Author Topic: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe  (Read 8055 times)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
I purchased a new 5/16" Marti Auto Works Concours Fuel Hose kit from NPD yesterday.  Cut a short length when I reinstalled the carburetor on my '67 GT-350.  The hose leaked badly.  I checked the hose I.D. with that of a generic 5/16" I.D. hose purchased from NAPA.  The NAPA hose is visibly smaller and fits much tighter.  I am using the spring clamps, not the crimp ones.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with these fuel hose kits.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:54:17 PM »
I purchased a new 5/16" Marti Auto Works Concours Fuel Hose kit from NPD yesterday.  Cut a short length when I reinstalled the carburetor on my '67 GT-350.  The hose leaked badly.  I checked the hose I.D. with that of a generic 5/16" I.D. hose purchased from NAPA.  The NAPA hose is visibly smaller and fits much tighter.  I am using the spring clamps, not the crimp ones.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with these fuel hose kits.

Greek
My first thought is that a 3/8 hose got mixed up with a 5/16 hose when it came time to apply ink stamps. It also may be that the metric equivalent size will run slightly larger in diameter which may explain things. Ordinarily a screw clamp would make the difference irrelevant however for the historic look using the spring clamps may not supply the necessary squeeze to keep them from leaking. Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:23:57 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
Sounds like you might have a '68 kit that was mis marked? Everything in '67 should be 5/16".

Greek
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
Very well could be 3/8" mismarked or metric.  Returning kit tomorrow and see if another kit is correct.  Will let you know what happens.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 12:14:35 AM »
As noted in previous post. The hoses on my Shelby all had to be changed that were just over a year old.  The fuel hoses from the fuel log to the carburetors were hard as a rock . The line from the apron to the pump was in the same condition and had cracked. Even the sender to main fuel line was brittle.
I might expect a little bit of hardening in the engine compartment, but it makes little sense at the tank. I had no issue with loose hoses and used both sizes.  The main line is 3/8 and the fuel log to carb are 5/16"  I used the spring clamps at the fuel line to sender and pinch clamps everywhere else as per factory.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
As noted in previous post. The hoses on my Shelby all had to be changed that were just over a year old.  The fuel hoses from the fuel log to the carburetors were hard as a rock . The line from the apron to the pump was in the same condition and had cracked. Even the sender to main fuel line was brittle.
I might expect a little bit of hardening in the engine compartment, but it makes little sense at the tank. I had no issue with loose hoses and used both sizes.  The main line is 3/8 and the fuel log to carb are 5/16"  I used the spring clamps at the fuel line to sender and pinch clamps everywhere else as per factory.
Maybe a typo but for the 67 historic look pinch clamps from fuel line to sender and  olive drab marked spring clamps everywhere else .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 12:32:22 AM »
Bob:
The quads and fuel log had stainless crimps in '82 when I purchased the car. As for the fuel line I went to the 3/8" feed tank to pump down the outside of the rocker. So all clamps at the log and the main feed to the pump should be Olive pinch clamps?

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 09:38:33 AM »
So if I order a set of these and they happen to come in Metric will they fit my car perfectly since I'm in Canada?  :D

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
We had not thought of that but after pondering on it. That is truly a profound and deep statement

So if I order a set of these and they happen to come in Metric will they fit my car perfectly since I'm in Canada?  :D

QSS
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »

QSS

Well technically speaking they are metric so they will fit if you live anywhere except Federated States of Micronesia, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Myanmar, Palau, Samoa, and the United States.

Theses are the only countries that do not use the metric system  (sort of)  ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

highland green

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 10:22:33 AM »
i had the same experience. rummaged through some old parts and found original line and spring clamps. original much tighter, :)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »
Bob:
The quads and fuel log had stainless crimps in '82 when I purchased the car. As for the fuel line I went to the 3/8" feed tank to pump down the outside of the rocker. So all clamps at the log and the main feed to the pump should be Olive pinch clamps?
5/16 fuel log hose used the crimp clamps. Stainless is typically too brittle and expensive to be used in crimp clamps so they are typically a bright zinc plated steel . Short hose between sender and fuel line used crimp clamps.  Just the fuel line past the sender to the pump used the spring clamps. The olive identification color is for 5/16. If using 3/8 line on a 67 but wanted the historic look you could paint the silver color 3/8 spring clamps olive drab so as to not draw attention to the larger 68 model line on a 67.That is if you cared to disguise it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:51:02 AM by Bob Gaines »

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 03:16:32 PM »

QSS

Well technically speaking they are metric so they will fit if you live anywhere except Federated States of Micronesia, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Myanmar, Palau, Samoa, and the United States.

You missed Bangledesh  ;D

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
So others reading can understand better what the discussion is about,  over the years the Marti hoses and cables have transitioned to the metric size. In the cables it means that the diameter of the cable is larger. In some cases it is easier to distinguish the larger metric then others. For example the positive battery cables are pretty easy to distinguish the larger metric form the original diameter 65-70. Easy for me because I have a number of original that I am used to comparing to. Sometimes ebay sellers try to pass off the metric cables as original. I haven't had any experience yet of problems associated with larger diameter fuel line ,heater or radiator hoses but I image it is coming. 

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »

QSS

You missed Bangledesh  ;D

Bangladesh Adopted the metric system July 1, 1982
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold