Author Topic: Question for auto body gurus  (Read 1259 times)

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Question for auto body gurus
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
I need a little advice

My son who turns 16 later this month started working on his Mustang SVO. The body filler cracked on the hood and the result is surface rust with heavy pitting. Body filler will have to be used to smooth it out, but what should I use to treat the metal? 

Not sure if any good rust treatment, self etching primer should be used BEFORE smoothing the Pitts out with filler. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dave
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

corbins

• View Profile
Re: Question for auto body gurus
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 07:46:36 PM »
If you're unable to media blast the area, I would use a good quality rust converter (Rust Raider) , spray and cover with saran wrap overnight. Uncover, let dry them lightly sand and apply body filler. A coat of epoxy primer before the filler wouldn't hurt either.
Good luck

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
Been using Ospho for a couple of decades, works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q7XWU4?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:48:26 AM »
I need a little advice

My son who turns 16 later this month started working on his Mustang SVO. The body filler cracked on the hood and the result is surface rust with heavy pitting. Body filler will have to be used to smooth it out, but what should I use to treat the metal? 

Not sure if any good rust treatment, self etching primer should be used BEFORE smoothing the Pitts out with filler. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Dave,

First you need to go further in to the body filler that is seen in your picture, I suggest 6 inches past any metal contamination at the very least. You then need to use varying grits of automotive grade sandpaper to get rid of the sanding scratches. I suggest sanding out the scratches to at least 180 grit, maybe even 220 grit before wiping down and treating the metal with an etching solution to remove the microscopic rust within that the sanding cannot get at, (read the product instructions carefully and follow them to the letter) and then topping with an etch primer. Which product to use is strictly up to you, as is which etch primer to seal the bare metal with afterwards. What you want to watch out for is incompatibility between products that could cause issues down the road with adhesion.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »
Thank you very much guys. We are in the process of stripping the whole hood, then we will go from there. Looks like someone walked along the front edge at one time before I bought it ( I have owned since 1990). At least I have a clear direction on how to treat and repair now. All your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Dave
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO