Author Topic: Share a picture of your 66 GT350  (Read 43760 times)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Re: Share a picture of your 66 GT350
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:44 AM »
6S2072. I know wrong wheels, from my '65, but I have five restored '66 10 spokes if I want to go back, just 20 lug nuts.  Just love the look of the Cragers.

Beautiful car, I love the cragers on it as well…
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6S1523

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2022, 03:42:11 AM »
@6S1523....I'm all-for getting 'em back on the road, just don't understand the logic behind what I was discussing at post #155.

Nice Project. Keep us informed on your journey.

Here’s the thing, if you’re worried about “original” in the sense that it has to be the way it left SA, then more than half the cars sold from 65-67 should piss you off, because the dealerships did what they had to in order to sell the car to the first owner. 

My car left SA and went to High Performance Motors.  Before it was sold to the first owner, the car had the Berry Plastiglass spoilered deck lid and end caps, Thunderbird tail lights. An 8-Track with speakers hacked into the doors, and Dual Quads installed.  So if that’s how the car was first sold, is it wrong to make the car that way?  Well, no.  Can you argue that the car should be “stock” base spec with 10-spokes?  Sure.  There are technically TWO correct “original” versions of my car before it was ever purchased by the original owner.  After it was traded in and sold a second time all bets are off, and 157,000 miles later, enough years and miles have passed under the chassis that “original as it left SA” is a very expensive proposition. 

So what’s wrong with bolting on some improved parts 55 years later?  Not a damn thing.  And anyone who wants to argue that is going to get told where they can put their opinions.  You guys can be staunch on your beliefs that these cars should be a certain way, but I’m willing to bet most of you guys can’t even claim your own bodies are in well respected “original factory condition”, most of us have some wear and tear that will prevent us from being “good as new”.  Why are we holding every example of these cars to unrealistic standards when we can’t apply the same standards to ourselves. 

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
   Some want Museum quality cars and many others want cars they can USE. I am in the USE category so mine isn't "day 1 original" , the "next owner" can undo my 47 + years of ownership.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2022, 04:21:22 PM »
....My car left SA and went to High Performance Motors.  Before it was sold to the first owner, the car had the Berry Plastiglass spoilered deck lid and end caps, Thunderbird tail lights. An 8-Track with speakers hacked into the doors, and Dual Quads installed.  So if that’s how the car was first sold, is it wrong to make the car that way?  Well, no.  Can you argue that the car should be “stock” base spec with 10-spokes?  Sure.  There are technically TWO correct “original” versions of my car before it was ever purchased by the original owner....

This is an interesting point. What is considered most Concours or Thoroughbred correct? The way a car left SA, or the way it was when sold to the original owner?

My 66 was black (non-Hertz) without LeMans stripes when it was shipped to from SA to Hi-Performance Motors, but when it was purchased by the original owner it was maroon with LeMans stripes.
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2022, 05:11:00 PM »
....My car left SA and went to High Performance Motors.  Before it was sold to the first owner, the car had the Berry Plastiglass spoilered deck lid and end caps, Thunderbird tail lights. An 8-Track with speakers hacked into the doors, and Dual Quads installed.  So if that’s how the car was first sold, is it wrong to make the car that way?  Well, no.  Can you argue that the car should be “stock” base spec with 10-spokes?  Sure.  There are technically TWO correct “original” versions of my car before it was ever purchased by the original owner....

This is an interesting point. What is considered most Concours or Thoroughbred correct? The way a car left SA, or the way it was when sold to the original owner?

My 66 was black (non-Hertz) without LeMans stripes when it was shipped to from SA to Hi-Performance Motors, but when it was purchased by the original owner it was maroon with LeMans stripes.
There is not one answer to your question but I will try and explain. First of all the car has to look like new . How you get there is the challenge. The MCA and SAAC Mustang and Shelby concours venues have for many years considered "original " as the condition when the car was delivered to the first owner from the dealer . The first owner is typically considered the first private owner. Sometimes a request will be made to show the car as it was delivered to the dealer from the factory or "pre Delivery " condition with all of the stickers on the windshield ,plastic on the seats and steering wheel etc. Another example is for a prototype car that may be in one form early in it's life but in another form by the time it was sold to the first private owner. Requests to show those cars in other then the way it was delivered to the first owner are done within reason on a case by case basis with accompanying reasonable documentation. It is always a good idea to be friendly and polite when making those kinds of requests. Demanding and threatening behavior do not typically get the job done. ;)   Reasonable documentation does not include here say by a previous owner, friend of a friend or even employee from the factory etc. Those have been proven unreliable in the past and so in fairness to all none like that are typically accepted. Sometimes thinking outside the box helps in proving a point of view. In the past if a accessory was added that didn't come on the car but it could have been bought over the counter at the Ford dealer back in the day then it was allowed . That was 20 years ago. This adding of possible options was highly abused to the point of being ridiculous .  The requirements have slowly tightened up since then and fewer things are allowed . Typically if a out of the ordinary item is present then the burden of proof is on the entrant to show reasonable evidence that it was on the car when first delivered. MCA has a driven class that allows things like stainless steel brake lines and a more forgiving view of undercarriage condition to name a couple. That is what is expected as it relates to the window in time the car is to look like . It is best to seek out advice from the venue in question to be the most precise on what is expected for parts and build procedures to look like for a given class . There are some differences between class's of different venues. I hope this helps.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2022, 07:46:35 PM »
Thanks Bob, that is helpful.

Highly unlikely my 66 will ever be anything but a driver, too much fun like that. But, if I ever did get a wild hair and decide to go full tilt boogie, it would be temping to go with maroon since it was not a stock color and is part of the car's pre-sale history...
Dave - 6S1757

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2022, 06:15:41 PM »
6s2020 on the left here(no stripes) with another one of the 29 black cars.
1 of 29 factory Black non Hertz cars
SAI company car

Any chance of posting a better photo of 2020 by itself?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2022, 06:16:26 AM »
6s2020 on the left here(no stripes) with another one of the 29 black cars.
1 of 29 factory Black non Hertz cars
SAI company car

Any chance of posting a better photo of 2020 by itself?
Here you go Richstang, 6S2020 was advertised for sale over twelve months ago here in Australia, I'm not sure if it sold, cheers.
6S1507

hockey

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2022, 12:01:29 PM »
6S1736 from England

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
^^^ rotated
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2022, 04:43:55 PM »
@6S1523....I'm all-for getting 'em back on the road, just don't understand the logic behind what I was discussing at post #155.

Nice Project. Keep us informed on your journey.

Here’s the thing, if you’re worried about “original” in the sense that it has to be the way it left SA, then more than half the cars sold from 65-67 should piss you off, because the dealerships did what they had to in order to sell the car to the first owner. 

My car left SA and went to High Performance Motors.  Before it was sold to the first owner, the car had the Berry Plastiglass spoilered deck lid and end caps, Thunderbird tail lights. An 8-Track with speakers hacked into the doors, and Dual Quads installed.  So if that’s how the car was first sold, is it wrong to make the car that way?  Well, no.  Can you argue that the car should be “stock” base spec with 10-spokes?  Sure.  There are technically TWO correct “original” versions of my car before it was ever purchased by the original owner.  After it was traded in and sold a second time all bets are off, and 157,000 miles later, enough years and miles have passed under the chassis that “original as it left SA” is a very expensive proposition. 

So what’s wrong with bolting on some improved parts 55 years later?  Not a damn thing.  And anyone who wants to argue that is going to get told where they can put their opinions.  You guys can be staunch on your beliefs that these cars should be a certain way, but I’m willing to bet most of you guys can’t even claim your own bodies are in well respected “original factory condition”, most of us have some wear and tear that will prevent us from being “good as new”.  Why are we holding every example of these cars to unrealistic standards when we can’t apply the same standards to ourselves.
LOLOL, 6s1523, you have missed the whole train!!!

commok

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2022, 06:16:30 PM »
6S978

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2022, 07:11:27 AM »
6S1507 & 6S1593 were together on the weekend at the Pony Round Up.
6S1507

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2022, 09:18:58 PM »
Figured I should post another photo of 6S1757 since it just had a face lift. First time in 47 years the car has had a bumper and stock front...

Dave - 6S1757

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »
very good looking!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0