News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need help verifying original engine

Started by Graysvws, March 02, 2018, 07:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graysvws

I am rebuilding the 428 pi in my '68 GT500 and before I get too involved I am trying to determine without any doubt that my engine is original or at least correct for my car.  I believe mine is just before vin stamping came out.  My car is a January of '68 build car and the casting on the block reads: C7ME-A.  Every site I look on I come up with a different out comenfrom it being a December 67 block designated for a Shelby to it being a mercury block.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stubee

gt350hr

Quote from: Graysvws on March 02, 2018, 07:50:15 AM
I am rebuilding the 428 pi in my '68 GT500 and before I get too involved I am trying to determine without any doubt that my engine is original or at least correct for my car.  I believe mine is just before vin stamping came out.  My car is a January of '68 build car and the casting on the block reads: C7ME-A.  Every site I look on I come up with a different out comenfrom it being a December 67 block designated for a Shelby to it being a mercury block.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There should be a vin number on the back of the block or driver's side head that matches the Ford vin for your car.  Metuchen was pretty sloppy and the number was often stamped on the head instead of the block where it was supposed to be. Don't be worried about the C7ME casting number , it was on 390s and 428s. For real good info visit 428cobrajet.org  . Despite being THE 428CJ site there is VALID information there , not speculation. The '68 GT500 engine is basically a 428PI engine. The Coralsnake is another excellent source for correct info.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350cs

Randy,

As always very good advise and resources.

zray

The VIN stamping on the engine block is very easy to duplicate, and undetectable if someone knows what they are doing. More than just a few engines have had this "trick" done to them in an effort to increase the cars value..

Z

DC-DD

There is also a short period of time in the 68 run  that the vin was stamped into the intake manifold.

Dominic

gt350hr

"Anything" appears to have happened at Metuchen! Stamped on block , head , intake , or none at all!

KR Convertible

If there's no VIN stamp, you need to look at date codes.  January 68 build should have 7L or 7M casting dates, possibly early 8A on a late January build.  Anyone could have stamped a VIN on the block, but date codes must make sense.

Coralsnake

I dont believe its acurate to say " mine was before stamping"

The requirement was for the 1968 model year. And I will bet you a dollar, I can produce an original 1968 Shelby built before your car that was stamped.

gt350hr

+1     Federal requirement for "model year" not "production year".

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2018, 01:51:40 PM

The requirement was for the 1968 model year. And I will bet you a dollar, I can produce an original 1968 Shelby built before your car that was stamped.
+1. This comes up all of the time . It is not that it couldn't happened that one got missed but it is not very likely.It is very improbable given the federal regulation IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2018, 01:51:40 PM

Pete,  I guess you are talking about me?  I don't recall saying that, certainly not in this thread.  I may have questioned when the stamping became required and whether that could be an explanation of my block not being VIN stamped.  That would have been last spring (pre-crash) when I was trying to figure out if my block was original.  Sorry for any confusion.

Coralsnake

I was referring to the original poster in this thread

QuoteI am rebuilding the 428 pi in my '68 GT500 and before I get too involved I am trying to determine without any doubt that my engine is original or at least correct for my car. I believe mine is just before vin stamping came out.  My car is a January of '68 build car and the casting on the block reads: C7ME-A.  Every site I look on I come up with a different out comenfrom it being a December 67 block designated for a Shelby to it being a mercury block.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KR Convertible

I must have missed that in the original post.  Thanks.