News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Edelbrock 1724 fuel pump for FE

Started by gt350bp, June 26, 2020, 08:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Is anyone using an Edelbrock 1724 fuel pump on their FE? It appears to be the only pump that uses 3/8" NPT fittings and will support 600 horsepower.

Any input or comments on Edelbrock fuel pumps or a recommended mechanical fuel pump for an FE stroker will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

The Going Thing

Yes. I am running the 1724 on my 67 GT500 with the factory dual quads on a 427. I had problems with the Carter. It was putting out almost 9 PSI and causing flooding issues.
The Edelbrock stays at about 5.5-6 PSI. The rich idle has all but subsided as well.

gt350bp

Thanks for the input, as that is what I needed to know! Just looking at the specifications on the Edelbrock pump, makes it look like a better option for a highly modified FE. The only thing I do not like is the polished finish. I guess a quick scuff and maybe a coat of brushed nickel spray paint will make it less noticeable?

Thanks again.

Don
gt350bp

The Going Thing

Don,
I think it's actually polished aluminum, not chrome. If so, you can simply disassemble the pump and have it blasted.  Be SURE to make sure they/you mask the lever and make sure there isn't any residual blasting media left. It is threaded differently than the Carter pumps. Let me see if I can find the part number for the brass fittings you'll need on my Summit invoice. I am running a 3/8" fuel line nipple and adapter for the pump to carburetor feed line.
If you're running 5/16 you should be able to contact their specifier for what you'll need.   I am packing my flight bag and ironing my uniform.
I'll let you know either way before I depart this afternoon.

gt350bp

I have ordered the proper 3/8" barb and inverted flair for 3/8" fuel line. I'm using a 67 GT 500 3/8" fuel line from the pump to the Summit Racing carburetor fuel line with fuel pressure gauge. I used a 45 degree fitting at the Summit Racing fuel line as use on a 67 GT 500 with dual quads. I'm hoping the Edelbrock pump will index the same as the Carter, so the hard lines work all the way to the carburetor. Currently using a 750 cfm Quick Fuels carb, but dyno testing shows that it can use a larger carburetor.

Thanks for your help.

Don
gt350bp   

The Going Thing

I have the same set up on my 67 GT500. It is set up for AN.  I had to clock my pump.  The fittings you'll need from Summit are:
EDD124660, EDD821660. They were 3.99 each. Lubricate the fittings well when you install them.

Bob Gaines

There is a different way to dull down the finish if truly polished aluminum pump .You can use some aluminum spray cleaner on it from the auto parts store.  Get the kind that says not for polished surfaces. The acid in the cleaner will dull down substantially the shine. I do this process after polishing out scars in P/S pump aluminum brackets . I have to dull down the shiny polished bracket to look more factory. I typically spray on quickly to get full foaming coverage for consistent level of sheen all over. Then I rinse with water. I leave on only maybe 10 seconds before rinsing for the dull sheen I am looking for. Leave foamed up aluminum cleaner on longer for even duller. I would try it quickly like I typically do first then if needed duller try again. That is if truly polished aluminum without any clear coating.  Just thought that might be less of a hassle to completely disassemble the entire pump inside and out and risk contaminating with grit media. I don't know but you can try it . I would of course plug all fittings and tape up the pump arm before spraying.You get the idea.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Bob, If he wanted to restore to some semblance of cast texture it will need to be blasted. I used those acidic wheel cleaners on my intake and aluminum oil pan. They worked excellent. 

gt350bp

Good comments on the finish, as I will likely just try to dull it down a bit, as I do not want to get into a pump disassembly. Just do not like the shiny chrome look. The Summit fuel line with pressure gauge is too much chrome, but I have used these on other vehicles and have been happy with them if you upgrade the gauge to liquid filled.

Ordered the 3/8" NPT inverted flair from my local NAPA store early this morning and they had it by 10:30 am.($4.69) I'm going to stay with the 67 GT 500 3/8" fuel line and stay away from AN fittings and braided lines. Just a personal preference to use hard lines from the pump up to the carburetor..

Thanks for the helpful tips and information. Hope to have it up and running for next weekend, as the pump is expected by Thursday / Friday.

Don
gt350bp   

The Going Thing

I'm not running AN fittings either. I was talking about how the pump inlet and outlet is threaded. The two listings is for a nipple and a male/ female fitting.

gt350bp

Looks like a 3/8" NPT male inverted flair and 3/8" NPT hose barb? That is what I am going to use so I can use the 3/8" dia. 67 GT 500 pre-bent fuel line from pump to Summit carburetor fuel line with pressure gauge. I'm just hoping the Edelbrock pump will index close to how the Carter pump does?

Royce Peterson

The Carter M6905 pump has 3/8" NPT fittings and will easily support that amount of power. It is rated at a little less than 6 PSI and is perfect for Holley carbureted applications. I like it a lot because it is an improved version of a 4441S pump (it has one additional check valve). I usually rebuild 4441S pumps with the parts from a 6905 in order to take advantage of the improved flow capacity.

Link to specs:
https://www.cartercarburetor.net/carter-m6905-mechanical-fuel-pump/

Quote from: gt350bp on June 26, 2020, 08:30:47 PM
Is anyone using an Edelbrock 1724 fuel pump on their FE? It appears to be the only pump that uses 3/8" NPT fittings and will support 600 horsepower.

Any input or comments on Edelbrock fuel pumps or a recommended mechanical fuel pump for an FE stroker will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

The Going Thing

Once again, I guess Royce didn't read. The M6905 puts out as high as 9 psi of fuel pressure. Fit isn't the issue.  This was also a problem noted in two other forums. It blows the needles off the seat in Holley Carburetors. If staying with factory looking plumbing there is no way to run a fuel pressure regulator.
It's why I removed the brand new 6905 Carter to begin with on an engine with less than 300 miles.
Drew, our resident carb re-builder is the one who told me to check the fuel pressure and recommended the Edelbrock.
The Edelbrock is about 5.5 psi and has solved the issue for many who suffer this issue and dilemma.

gt350bp

Royce,

Good morning!

When I checked the spec sheet on the Carter 6905 pump, it indicates 1/4" NPT fittings? The Edelbrock pump was the only pump showing 3/8" NPT fittings.

I definitely like the look better, but want the larger flow capacity and do not want to have to run a regulator.

Don
gt350bp

The Going Thing

Don, the fitting was a bit to sort out. You're correct in your assumption. It's 1/4 NPT. Your converting 3/8" in and out. I dug through my invoices to get the numbers for you.
Make sure you lubricate the brass fittings when you install them. The aluminum was rough threaded and a little difficult to thread into the pump.