Author Topic: 66 Reproduction Trunk Mat Fit Issues  (Read 1892 times)

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
66 Reproduction Trunk Mat Fit Issues
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
I recently got an ACC trunk mat labeled as "1965-1968 Ford Mustang Fastback Molded Trunk Mat" that I can't get installed correctly. It seems like it's too wide along the forward edge to slide far enough forward. There could be other fit issues as well, not sure since I can't get it in far enough to tell.  Just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar situation? Is there a trick to installing it, modifications, etc.? Possible its the wrong cut/shape for a fastback? I'm attaching a picture from the product sheet that came with it that shows the overall shape of the mat, if that helps.  Unfortunately I don't have another mat to make a comparison to. Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 66 Reproduction Trunk Mat Fit Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
Do the instructions say something to the effect of "Some trimming may be required."  You best bet might be to find someone with an original mat you could trace out and cut yours to match.  I know a coupe/convertible mat can be cut to a fastback mat.  But it does help if you have a known fastback mat.

Best of luck

Cory

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:49 PM »
There's no mention of trimming. If it is needed, I have nothing to trim it against anyway. I got this trunk mat through Virginia Mustang.  I actually talked to someone there about the fit issues and they said that's the first time they've heard that feedback.  They told me it should just drop right in. They were very congenial and said I could return it.  I basically said I would look into it some more (i.e., run it past the experts) before doing that. So, that's basically where I'm at now.
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

plowhorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:47:46 AM »
Had the same exact issue in Dec. of 2018, so you are not the first. Apparently my words fell on deaf ears. Was happy with the fit of the molded part, but the outer edges weren't even close. Lots of trimming involved. How hard can it be to cut a trunk mat to the proper shape?

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »
Well,
The passenger side trunk floor cover needs to be cut for a 66 car after #252. It only covers the front part of the trunk floor
while the 65 covers it all the way to the back.
Texas Swede

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
I had no issue with fitment. It's the Burtex unit, correct? It actually lays up under the rear fold down/shock cover.  I can post a picture of mine if  you'd like.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:51:16 PM by The Going Thing »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
I had no issue with fitment. It's the Burtex unit, correct? It actually lays up under the read fold down/shock cover.  I can post a picture of mine if  you'd like.
66 trunk mats are a rubberized material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby