Author Topic: 1965 Shelby Fiberglass Rear Shelf Support  (Read 2875 times)

Dynomax

• View Profile
1965 Shelby Fiberglass Rear Shelf Support
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:05 PM »
I'm just trial fitting the interior for my '65 GT350 clone. Has anyone got ideas, opinion or photos of what support they used when installing the 1965 style Shelby Fiberglass Rear Shelf/seat delete panel? I appreciate that the majority of the weight of the spare wheel rests on floor pan above the axle housing, but not all of it. Thanks for any input.

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 1965 Shelby Fiberglass Rear Shelf Support
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:24:47 AM »
The 1966 plastic seat delete tray has two wooden supports, one on the aft edge with the trap door catch and a second near 2/3 forward way on the tray.  I am not aware of any supports on the 65 tray.  You could adapt the 2/3 support on the 66 to the 65.  See attached image.

Also, if you have plans of mounting a spare tire on your 65 tray, you better secure the spare.  The 65 GT350's relocated the truck spare support to the hump above axle.  The spare tire attaching hardware then passes through the tray to hook to this support.  Be safe.

Cory
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:29:49 PM by 6s1640 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:04:53 AM »
I had the 65 panel in my 68. What you will find is that the recess for the tire is limiting to about a 195 profile tire.
There is a spot in the molding of the panel that indicates the location of where you must cut through the panel fpr the spare "hook mounting". That is going to be what you use as a pattern to mark the location of the mounting bracket.

If you are open to suggestions, I'd recommend that you go with the 66 version of the panel in fiberglass and eliminate the spare tire from the interior mounting.
The fiberglass version needs no additional supports. The origianl "plastic" one did. It would turn into silly putty in the sun.

The original mounting method of the spare, although acceptable for the time, is at least questionable.
The compressability of the tire itself makes it next to impossible for you to mount the tire firmly and it really is only semi-fastened in place.

IN ADDITION, if you plan on tracking the car at all, you are likely to find that the tech inspectors are going to REQUIRE you to REMOVE it from the car to run on the track.
SOME may permit it to remain IF it is firmly bolted down, like it would be mounted to a wheel hub, with FIVE bolts, BUT I WOULDN'T count on that ruling.

It is simply much simpler and less liable for them to make you remove it from the car to run. MOST make you remove any spare from the car even in an enclosed location like the trunk.

It's also entirely possible that since your car ISN'T an original Shelby, your local state inspectors will not pass the car with the tire in the 65 Shelby location.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:29:26 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dynomax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi and thanks for your help. I already have a’65 panel. This car won’t be seeing any track action and the spare location will be ok in New Zealand. I will certainly look at reinforcing the underside based the ‘66 photo that Cory posted.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 07:26:31 AM »
Hi and thanks for your help. I already have a’65 panel. This car won’t be seeing any track action and the spare location will be ok in New Zealand. I will certainly look at reinforcing the underside based the ‘66 photo that Cory posted.

The '65 fiberglass panel does not need reinforcing. The ORIGINAL '66 PLASTIC one does. Even so those are 1 x 2 furring strips and have little strength to them. Don't waste your time.

The '66 design is fixed by making them out of fiberglass instead of molded plastic.

With the '65 design, you need to use an eyebolt to eyebolt design that can't come apart to retain the spare tire in place. A simple hook is not sufficient.

A hard bump in the road will compress the tire enough to permit the j-bolt to unhook itself otherwise.

Having the spare within the passenger compartment is similar to the 427 Comp cars with the batteries behind the passenger seats. It's just not a good idea.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »

The '65 fiberglass panel does not need reinforcing. The ORIGINAL '66 PLASTIC one does. Even so those are 1 x 2 furring strips and have little strength to them. Don't waste your time.

The '66 design is fixed by making them out of fiberglass instead of molded plastic.

With the '65 design, you need to use an eyebolt to eyebolt design that can't come apart to retain the spare tire in place. A simple hook is not sufficient.

A hard bump in the road will compress the tire enough to permit the j-bolt to unhook itself otherwise.

Having the spare within the passenger compartment is similar to the 427 Comp cars with the batteries behind the passenger seats. It's just not a good idea.
The is not Jbolt or eyebolt used on a original 65 GT350 and R model. The early 65 Mustang spare tire style carriage bolt slid mount was welded to the floor under the package tray .It used  a carriage bolt not a eye bolt or J hook. Of course more then one thing can be used to accomplish the same thing but for historical clarity want to set the record straight 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »

The is not Jbolt or eyebolt used on a original 65 GT350 and R model. The early 65 Mustang spare tire style carriage bolt slid mount was welded to the floor under the package tray .It used  a carriage bolt not a eye bolt or J hook. Of course more then one thing can be used to accomplish the same thing but for historical clarity want to set the record straight

I understand that Bob. Just because that was the procedure, does not make it a good idea or a great engineered product. IT IS NOT. It is just plain a safety hazard and it is my opinion AFTER running this set up that the mounting MUST BE upgraded to be even marginally safe.

That's all. Everyone is free to repeat the mistakes of the past. The truth hurts sometimes and often is seen as harsh. Death is pretty harsh as well and often can be avoided.

It's a stupid ass design. Period. You can't fix stupid...if you insist on repeating it? ;)

So if you are the artist on the boardwalk that for $10 will do a quick sketch. You are there with your girlfriend, wife, etc. She's as ugly as a junkyard dog.

What do you do as the artist? Draw pretty or draw the truth?  One's a lie, the other harsh?

If you think about it, that could be life threatening also?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:24:49 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »

I understand that Bob. Just because that was the procedure, does not make it a good idea or a great engineered product. IT IS NOT. It is just plain a safety hazard and it is my opinion AFTER running this set up that the mounting MUST BE upgraded to be even marginally safe.

That's all. Everyone is free to repeat the mistakes of the past. The truth hurts sometimes and often is seen as harsh. Death is pretty harsh as well and often can be avoided.

It's a stupid ass design. Period. You can't fix stupid...if you insist on repeating it? ;)

So if you are the artist on the boardwalk that for $10 will do a quick sketch. You are there with your girlfriend, wife, etc. She's as ugly as a junkyard dog.

What do you do as the artist? Draw pretty or draw the truth?  One's a lie, the other harsh?

If you think about it, that could be life threatening also?  ;)
Doug ,I don't disagree that is why I wrote" Of course more then one thing can be used to accomplish the same thing but for historical clarity want to set the record straight".
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »
Another "Historically Accurate Tribute"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!