Author Topic: Older Drivers  (Read 1657 times)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Older Drivers
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Nice article about driving vintage performance vehicles featuring a 1967 Shelby GT500 owned by Phil Bell.

Money quote: “You have to have a much higher level of respect for the car,” he said, “because the car doesn’t have anything to save you. There is no nanny system. It is just you and your steering wheel and your right foot and the road.”
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Older Drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
GREAT STORY! The above "Money Quote" is also a great statement. This is one reason why old car values are going down, much to denile of many owners. If a car cannot "babysit" today's driver, they just do not see the fun driving one or desire to own one, they feel at danger, from the "what if?". How many times have you seen a kid, driving a Toyota Camry, fly by you on the highway? Is that a sense of false safety? Most likely it's, no common sense and lack of respect. Remember the George Carlin skit? "Everyone passing you is an maniac", and when you pass someone its, "Look at that A-hole!" Or something like that, LOL.

I love driving my older cars and also my newer cars, which car do I drive everyday? No preference, if it's a nice day!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:05:52 AM by 67 GT350 »
RARE  Signature Delete

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
Nice article about driving vintage performance vehicles featuring a 1967 Shelby GT500 owned by Phil Bell.

Money quote: “You have to have a much higher level of respect for the car,” he said, “because the car doesn’t have anything to save you. There is no nanny system. It is just you and your steering wheel and your right foot and the road.”

Thanks for sharing this

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
  Well, I can tell you that I have gotten "rear veiw mirror" paranoia.  But, I got it before I got old.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 01:56:14 PM »
  Well, I can tell you that I have gotten "rear veiw mirror" paranoia.  But, I got it before I got old.

Yes, that is very true! Especially in the few states that I have traveled it seems like PA and VA  for me it the top two, and I love how when you are passing, and in a line of passing cars, someone zooms up at the right, when it is obvious that they will still have to go back to the end of the line, so they can pass like everyone else!
RARE  Signature Delete

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:52:42 PM »
I do like this quote

You almost get the impression that the MR2 is really ambivalent as to whether you make it  :D

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:04:44 PM »
Everyone driving faster than I am, is a maniac.  Everyone driving slower, is a moron. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork