Author Topic: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe  (Read 8061 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Marti Auto Works Strikes Again.....Maybe
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »
Bob, so the later dimpled version is OK for Division II concours?

(and yes we do seem to veer around on topics don't we ;-) )
There would be at least a mention if not a small deduction depending on how it looks. You can metal work the dimple out without too much trouble .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
  At the carb, those squeezer type clamps.  Wasn't there an issue with  the squareness or the roundness and length of the squeeze tabs?  And where to find them.
  The olive drab color shouldn't be an issue as camo paints are popular right now at the home centers.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020, 11:17:28 AM »
Squared off ends are assembly line style I do believe and  rounded are later reproduction.  When I go to salvage yards I always look for the squared of style on fuel lines and brake booster.

chris

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
Squared off ends are assembly line style I do believe and  rounded are later reproduction.  When I go to salvage yards I always look for the squared of style on fuel lines and brake booster.

chris
+1.  However the rounded ends are not reproduction just a evolution of the part . Apparently the sharp edge were a undesirably aspect.  The reproduction companies sell the rounded ear spring clamps because that is all they can get easily. Same with the dimpled crimp clamps. It sounds like some more parts you can have made like assemblyline Chris . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
Think you will find that Ford and their suppliers went to the rounded corners of the squeeze clamps after the period we focus on here on this site and others. Not that it makes allot of difference since they are still not correct for our cars - just wanted to offer that .

Also the reproduction pinch clamp without dimples were available for many years. Must have just gotten cheaper or someone found an easier source for the ones with the dimples so they took over the market
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:08:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
  At the carb, those squeezer type clamps.  Wasn't there an issue with  the squareness or the roundness and length of the squeeze tabs?  And where to find them.
  The olive drab color shouldn't be an issue as camo paints are popular right now at the home centers.
All of the squeeze clamps of the 60's era will have the squared off ears. The fuel filter clamps squeeze clamps were not olive drab . The other ones on a 67 were.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2020, 04:03:45 PM »
Just to add to the discussion....

Got curious and measured a couple hose pieces I had laying around. Marti piece (at least I think it's Marti) is leftover from the last hose change a couple years ago. NOS piece is from a period Autolite fuel filter kit.  Marti OD and ID are slightly larger than NOS, Marti ID is a loose 5/16, NOS a tight 5/16.

Dave - 6S1757

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
Nice comparison.  I checked a couple of my FG-14 and FG-15 NOS Fuel Filter kits as well and the hoses in them have an inside diameter closer to the aftermarket hose from NAPA.  Somewhere I have a partial Marti hose kit from several years ago, hopefully I will find it.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »
Just to add to the discussion....

Got curious and measured a couple hose pieces I had laying around. Marti piece (at least I think it's Marti) is leftover from the last hose change a couple years ago. NOS piece is from a period Autolite fuel filter kit.  Marti OD and ID are slightly larger than NOS, Marti ID is a loose 5/16, NOS a tight 5/16.

Not a big surprise given the other items in his line up that use metric equivalents. The next thing you need to check is the radiator hoses. ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2020, 08:51:52 AM »
I'm not sure entirely what issues Marti has with producing products? Perhaps it is that he uses the original materials and methods.

I just installed a set of his spark plug wires and was having "gremlins" appear all over the place.

It turns out that three wires were cracked and grounding out right out of the box. I changed back to an HEI stile and all is good.

So the wires look good on display but are just a can of worms for me to run.

As a result, I am not entirely surprised to hear of these other issues at all?

Kevin Marti has been quoted as saying "Shelby guys are just a pain in the as s". I guess he knows me pretty well? ::)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:57:41 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 12:50:32 PM »
[Kevin Marti has been quoted as saying "Shelby guys are just a pain in the as s". I guess he knows me pretty well? ::)
[/quote]

I would say to him, just improve the quality of your parts!  If it was not for the group of enthusiasts wanting original looking parts, he would have no business.  Many car enthusiasts I know do not really care if the spark plug wires, hoses, etc. have original markings or appearance.  They want their car to perform without problems.  It is not rocket science to make a correct part.  He used to do it on a regular basis.  I can remember buying his parts many years ago with little or no defects.  It is through customer feedback manufacturers maintain the integrity of their products and services. 

Would a customer pay a few dollars more for a part that fits, looks and performs correctly?  I certainly would.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »
[Kevin Marti has been quoted as saying "Shelby guys are just a pain in the as s". I guess he knows me pretty well? ::)

I would say to him, just improve the quality of your parts!  If it was not for the group of enthusiasts wanting original looking parts, he would have no business.  Many car enthusiasts I know do not really care if the spark plug wires, hoses, etc. have original markings or appearance.  They want their car to perform without problems.  It is not rocket science to make a correct part.  He used to do it on a regular basis.  I can remember buying his parts many years ago with little or no defects.  It is through customer feedback manufacturers maintain the integrity of their products and services. 

Would a customer pay a few dollars more for a part that fits, looks and performs correctly?  I certainly would.
[/quote]

There may be something lost when it's translated into Chinese? I don't think he makes anything. Just buys parts when and wherever he can.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »

There may be something lost when it's translated into Chinese? I don't think he makes anything. Just buys parts when and wherever he can.
[/quote]

Maybe so, but he can make sure items meet specification.

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 09:00:46 PM »
Update:

Contacted Scott at NPD and received a very quick response from NPD's Operations Manager stating he was sorry for my lack of customer service and will fully refund my money.  He also said they would be contacting Marti Auto Works to further investigate the problem.  Will keep updating as news comes in.

Thanks again for the email link.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:08:58 AM by greekz »

Horsman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
I installed the Marti 5/16" fuel line kit and clamps on my 67 Mustang GT, leaked at the tank and fuel pump immediately, very disappointing. I ended up using fuel line from the local parts store that fit perfect and was not going to degrade with the ethanol found in todays fuels.