Author Topic: Anyone run Evans waterless coolant  (Read 5083 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Anyone run Evans waterless coolant
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »
Any benefits on using this vs anti freeze on a street car ?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

The Going Thing

• View Profile
Re: Anyone run Evans waterless coolant
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
No. The other issue is that you can't have ANY residual water or coolant in the system or it reacts.   I personally run  Royal Purple water wetter and distilled water.
I rarely see over 190 unless I am dealing with an extended idling condition.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
No. The other issue is that you can't have ANY residual water or coolant in the system or it reacts.   I personally run  Royal Purple water wetter and distilled water.

What thermostat?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
For a street car fresh coolant, what ever is on sale is all that's needed. Check all cooling items are functioning as they should. High volume water pump, fan shroud, hoses, etc. I run a plate system eliminating the t-stat. you can get a pack of 4- hole sizes from 1/2. 5/8. 3/4. 1 inch we don't freeze too often so it works great with performance motors that need heat regulation. You change the hole size to fit your application... Works wonderful !

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »

+1 on the Royal Purple Ice.  I live in NH, the car sits in an unheated garage all winter so I use 50/50 mix of Prestone and distilled water.  No issues at all with overheating. 

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
I am running a high flow Stewart EMP 180 degree thermostat.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 07:03:11 PM »
For a street car fresh coolant, what ever is on sale is all that's needed. Check all cooling items are functioning as they should. High volume water pump, fan shroud, hoses, etc. I run a plate system eliminating the t-stat. you can get a pack of 4- hole sizes from 1/2. 5/8. 3/4. 1 inch we don't freeze too often so it works great with performance motors that need heat regulation. You change the hole size to fit your application... Works wonderful !
.    Didn’t they used to call that a blanking plate or some such???

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »
Of course the best solution is a deeper, extra core, extra fins radiator.

You can have one built using stock top and bottom tanks to look really close to stock.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
When I was running my stock car roundy rounder at 6200 rpm it would get hot by race end. The water pump needed to slow down or slow the circulation down in my engine. The class dictated it needed to run components that were like factory components. After market parts not allowed, looking around I happened upon these little beauties and slowed the cavitating fluid in my cooling system. Water wetter is allowed at most race tracks because it is not coolant as we think of it. and it dries like water. My car ran at 220 with out water wetter 200 with it . Great stuff.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »
I have factory tanks on a heavy duty 3 row core. It works well.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 05:16:20 AM »
For the lazy old iron on this site: no.
Evans NPG is efficacious. It is based upon reducing superheated skin surface boiling adjacent to the combustion chamber utilizing nucleate boiling. This can near eliminate localized boiling and resultant ‘black death’ (aluminium thermal piston expansion/ sleeve scuffing -dead hole). With it you do not run a thermostat. Pessurization and temperature are meaningless when employing Evans NPG. It works.
Not really applicable in normally aspirated applications, save for certain off-roaders or esoteric military applications such as the recon teams/ MARSOC who use it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:38:56 PM by camp upshur »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 07:57:46 AM »
Gentlemen thank you for your contributions,  much appreciated
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 07:09:29 PM »
I ran the t-stat housing washer, specifically for high rev engines, in my race car. Bought them from Jeg's. Different sizes like 427 mentions.

Without anything there in place of the t-stat, the liquid will run to fast through the radiator and not have time to cool.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 07:41:16 PM »
The EMP Stewart thermostats are great for street-driven cars. They are high flow design but do very well regulating the flow.  I don't recommend the Mr. Gasket copy. Buy the real deal. I had the rubber seals cause one to hang open.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 04:26:30 AM »
.    Didn’t they used to call that a blanking plate or some such???

Just called water restrictor

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Water-Outlet-Restrictor-Kit,605.html

Roy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:23:54 AM by TA Coupe »
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.