Author Topic: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe  (Read 8058 times)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Re: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 06:11:43 PM »
Heard Bangladesh is lovely this time of year..... :o

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 07:19:19 PM »
Here is the outcome.

I stopped by NPD to show them the hose was too large for 5/16" fuel line.  Told the salesperson I installed a short section and it leaked.  He promptly measured the hose I.D and said "it is 5/16" so nothing is wrong.  He went and got another hose kit and measured the hose I.D. and said "it is 5/16". 

I said, " here is a piece of hose I bought for 5/16' tubing and it fits perfectly."  He measured my piece of hose and said,"it is a 1/4" I.D., it is miss marked.  No matter how hard I tried to convince him that the Marti hose was too big he would not relent.  I told him this hose is useless to me for may application I want to return it.  Since I had cut off a short section, he would not take it back.  Could be my last purchase from NPD.

My understanding has been a hose for a specific size tube has a smaller I.D. than the tube so it can seal better.  Maybe I am wrong, but logic tells me something different.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 07:54:36 PM »
So if I order a set of these and they happen to come in Metric will they fit my car perfectly since I'm in Canada?  :D

QSS

Well technically speaking they are metric so they will fit if you live anywhere except Federated States of Micronesia, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Myanmar, Palau, Samoa, and the United States.

Theses are the only countries that do not use the metric system  (sort of)  ;)
You missed Bangledesh  ;D

Bangladesh Adopted the metric system July 1, 1982
I knew that, I was just testing you ::)  ;D

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 11:55:19 PM »
Here is the outcome.

I stopped by NPD to show them the hose was too large for 5/16" fuel line.  Told the salesperson I installed a short section and it leaked.  He promptly measured the hose I.D and said "it is 5/16" so nothing is wrong.  He went and got another hose kit and measured the hose I.D. and said "it is 5/16". 

I said, " here is a piece of hose I bought for 5/16' tubing and it fits perfectly."  He measured my piece of hose and said,"it is a 1/4" I.D., it is miss marked.  No matter how hard I tried to convince him that the Marti hose was too big he would not relent.  I told him this hose is useless to me for may application I want to return it.  Since I had cut off a short section, he would not take it back.  Could be my last purchase from NPD.

My understanding has been a hose for a specific size tube has a smaller I.D. than the tube so it can seal better.  Maybe I am wrong, but logic tells me something different.
It is the metric scenario I suspected. You need to talk to Scott. He is a concerned Mustang car guy ,MCA concours judge and best of all part of the NPD hierarchy . I will try and find contact info for him.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 12:55:37 AM »
Shalseth@npdlink.com.   ;)

Chris
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:57:10 AM by cbrown »

jswoody

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
Bob:
The quads and fuel log had stainless crimps in '82 when I purchased the car. As for the fuel line I went to the 3/8" feed tank to pump down the outside of the rocker. So all clamps at the log and the main feed to the pump should be Olive pinch clamps?
5/16 fuel log hose used the crimp clamps. Stainless is typically too brittle and expensive to be used in crimp clamps so they are typically a bright zinc plated steel . Just the fuel line past the sender to the pump used the spring clamps. The olive identification color is for 5/16. If using 3/8 line on a 67 but wanted the historic look you could paint the silver color 3/8 spring clamps olive drab so as to not draw attention to the larger 68 model line on a 67.That is if you cared to disguise it.

Sorry to back track to this, however I need a little clarification.  I thought 1967 used all crimp clamps.   Is this the connection between the fuel tank sender and undercarriage fuel line? 

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
Bob this is not correct - crimp clamps on rubber section at the sender?

Also line to the carb - spring clamps Olive color/finish?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:43:21 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
Shalseth@npdlink.com.   ;)

Chris

Thanks for the information.  I will send him an email.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »

JD,crimp clamp on rubber section at sender is correct. GT350 or GT500. The assemblyline manual confirms although small illustration. Crimp clamp is the same type as your picture. I never addressed the smallblock fuel pump to carb given the GT500 Going Thing posed question at the time. On the GT350 it should be spring clamp for a GT350 however in that case for what ever reason I do not believe olive drab like the other spring clamps on th fuel line. I have found those to be a dark black oxide. Like what is found in fuel filter kits. I don't know if that is where they came from in the case of the GT350 just that they coincidentally look the same.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:53:10 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »

JD, I amended my earlier post to make it more clear.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
Bob - THANKS for the clarification. 

I think that since the original poster (greekz) was asking about '67 GT350 at the carb some of us were looking that way not so much the GT500 direction.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »
Bob - THANKS for the clarification. 

I think that since the original poster (greekz) was asking about '67 GT350 at the carb some of us were looking that way not so much the GT500 direction.

JD
Not the first time a thread has taken a RIGHT TURN . :o

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »

The crimp clamps with the indentation are later reproductions that are visually incorrect for Concours.
The original clamps do not have the indentation as far as I know...
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »

The crimp clamps with the indentation are later reproductions that are visually incorrect for Concours.
The original clamps do not have the indentation as far as I know...
+1 . The clamps with the indents are not the type used on the assemblyine. The indents are not reproduction but the evolution of the design. The later clamps incorporate the indent as a way to strengthen the crimp part of the clamp. It is incorported into the design to help keep it from collapsing when crimped.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
Bob, so the later dimpled version is OK for Division II concours?

(and yes we do seem to veer around on topics don't we ;-) )
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:54:42 PM by JD »