Author Topic: Edelbrock 1724 fuel pump for FE  (Read 4033 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edelbrock 1724 fuel pump for FE
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
Got my pump yesterday and the threads were not very good! Good advise to lube them, but still have a concern, as my inlet barb ran very tight and felt like it may have galled the threads? Will see if it will pose any problems when I get the pump installed this morning! Will have to adjust on the hard fuel line from pump to carburetor fuel line, but should still fit.

Thanks for the help and input.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
Help!

Installed the pump and lines early this morning with no problem. Left the fuel line fitting slightly loose at the 45 degree fitting at the carb fuel line with pressure gauge. After cranking for a few seconds got fuel at the 45 degree fitting but no fuel pressure at the gauge and no fuel in the bowls. Tightened the fitting  and cranked again for about 10 seconds, but no pressure and no fuel in the bowls? Never remember having to prime the carb or? Coil wire off, just trying to pressurize the fuel system. Need help! What is happening that I'm not getting fuel to the bowls?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:58 AM »
Daa! Not thinking this morning!

Cracked the carburetor line fittings and cranked for about 2 seconds and have fuel to the bowls! Yahoo!

Clean up, and re-install the power steering and should be ready to go. Another problem has popped up, but will deal with the Starter Bendix not engaging every time.

Don
gt350bp

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
Help!

Installed the pump and lines early this morning with no problem. Left the fuel line fitting slightly loose at the 45 degree fitting at the carb fuel line with pressure gauge. After cranking for a few seconds got fuel at the 45 degree fitting but no fuel pressure at the gauge and no fuel in the bowls. Tightened the fitting  and cranked again for about 10 seconds, but no pressure and no fuel in the bowls? Never remember having to prime the carb or? Coil wire off, just trying to pressurize the fuel system. Need help! What is happening that I'm not getting fuel to the bowls?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

I've been battling gremlins myself recently. two steps forward, one step back.

I pressurize the front pump with an electric pump in the trunk. That helps particularly when the car sits for a few weeks without running it.

Apparently there is some method in which the original fuel lines are bent from the pump to the carb.
It seems that metal tubing doesn't like 90 bends even if nice and smooth with a tubing bender method.

The 90 degree bends foster vapor lock, even cold. Strange but apparently true.

In my dual 4 set up I recently eliminated the factory dual 4 fuel log due to space conflicts. I went through extraordinary efforts to bend several configurations of tubing to replace it.

All that did was creat vapor lock under normal operating temperatures. I'm still working this out and may need to go back to the original fuel log? I'm not there yet but the answer from me is avoid 90 degree bends in both the metal fuel lines AND hoses.

Truth is stranger then fiction. I know. I'm strange too?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »
I had fuel pressure issues on my GT 350 Competition replica for quite some time. Changed everything accept the rollover valve in the vent line from the R-Model fuel cell, and now the fuel pressure is a constant 5 1/2 lbs. I think the valve was sticking and preventing proper venting is all that I can figure? My car sits for weeks at a time, so I use an electric fuel pump to pressurize the system and push fuel to the mechanical pump. Had to bleed the fuel system on this car also, as the Mallory pump does not like being installed above the fuel tank outlet. Mallory Technical Services flat out said that it must be installed below the fuel outlet. SW 240-A spec indicates that their pump will draw 48", so installing approximately 12" above the outlet in a R-Model is not an issue. Another benefit to the 240-A is that it allows the mechanical pump to pull through it unlike the Mallory 110 pump, so it can be shut down when cruising.

Might want to check that your tank is venting properly before redoing fuel lines and fittings?

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
It seems that metal tubing doesn't like 90 bends even if nice and smooth with a tubing bender method.

The 90 degree bends foster vapor lock, even cold. Strange but apparently true.

Truth is stranger then fiction.

Actually, although I question if the fluid medium at its' mechanically induced pressure makes this relevant, but yes, as in the process of blending the steel tube a loss in the cross sectional area within the tube is induced, this causing an increased velocity of the fluid in this area and this increased fluid velocity causes a reduction in the pressure particularly at the inside or short-turn of this radius; although being on the high pressure side of the system and with appropriate inside diameter tubing, with a proper execution of bending, the velocity differential should not be that great............normally.        :)

Scott.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
Better photo of the rollover valve that I believe was sticking?

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
Not from my experience it doesn't. Perhaps you did not read the Carter specs. It puts out 5 - 6 PSI. I am not surprised, you tyypically give advice that is clueless and not based on reality.

Once again, I guess Royce didn't read. The M6905 puts out as high as 9 psi of fuel pressure. Fit isn't the issue.  This was also a problem noted in two other forums. It blows the needles off the seat in Holley Carburetors. If staying with factory looking plumbing there is no way to run a fuel pressure regulator.
It's why I removed the brand new 6905 Carter to begin with on an engine with less than 300 miles.
Drew, our resident carb re-builder is the one who told me to check the fuel pressure and recommended the Edelbrock.
The Edelbrock is about 5.5 psi and has solved the issue for many who suffer this issue and dilemma.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »
Your know-it-all one upmanship gets old. Drew Projedinik is the one that pointed this out.  This is a problem with about 99% of them. Even on the FE forum. Yes, I know what it claims spec is.  It isn't.  I had the same issue and it stopped the flooding. This issue is covered thoroughly in the FE power forum as well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:54:34 PM by The Going Thing »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
............... as the Mallory pump does not like being installed above the fuel tank outlet. Mallory Technical Services flat out said that it must be installed below the fuel outlet. SW 240-A spec indicates that their pump will draw 48", so installing approximately 12" above the outlet in a R-Model is not an issue.

Keep in mind that although your observation of the S.W. pump may be accurate, most all pumps (including this one), although some more than others, will provide a reduction in the delivery capabilities when having to lift the fuel from the reservoir; therefore it is always best if permitted to position the pump as low in the relationship to the fuel level presented as is reasonably possible.         ;)

Scott.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »
Absolutely correct.

The compromise is setting it about 12" above the tank outlet in the trunk area as Shelby American did in the day, knowing the pump will be able to draw fuel up to 48" as advertised.

Don
gt350bp