Author Topic: 70 gt 350 convert ?s  (Read 2030 times)

shlb69

• View Profile
70 gt 350 convert ?s
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:04:07 AM »
1) is the trans brace for automatic bare metal. 2) is the reinforcement piece on the bottom of the vehicle as bare ?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 70 gt 350 convert ?s
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 12:23:36 AM »
1) is the trans brace for automatic bare metal.

The transmission brace was bare steel. If you want to get detailed you can reproduce the dark bluing where the separate pieces were welded together (from the heat of the weld) and or reproduce the stretch marks and details that took place during the bending/shaping of the longer piece

2) is the reinforcement piece on the bottom of the vehicle as bare ?

The convertible brace (this year and plant) that bolts between the drivers and passenger floor brace was painted the slop or batch color similar to one of the multiple tints that have been found on the shock tower support brackets, battery tray, coil spring covers and a number of other items at the front of the car. Often a darker grey with a tint of blue or green to, in some cases, almost black

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:33:58 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
That’s what I thought but the brace only showed bare metal which threw me off.  In concourse trailer what is acceptable on trans brace.

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
Thks jeff

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:17:17 PM »
That’s what I thought but the brace only showed bare metal which threw me off.  In concourse trailer what is acceptable on trans brace.
The trans cross member can be painted in MCA trailered if the paint shade reflects a close approximation of the original bare steel. Getting it to look close with paint is the trick. How you do it is the challenge. Many going for the historical look go with bare metal that has been tumbled and then covered with one of a number of rust inhibitor products available .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby