Author Topic: 1970 Shelby GT500 Project  (Read 6219 times)

5s386

• View Profile
1970 Shelby GT500 Project
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »

scottwo

• View Profile
Re: 1970 Shelby GT500 Project
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:43:44 PM »
No VIN tag, no good. Parts car only.
You can't title a car with the vin stamped on top of the shock towers, only with the one riveted on the cowl.
Nobody reproduces replacement vin tags because it's illegal.

There might even be an outside chance the original vin tag was moved to another car.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Interesting taillight panel and or choice

As far as dash VIN tags  maybe some future owner will "find" the correct one for the car. Lots of things are illegal in this country though it doesn't doesn't seem to stop everyone  ::) Will make things a little more questionable IMHO given the post and the ad
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »
Looks “turnkey” to me.... :P

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
You can't title a car with the vin stamped on top of the shock towers, only with the one riveted on the cowl.

There might even be an outside chance the original vin tag was moved to another car.

yes you can
that riveted tag can be removed or lost
What's most inportant is what is permantly stamped in the metal structure of the vehicle.
None of our 1966 shelbys  and other years even have riveted cowl tags. I think you mean on the dash behind the windshield.
If you show up with the correct paperwork the car never gets looked at in most states.
Ive seen cars titled where someone in the past swapped out complete bolt in dash assemblies. The wanted a different dash setup. the tags didnt get moved back to the correct cars and now the dash and stamped aprons dont match. The cars still had titles matching their stamped in numbers on the aprons.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »

It has been my experience that you can have a car inspected and titled with the apron VINs. You might end up with a state issued VIN attached to the car, but it can be done.

There are people that reproduce replacement VIN tags.

The possibility that the tag is on another car is real. That is a good observation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »
It has been my experience that you can have a car inspected and titled with the apron VINs. You might end up with a state issued VIN attached to the car, but it can be done.

+1

Depends on the state when it was done and sometimes the inspector. In Calif have seen them issues a new tag, often attached in the door jamb on cars were the VIN is not visible in the engine compartment. Sometimes it's a new VIN number (made up by the state) other times its the cars original VIN on a sate tag again depending on the inspector and the determination. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
The person selling the car is on the forum and posted it for sale in the Cars For Sale section.  Not sure how to post the listing but I will try.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=11042.0

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »

Uh yes you can get a VIN tag made if you can prove the car is legit....with vin stamped on aprons Or wherever the MFG stamps them  and a legal document like a title.......and have the car inspected and titled in your name.......

There are hundreds if not thousands of high end cars dating way back like a Dusenberg, Bugatti and even Shelbys running around with reproduction tags.....as long as the car had the right items to prove car was legit a company will make the tags........now yes tags are made by others for all the wrong reasons

The FIRST THING YOU DO when considering a vehicle like the one posted here is have your friendly police officer run the vin and see who last registered to and if stolen.....once that’s done then do your homework
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:33:12 PM by SCJSTU »
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
The thing is not if you can get a window vin tag made . The thing is if it is worth it to go to the trouble and expense given how much it needs and what you would have in it once done even to marginal restored standards vs. starting with a more expensive but more complete 70 GT500 car needing restoration.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »
Having the VIN run through the authorities would be the first thing to do.  Just as the OP indicated and IMO it seems awfully strange that someone would take a Shelby and try to make Mach 1 out of it unless you were trying to cover something up. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »
First....
The VINs are stamped on the aprons of the car but the tag is missing
If this were a 66 Shelby with all the numbers but the Shelby tag missing it would be sought after and the
missing tag would be quickly forgiven.

Second..
There's really no evidence that someone knowingly tried to make a Shelby into a Mach 1.
If the car was stripped perhaps he thought he was restoring a 1969 Mustang....Not a real Shelby

About 20 years ago I looked at a 1970 Mach 1 for sale in New Bedford Massachusetts.
There was a 351 engine in the car and there was really nothing saying it was a Mach 1
But it had a "Z" in the VIN...
And the title said "1970 Mustang"

I'm simply saying that the VINS on aprons or the frame of any vehicle should be more important than missing tags.

Just my .02...

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 09:30:21 AM »
I still can't wrap my head around $31,000 for a shell that has absolutely nothing. Forget the tag.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 09:47:26 AM »
I'm not well versed on 69/70's parts cost but I imagine you are looking at least another $30K in parts and $50-60K in labor and paint which is extremely conservative if someone built the car for you.  $115-120K all in.....  If you did most of the work yourself, you would still be in it at $80-90K IMO without good provenance if you decided to resale it. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
I'm not well versed on 69/70's parts cost but I imagine you are looking at least another $30K in parts and $50-60K in labor and paint which is extremely conservative if someone built the car for you.  $115-120K all in.....  If you did most of the work yourself, you would still be in it at $80-90K IMO without good provenance if you decided to resale it.

Correct..

Without question...

This is a beginner car for someone without a big budget but gets them into a GT 500