelby, they designated the blowers with a stamped "C" or "S" at the beginning of each blower serial number.  You mention the s/n is difficult to read, but according to what you have transcribed, your unit does have the "S" at the beginning of the s/n and the last of the s/n would mean the blower kit may have been manufactured in 1969.  Your info would make this an over the counter kit.  Can you show a pic of the actual serial number of the blower unit to confirm all digits?

Birdley

George Schalk

Yes, I see what you mean...tough to read.  It looks more like a "S194302107-10069".  It's definitely a Shelby designated blower unit, but I am not certain about the date, since it's not very legible.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: George Schalk on June 22, 2020, 02:52:37 PM
Yes, I see what you mean...tough to read.  It looks more like a "S194302107-10069".  It's definitely a Shelby designated blower unit, but I am not certain about the date, since it's not very legible.
Can't the general date of usage be surmised by the color the compressor is painted?

TA Coupe

Maybe Randy will jump in and say something because he used to rebuild these back in the day.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Don Johnston

The colors of the SN60 series blower housings did change  through the 1960s.  Craig Conley may have the exact time frame.  I believe a few of the early 1960 models were black.  Then they were blue in 1966, white in 1967-68, then black again.  The re-introduction units in the late 1970s came in blue or red.  Other colors could be ordered.  A lot of records were lost when then Santa Monica shop had a fire in the early 1970s(?).  However, the staff did make some notes by memory of some of the data.

If the OP has the complete kit of blower, air filter canister, pulley, pulley tensioner, etc., this would be  a great item for soemone who wants to add some extra vintage power to a 69-70 GT350.
8)

Birdley

Howdy Y'all

Can someone please give me a rundown of all the parts that I should be looking for to go with blower kit?  Within reach are the actual blower, the manifold and air filter housing.  These obvious items were unfortunately mingled in with a slew of Sunbeam Tiger parts, trying to separate everything. 

Thank you all.