News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Thermostatc vacuum switch

Started by shelbydoug, June 29, 2020, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Royce Peterson on June 30, 2020, 02:23:19 PM
Not just at idle. Any time the throttle is closed the vacuum signal to the distributor drops to a lower value, regardless of RPM. Decelleration for example. The only time the distributor vacuum advance would see manifold vacuum is during an overheat situation if it is all working properly.

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 30, 2020, 12:32:50 PM
No boiling water yet!

If it works the way I think it is supposed to, I actually like the idea of it closing the vacuum to the vacuum advance at idle.

It gives me tuning options.

Also I THINK that it switches at some point from engine vacuum to timed port vacuum. That's really what the question initially was getting at.

Either way, I'm ok with it. I probably will need to do the hot water thing to determine at what temp it opens and if it is simgle stage or dual.

I like the idea that it is still installed in the original thermostat housing. It is appropriate for a '68.

Now if I can only find a yellow plastic overlay for the ignition coil, like the battery top idea, I'd be happier.

Unfortunately, although looking great, the Marti Autolite spark plug wires crapped out already. Too bad. They looked great in the AUTOLITE cap.

I haven't thought about the original spark plug wires in 45 years. I was innocent then. I never realized how FREAKIN' BAD the original wire engineering was back then?  ::)

That's ok with me. I don't see any disadvantage to that function.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.  I have a related question.  If you have electronic ignition does the vacuum advance still function?  I understand having it all hooked up to look correct but was wondering if it is actually doing anything?

Corey

Royce Peterson

Electronic ignition (Pertronix etc) replaces the ignition points as a method of charging and discharging the coil. It has no effect on anything controlled by vacuum.

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on July 01, 2020, 08:32:06 AM
This has been a very interesting and informative thread.  I have a related question.  If you have electronic ignition does the vacuum advance still function?  I understand having it all hooked up to look correct but was wondering if it is actually doing anything?

Corey
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 01, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
Electronic ignition (Pertronix etc) replaces the ignition points as a method of charging and discharging the coil. It has no effect on anything controlled by vacuum.

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on July 01, 2020, 08:32:06 AM

Corey

+1.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

There are several hook up diagrams in the 68 Shop Manual.

By trial and error, I have determined that the engine vacuum goes on the bottom, the line to the carb "timed vacuum" is in the middle and the distributor vacuum advance goes on top.

If you put the distributor vacuum advance in the middle as the engine gets hot it will advance the distributor and raise the idle rpm about 400 rpms.

For me that doesn't work.

The tree seems to open at around 160 water temp. Apperently it is two stage? I don't know at what temp the valve distributes vacuum to the vacuum advance. I haven't gotten hot enough yet.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mr68shelby

Just found that The March 1967 Shop Tips has a page on these. It references the 1967 valves which have a different design, but they should operate the same. It says the thermal valve opens at approximately 230 degrees to switch from the carb vacuum to the intake vacuum. Mike

shelbydoug

Quote from: mr68shelby on February 26, 2021, 07:46:41 PM
Just found that The March 1967 Shop Tips has a page on these. It references the 1967 valves which have a different design, but they should operate the same. It says the thermal valve opens at approximately 230 degrees to switch from the carb vacuum to the intake vacuum. Mike

Is there a '67 version of the vacuum tree? I'm pretty sure the switch over temp on mine is much lower then that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2021, 08:03:35 PM
Is there a '67 version of the vacuum tree? I'm pretty sure the switch over temp on mine is much lower then that?

For non-HipPo 289 applications. Its integrated with heater hose intake manifold connection. There has been one for sale for over a year on Ebay

Since its not factory might as well swap out the thermostat housing and use one from a different year it you choose to go that route
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 26, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2021, 08:03:35 PM

For non-HipPo 289 applications. Its integrated with heater hose intake manifold connection. There has been one for sale for over a year on Ebay

Since its not factory might as well swap out the thermostat housing and use one from a different year it you choose to go that route

I presume that they are very rare and as such the price of them is excessive?

I actually like the way that mine works on my 68.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!