Author Topic: 70 350 convert  (Read 2954 times)

shlb69

• View Profile
70 350 convert
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
Does anyone know the exact paint to use on the grille, upper grill bar , lower grill bar-foglight bracket bar and brace

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 70 350 convert
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
Does anyone know the exact paint to use on the grille, upper grill bar , lower grill bar-foglight bracket bar and brace
How about dark argent .  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
So all are the dark argent?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
So all are the dark argent?
All painted the same color except triangle brace which is semi gloss black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »
Here is a shot to show the location and panel/bracket Bob is referring to for you and or others viewing (green arrow) Of course the hood latch support is the slop paint color like or similar to other items on your car.

Thought I would also add that the grill was painted in place attached to the front end and allot of pieces up front received the paint color including a thin section of the fender that faces inward but hidden when the hood is closed

Using an original paint car as an example here is a picture showing the dark argent (green arrows)  and semi-gloss black (purple arrows) pieces that was labeled for another thread and discussion. Hope it helps

Different original paint car

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:05:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »
Just to clarify without going to all of the steps and details - the grill parts were installed into the opening after the body color had been applied to the front end  and then repainted that section. Also don't forget the "black out" around the turn indicator lights ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 02:02:39 PM »
I thought I would mention that although hard to tell the hood twist lock brackets are black and not painted grey like the grill.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
I thought I would mention that although hard to tell the hood twist lock brackets are black and not painted grey like the grill.

+1  Marked with the purple arrows in the picture above as is the radiator support.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »
Jeff the grill wasn't painted in place as it was painted separately not attached to headlight buckets then bolted in place last after the front nose was installed and lined up in place then the headlight rings were screwed in place after the grill was installed. The six grill bolts and the 6 headlight ring screws were all phosphate and oil plated not painted grill paint.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
Jeff the grill wasn't painted in place as it was painted separately not attached to headlight buckets then bolted in place last after the front nose was installed and lined up in place then the headlight rings were screwed in place after the grill was installed. The six grill bolts and the 6 headlight ring screws were all phosphate and oil plated not painted grill paint.

To continue the discussion - Can you then  explain the shadow affect where the top bar and grill overlap for example I'm seeing on unrestored cars?  Not to bare metal to an earlier applied color but to the three large sections in the middle. Is it possible that the grill was practically assembled when painted ?

More than happy to pull the earlier post as I understand we learn things as time passes- as the discussion dictates
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:16:48 AM by J_Speegle »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:44:12 AM »