News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

General Information and Questions Thread for the John Atzbach Collection!!!!

Started by Vernon Estes, June 30, 2020, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5s081

The 289 comp car and 66 carryover were great deals compared to the rest of the cars

csx289

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 17, 2020, 04:58:50 PM
The 289 comp car and 66 carryover were great deals compared to the rest of the cars
A little more to the story on those two. The Cobra was a street car converted to a comp car in period. A former (far more recent) owner had the car listed as an Independent Comp car after he showed period race history for it. So, not a true Comp car by any means and a long way from being returned to a street car. I've known that one for a long time as I knew the 3 owners prior to John. The Carryover car #002 was a race car for many, many years. The Registry has more on that. It's value, IMHO, was in the serial number not its originality.

I thought 5R002 had a shot to do more, the 65 Paxton car was logical, and the 66 Paxton car was a result of two bidders who wanted to have it I guess! The 66 Convert was a great result too. Heck, all of the cars sold really well even the '15 R which I was glad to see John enjoyed for 6k+ miles rather than keeping it in the wrapper.

Dkutz

There was a 427 cobra and a slab side that went a little later today, the price on both seemed a little light.  I am not even sure they sold.  Don't know if there was a story with them, maybe they didn't have great history.

propayne

Ummm, did Vern buy the independent comp Cobra?

Or maybe he is just there as an agent?

I'm having a drink watching the auction on NBCSN, so maybe I'm seeing things...

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bob Gaines

Quote from: propayne on July 17, 2020, 07:08:13 PM

- Phillip
Vern bought it for a client.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

A-Snake

Quote from: Dkutz on July 17, 2020, 06:55:53 PM
There was a 427 cobra and a slab side that went a little later today, the price on both seemed a little light. 
A little voice is telling me I must reply.
It is a street 289 Cobra.

SBCARGUY

I believe that particular car (CSX2487) was "a deal".... 8)

- Phillip

Dkutz

Quote from: A-Snake on July 17, 2020, 07:50:05 PM
There was a 427 cobra and a slab side that went a little later today, the price on both seemed a little light. 

Yeah sorry it was a later car.  I read the description, seems it wasn't restored quite right, and may have lead a. Rough life

BGlover67

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 17, 2020, 07:19:50 PM

- Phillip
Vern bought it for a client.

I think Bob's wrong, Vern bought it for himself.  Midlife crisis at 23.   Only problem is it might be a little small to live in with his wife and two kids. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

csx289

Quote from: A-Snake on July 17, 2020, 07:50:05 PM
Ok Jim as long as you went there (not that I disagree!) may I also say it was a 428 Cobra made into a 427 Cobra? ;)

camp upshur

Great day for the Atzbach collection.
Regarding 6S002, that looks like an alloy water pump (?).
Was that car built from a mid 65 production Mustang??
I could hardly imagine a restoration error at this level of finish.

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

chris NOS

The sale of the collection maybe helped 6S2139 to go for 231 000,00 ... that's a strong price for a late 66.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: chris NOS on July 18, 2020, 04:34:43 AM
The sale of the collection maybe helped 6S2139 to go for 231 000,00 ... that's a strong price for a late 66.

+1. Strong money on that late 66.
Nothing beats a classic!