Author Topic: Unfolding a build sheet.  (Read 3802 times)

pmustang

• View Profile
Unfolding a build sheet.
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:55:24 PM »
Hey Folks,  Got a 68 fastback in and stripped out the interior and sent the car for paint, weeks later it came back today and I thought...would be nice to find the build sheet. Looked down and sitting in the detritus found under most fifty year old carpets was the build sheet all tightly folded and curled uo

Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to unfurl and open with the best possibility of wow damage?  I assume steam plays a part.  was thinking a strainer over a pot of boiling water

It's in quite good shape and not a crumbling mess like most.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Unfolding a build sheet.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
There's a tupperware style bowl that is used for steaming vegetables.  It has a screened insert that keeps the food raised up off of the water.  Basically, you need something like that.  Fill with water, put the buildsheet in the bowl, suspended above the water, so it takes in moisture.  Leave it in there, covered for about 24 hours.  Should be able to unfold the buildsheet safely.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

aCMXCVIIIer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
There are hand held devices for steaming clothes or even curtains. 

Another option might be a steam iron held close to but not touching the build sheet.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
I've been able to unfold or remove folds after soaking them during the cleaning process after a very short soak period in a cleaning solution.

I've always used a screen to set them on afterwards so that they don't stick to the surface of where I set them

You will need flat blades or tools to touch and unfold the sheet taking time to position the folded sheet at its best angle to begin with and planning out how it will unfold to minimize turning and too much manipulation

Just what has worded for me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:03:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:43:26 AM »
Thanks folks, I will take photos of the before, during and after....hopefully none of my in tears or the sheet in tatters.

I think back to my first Shelby, A GT500KR, I collected it at a local 7-11 from the haulier, I took it immediately home and tore into the dash like an idiot, I got the build sheet which was perfect and, although being fairly careful, opened it up rather quickly. Thankfully it was in very nice shape and didn't fall to bits.

Peter

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 06:06:52 AM »
Wow, that was easier than I expected

The wifes floor steamer worked a treat. I unfolded a bit at a time with steam sessions in between

I will post pics as soon as my phone battery regenerates.

Thanks again folks, Peter

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Hey Folks,  Got a 68 fastback in and stripped out the interior and sent the car for paint, weeks later it came back today and I thought...would be nice to find the build sheet. Looked down and sitting in the detritus found under most fifty year old carpets was the build sheet all tightly folded and curled uo

Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to unfurl and open with the best possibility of wow damage?  I assume steam plays a part.  was thinking a strainer over a pot of boiling water

Where do you find s build sheet? I have original interior and perhaps you could suggest where I shou6lokk for a buildsheet.

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »

Where do you find s build sheet? I have original interior and perhaps you could suggest where I shou6lokk for a buildsheet.
On 4201 it was stuck under the front seat. You can still see the marks left by the seat springs.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:53:04 PM »

On 4201 it was stuck under the front seat. You can still see the marks left by the seat springs.

Driver's side?

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »

Driver's side?
Yes, day I drove out of the dealership, fuse blew. Took it back, they replaced fuse. Few weeks later blew again, took to local Shelby dealer, replaced fuse. Third time. I took the seat out to lay under dash. Found build sheet. Found wiring harness wrapped around windshield washer pedal. Took it back to Shelby dealer so they could fix it.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 02:11:13 AM »
Sorry folks, never posted pics

Build Sheet https://imgur.com/gallery/FoMWg

This was on the floor of a gutted car, fell out of the dash and tape was there as well split and coiled up 

Usually we find 67 non Shelby ones wrapped around the dash harness or speedo cable

Found only one 65/66 non Shelby one tucked into the very top of the dash opening

Never found one under a seat, in a door or under carpet yet 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 04:34:22 AM »
Usually we find 67 non Shelby ones wrapped around the dash harness or speedo cable

Found only one 65/66 non Shelby one tucked into the very top of the dash opening

Never found one under a seat, in a door or under carpet yet

Looks like your more familiar with NJ built Mustangs. Location and just the way they were used and  applied differed depending on assembly plant and their typical practices
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
Cool, I go through a heck of alot of Mustangs, 100 in the past two years.  Would love to know the locations to be able to look

Cheers   Peter