Author Topic: 1969 GT500 Convertible 9F03R481016  (Read 10304 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 GT500 Convertible 9F03R481016
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
Thanks Jay.  I saw the carb issue as well.  I was wondering about that OP gauge so that may be one of the first projects if I end up with the car.
Didn't quite catch if you knew it was a joke but NO CAUTION FAN sticker. A running joke among 69-70 Shelby owners. I believe the inspection "P" on the upper cowl should be in the DS upper door jamb. That is where my original sticker was when I bought my 70 Vert and Ed told me to put my new one in my door jamb but that is just minor tweaks to an excellent restoration. I had a steering wheel wrap on my NOS steering  for 17 years before I decided to take it off for a better look. Bought one on Amazon as the old forum a topic said the ones I bought(bought extras) were REAL CLOSE to the original wraps. I have my eyes on a RED 70 4 speed GT500 vert . Good luck with your purchase. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »

Overall, it appears to be a very nice car, based on the pictures. A few random things jumped out at me, in no particular order:

Its missing the steering wheel wrap. Not a huge deal, many owners actually prefer the look without.
More concerning is that the oil pressure gauge appears to be out of commission. There's no really correct reproduction available, and originals are unobtainium.
Fog light covers aren't factory, but are nice to have to protect the lenses if you actually plan to drive it much.
Should be flanged hex nuts, rather than wing nuts, on the battery hold down.
Carb is correct for a CJ, but an automatic transmission application. 4-speed carb would be a C9AF-9510-M.

Jay

'69 GT500 #2911
If you are referring to the oil pressure gauge being off to the right let me say that mine drops off to the right sometimes depending on the needle position when I turn the car off. It still works fine when the car is running. This one might do the same. Didn't see all the pics but could be a "U" service carb? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
Gary:

That would be a lucky break if the oil pressure gauge is original and still functional. 

Carb has an "N" suffix.

Jay
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Guys,

i want to thank all of ya'll who gave me tips both publicly and privately because that is what I really appreciate about the Forum.  I am a really good wrench and a former Ford mechanic but I certainly don't know all the nuances of these cars and, especially the 69/70 version.  I really want to thank Jim Cowles for his willingness to chat with me because he was certainly under no obligation to do so.  No doubt for the few things that I will want to do to this car I will turn to Jim for his aid.

One thing everyone saw was the oil pressure gauge.  Of course the oil pressure gauge did work fine when I got there and it looked, to me at least, to be original and not one of the Faria reproductions.  I don't know why it was pegged over in the photo but it was normal today.  It could be ready to die or maybe it was just one of those things.  I have an instrument in my airplane that does the same thing once in a while when it is turned off but never in operation -- who knows?  They usually won't completely give up the ship until the first time I take my wife for a ride.

I did get the joke on the caution fan decal.  By the way my 67 GT500 did have the caution fan decal and I stuck it on myself years ago because I thought it made the engine compartment look better and I was enjoying buying what I thought were the right stickers and making it look in a way that I thought was right.  Once Bob Gaines restored my air cleaner top, and gave me some tips about other things that were wrong, I peeled it back off and have resolved the errors of my ways.  My 67 GT500 is not a real concours car at SAAC but it is to every other car show I have entered because those judges just know shiny paint and a nice presentation.

I went through all the date codes and part numbers on the car and it was pretty much spot on.  The only bad "code/number issue" was what I knew before I went there and that is that the block has no vin number on it and the carburetor, although expertly restored and stamped, was made about a month after the car and looks like it was for an automatic.  I think all the 69's had the vin number on either the block or the head (or both) so it is what it is.  At least the motor is on the right side of the calendar as it is an 8M20 meaning December 20, 1968  The car was produced on February 10, 1969 so it could be worse.

The car did everything ok except for one fault and that was the tilt away column.  First, I did not expect it to have a tilt away because it was not on the Marti Report but it was there -- is that correct?  Second, the tilt-way would not reliably lock back in place or allow it to start because I think the vacuum motor that pulls the cable is either bad, too tight, or not installed correctly.  I don't know but I told the seller that would have to be resolved because the transporter would get pissed if the car doesn't start.   My sense looking at this car -- especially the exhaust -- and he paint around the cylinder heads on the exhaust ports that it has not been driven much.

The cosmetics were really good on the car as was the interior and underside presentation.  It had all the right overspray, primer and finishes down to a very nice Scott Fuller exhaust.  With that said I could not figure out why one lower control arm was properly dipped in black paint and the other one was still natural -- someone's got some splainin to do to me.  I guess that is a project that I can tackle at some point in the future.  The only cosmetic negative was the convertible top fit around the back of the car was just not perfect.  I know that the base of the top is clamped around the convertible top well so maybe that can be adjusted out. 

Other than the tilt away column problem the only mechanical negatives were (a) the AM 8 Track which was correct to the car and did not work but does turn on; (b) the brake light under the key is normally on but when you press the parking brake it goes out?; (c) the drivers's door fits pretty well but you seem to shut it harder than I like -- it has NOS rubber gaskets so I don't think its the gaskets but I will need to sort that out -- the gaps look nice; and (d) the freshly rebuilt air pump sounds like it has a bearing bad but, as they say, its either going to get better or worse.  I can tell that Jim's shop really put a lot of effort into sorting out what was once a real pig.

I left the dealer after about a four hour inspection and we now have worked out a deal with one issue that we will sort out Monday but it is not the sort of issue that is really a contingency on the purchase.  For those of you who have looked at the ad at Marshall Goldman  I am not paying near the asking for the car and they are taking an extraordinarily nice 2005 NSX that i have owned in trade at a very fair number. in my opinion.  I was bored with the NSX so I am going to welcome Shelby #3 to the stable. 

One question for you experts and I don't know the answer is whether more documents on the car are available from the SAAC Registrar.  I may be making this up in my mind but I seem to think that the Registrar had some service documents on my 67 GT500 because I can't figure out where else I got them from.  Here is the stable that it is joining.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »
Eric, I have a carb you may have interest in...the 4spd version with a 913 date code

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »

One question for you experts and I don't know the answer is whether more documents on the car are available from the SAAC Registrar.  I may be making this up in my mind but I seem to think that the Registrar had some service documents on my 67 GT500 because I can't figure out where else I got them from. 

Send a private message to Mongo (Vinny) the 69/70 registrar
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=104

If there are additional documentation to be had, he will let you know.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »
Gary:

That would be a lucky break if the oil pressure gauge is original and still functional. 

Carb has an "N" suffix.

Jay
My car-which I purchased in 1985- still has the original Faria gauges.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »
Congrats on your purchase Eric

I had #1016 about 10-12 years ago...

I'll try to find some photos...

Welcome to the Shelby Convertible Gang...!

Bret

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
Thanks Bret and also for your time in discussing the car with me.  If you ever come across an NOS or good OEM convertible roll bar keep me in mind because that is the only major part on the car that had to go back as reproduction although, quite frankly, it looks fine as is.  If you come up with any photos of 1019 send em to me along with a bill.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
Thanks Bret and also for your time in discussing the car with me.  If you ever come across an NOS or good OEM convertible roll bar keep me in mind because that is the only major part on the car that had to go back as reproduction although, quite frankly, it looks fine as is.  If you come up with any photos of 1019 send em to me along with a bill.
Other then missing the surf board tie downs the repro bars look pretty close.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase. Looks like it's going to fit right in.

Jay
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
Congratulations  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:24 PM »
Guys,

i want to thank all of ya'll who gave me tips both publicly and privately because that is what I really appreciate about the Forum.  I am a really good wrench and a former Ford mechanic but I certainly don't know all the nuances of these cars and, especially the 69/70 version.  I really want to thank Jim Cowles for his willingness to chat with me because he was certainly under no obligation to do so.  No doubt for the few things that I will want to do to this car I will turn to Jim for his aid.

One thing everyone saw was the oil pressure gauge.  Of course the oil pressure gauge did work fine when I got there and it looked, to me at least, to be original and not one of the Faria reproductions.  I don't know why it was pegged over in the photo but it was normal today.  It could be ready to die or maybe it was just one of those things.  I have an instrument in my airplane that does the same thing once in a while when it is turned off but never in operation -- who knows?  They usually won't completely give up the ship until the first time I take my wife for a ride.

I did get the joke on the caution fan decal.  By the way my 67 GT500 did have the caution fan decal and I stuck it on myself years ago because I thought it made the engine compartment look better and I was enjoying buying what I thought were the right stickers and making it look in a way that I thought was right.  Once Bob Gaines restored my air cleaner top, and gave me some tips about other things that were wrong, I peeled it back off and have resolved the errors of my ways.  My 67 GT500 is not a real concours car at SAAC but it is to every other car show I have entered because those judges just know shiny paint and a nice presentation.

I went through all the date codes and part numbers on the car and it was pretty much spot on.  The only bad "code/number issue" was what I knew before I went there and that is that the block has no vin number on it and the carburetor, although expertly restored and stamped, was made about a month after the car and looks like it was for an automatic.  I think all the 69's had the vin number on either the block or the head (or both) so it is what it is.  At least the motor is on the right side of the calendar as it is an 8M20 meaning December 20, 1968  The car was produced on February 10, 1969 so it could be worse.

The car did everything ok except for one fault and that was the tilt away column.  First, I did not expect it to have a tilt away because it was not on the Marti Report but it was there -- is that correct?  Second, the tilt-way would not reliably lock back in place or allow it to start because I think the vacuum motor that pulls the cable is either bad, too tight, or not installed correctly.  I don't know but I told the seller that would have to be resolved because the transporter would get pissed if the car doesn't start.   My sense looking at this car -- especially the exhaust -- and he paint around the cylinder heads on the exhaust ports that it has not been driven much.

The cosmetics were really good on the car as was the interior and underside presentation.  It had all the right overspray, primer and finishes down to a very nice Scott Fuller exhaust.  With that said I could not figure out why one lower control arm was properly dipped in black paint and the other one was still natural -- someone's got some splainin to do to me.  I guess that is a project that I can tackle at some point in the future.  The only cosmetic negative was the convertible top fit around the back of the car was just not perfect.  I know that the base of the top is clamped around the convertible top well so maybe that can be adjusted out. 

Other than the tilt away column problem the only mechanical negatives were (a) the AM 8 Track which was correct to the car and did not work but does turn on; (b) the brake light under the key is normally on but when you press the parking brake it goes out?; (c) the drivers's door fits pretty well but you seem to shut it harder than I like -- it has NOS rubber gaskets so I don't think its the gaskets but I will need to sort that out -- the gaps look nice; and (d) the freshly rebuilt air pump sounds like it has a bearing bad but, as they say, its either going to get better or worse.  I can tell that Jim's shop really put a lot of effort into sorting out what was once a real pig.

I left the dealer after about a four hour inspection and we now have worked out a deal with one issue that we will sort out Monday but it is not the sort of issue that is really a contingency on the purchase.  For those of you who have looked at the ad at Marshall Goldman  I am not paying near the asking for the car and they are taking an extraordinarily nice 2005 NSX that i have owned in trade at a very fair number. in my opinion.  I was bored with the NSX so I am going to welcome Shelby #3 to the stable. 

One question for you experts and I don't know the answer is whether more documents on the car are available from the SAAC Registrar.  I may be making this up in my mind but I seem to think that the Registrar had some service documents on my 67 GT500 because I can't figure out where else I got them from.  Here is the stable that it is joining.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the 69-70 vert family. The best looking cars of that era in my book-why I own one. I mentioned earlier that my oil pressure gauge has been doing that for years. Depends if it is "over center" on which way it "falls" when I shut off my car. So sometimes it is to the left and other times to the right but works fine with the car running.  Gary
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:40:14 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »
Hello
Enjoy your new car

Tor

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  I am looking forward to getting it here and getting the last details on the car sorted.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT