News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1 of 6 '70 GT500 convertibles.

Started by 2112, July 05, 2020, 12:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8T03S1425

I want to bring the dialogue back to the topic originally addressed, 1 of 6 '70 GT500 Convertibles.

Parsing out the 1970 Shelbys from the production run of the 1969 and 1970 Shelbys is an activity that I think feeds a couple of self-serving situations. Please, bear with me and hear me out.

From the "SAAC Shelby Registry 1968 – 1969 – 1970 4th Edition 2014" we'll read that...
     1.  "In reality, the 1969 model year only lasted nine months. While Mustang production began in August or September, Shelby did not receive cars until January."
     2.  "Since every 1969 and 1970 car was built during Ford's 1969 model run, they all had 1969 VINs on their inner fenders, windshield ID plates, door data plates and warranty cards."
     3.  "The cars were not built in strict numerical order, nor were they shipped in that manner. As a result, which cars became 1970 models is pure happenstance."
     4.  "Planning for the 1970 model cars began while the 1969 models were in production. However, when the Shelby Mustang program was terminated by Carroll Shelby in September of 1969, all planning ended."

There were three running production changes:
     1.  "5-Spoke Wheels. Incorrect bolt-hole chamfers caused all wheels manufactured before May 2, 1969 to be recalled and replaced."
     2.  "Fuel Cap & Venting. All GT500s produced prior to August 1 1969, were recalled and vented gas caps with non-vented caps. A new fuel tank vent was also installed."
     3.  "Spindles. In late March, a running production change was instituted which included the installation of Boss 302 front suspension on all cars which were equipped with the F60x15" tires."

1970 Shelby Updates:
     1.  "VIN Tags. New windshield VIN tag and driver-door data labels were installed. The VINs were the same, with the exception of beginning with '0' as first character instead of '9.'"
     2.  "Painted Hood Stripes. A section of the hood between the forward air inlet and the rear air outlet, on both sides was painted gloss black. Black Jade cars were flat black."
     3.  "Chin Spoiler. Black plastic Boss 302-type spoiler (but unique to Shelbys.)"

1969 Shelby Production – 2,362

1970 Shelby Production – 788

Total 1969 & 1970 Shelby Production – 3,150

Serial numbers not used – 150

From that information, we can reasonably conclude that Shelby, or Ford, originally intended to build 3,300 1969 Shelbys and then go into 1970 Shelby production, in a manner consistent with previous production plans and activities. Things changed.

Ford began to expand their own high performance Mustangs, i.e., Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 429, and Cobra Jet powered Mustangs, after learning from their experiment with Carroll Shelby that there is a lucrative market for high performance Pony cars. Insurance companies were upping their premiums on this niche car segment, especially if the cars had high performance engines. The price of crude oil was increasing and high performance engines generally got poorer fuel mileage. So, with lower fuel efficiency and modest price increases, demand for fuel increased. We quickly learned how that condition impacted supply and later price increases. I'm sure that Ford's "suits" anticipated how those economic conditions would require them to adjust their offering to the high performance Pony car consumer market.

Re-VINing the 1969 Shelbys, to become 1970 Shelbys was a self-serving answer to how they would market "left-overs" to a shrinking market. It was not unusual for dealers to have current leftover models for sale simultaneously with new models. The consumer could leverage that inventory situation to get a better deal on a car that sold for a premium only months earlier. Since the new models generally had significant differences from the leftover current models, the dealer had leverage and the consumer had choice. According to the registry, some of the 1970 Shelby features under review were electronic fuel injection for GT350 and GT500 models, four-wheel disc brakes, a sunroof for the sports roof models, hide-away headlights, all-wheel drive, power windows, and the possibility of a Boss 429 engine option.

That was then, this is now. There were no cars designed, built, and sold as a 1970 Shelby Mustang, but there were cars designed, modified, and sold as 1970 Shelby Mustangs. The value of collectible cars is rooted in several unique variables. Production quantity, or the perception of low and desirable production is just one variable.

The person selling the 1 of 6 '70 GT500 convertibles is hoping that focusing of the lowest number produced correlates to a higher price deserved. Again, a self-serving situation. Setting aside color and other options, in reality, there were 335 1969 and 1970 Shelbys originally built as 1969 GT500 convertibles.

I write all this, not to be divisive, but to provide my personal perception, some context, and to meaningfully differentiate the 1970 Shelbys from all other Shelbys produced. Are they 1970 Shelbys? Yes, they are. Look at the VIN. Were they designed and built as a 1970 Shelby. Based on what I learned from SAAC documentations, my answer is no. I like all the Shelbys made in the '60s. I also like most Shelby owners, especially those who share my love of the product over the value of the product. Regardless how one parses out the attributes of Shelby Mustangs, they are rare under many comparisons of production automobiles. It's been said many times, and I think it's great advice, if you buy what you like, you'll never be disappointed, after any comparison.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on July 14, 2020, 01:30:17 PM
I want to bring the dialogue back to the topic originally addressed, 1 of 6 '70 GT500 Convertibles.

Parsing out the 1970 Shelbys from the production run of the 1969 and 1970 Shelbys is an activity that I think feeds a couple of self-serving situations. Please, bear with me and hear me out.

From the "SAAC Shelby Registry 1968 – 1969 – 1970 4th Edition 2014" we'll read that...
     1.  "In reality, the 1969 model year only lasted nine months. While Mustang production began in August or September, Shelby did not receive cars until January."
     2.  "Since every 1969 and 1970 car was built during Ford's 1969 model run, they all had 1969 VINs on their inner fenders, windshield ID plates, door data plates and warranty cards."
     3.  "The cars were not built in strict numerical order, nor were they shipped in that manner. As a result, which cars became 1970 models is pure happenstance."
     4.  "Planning for the 1970 model cars began while the 1969 models were in production. However, when the Shelby Mustang program was terminated by Carroll Shelby in September of 1969, all planning ended."

There were three running production changes:
     1.  "5-Spoke Wheels. Incorrect bolt-hole chamfers caused all wheels manufactured before May 2, 1969 to be recalled and replaced."
     2.  "Fuel Cap & Venting. All GT500s produced prior to August 1 1969, were recalled and vented gas caps with non-vented caps. A new fuel tank vent was also installed."
     3.  "Spindles. In late March, a running production change was instituted which included the installation of Boss 302 front suspension on all cars which were equipped with the F60x15" tires."

1970 Shelby Updates:
     1.  "VIN Tags. New windshield VIN tag and driver-door data labels were installed. The VINs were the same, with the exception of beginning with '0' as first character instead of '9.'"
     2.  "Painted Hood Stripes. A section of the hood between the forward air inlet and the rear air outlet, on both sides was painted gloss black. Black Jade cars were flat black."
     3.  "Chin Spoiler. Black plastic Boss 302-type spoiler (but unique to Shelbys.)"

1969 Shelby Production – 2,362

1970 Shelby Production – 788

Total 1969 & 1970 Shelby Production – 3,150

Serial numbers not used – 150

From that information, we can reasonably conclude that Shelby, or Ford, originally intended to build 3,300 1969 Shelbys and then go into 1970 Shelby production, in a manner consistent with previous production plans and activities. Things changed.

Ford began to expand their own high performance Mustangs, i.e., Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 429, and Cobra Jet powered Mustangs, after learning from their experiment with Carroll Shelby that there is a lucrative market for high performance Pony cars. Insurance companies were upping their premiums on this niche car segment, especially if the cars had high performance engines. The price of crude oil was increasing and high performance engines generally got poorer fuel mileage. So, with lower fuel efficiency and modest price increases, demand for fuel increased. We quickly learned how that condition impacted supply and later price increases. I'm sure that Ford's "suits" anticipated how those economic conditions would require them to adjust their offering to the high performance Pony car consumer market.

Re-VINing the 1969 Shelbys, to become 1970 Shelbys was a self-serving answer to how they would market "left-overs" to a shrinking market. It was not unusual for dealers to have current leftover models for sale simultaneously with new models. The consumer could leverage that inventory situation to get a better deal on a car that sold for a premium only months earlier. Since the new models generally had significant differences from the leftover current models, the dealer had leverage and the consumer had choice. According to the registry, some of the 1970 Shelby features under review were electronic fuel injection for GT350 and GT500 models, four-wheel disc brakes, a sunroof for the sports roof models, hide-away headlights, all-wheel drive, power windows, and the possibility of a Boss 429 engine option.

That was then, this is now. There were no cars designed, built, and sold as a 1970 Shelby Mustang, but there were cars designed, modified, and sold as 1970 Shelby Mustangs. The value of collectible cars is rooted in several unique variables. Production quantity, or the perception of low and desirable production is just one variable.

The person selling the 1 of 6 '70 GT500 convertibles is hoping that focusing of the lowest number produced correlates to a higher price deserved. Again, a self-serving situation. Setting aside color and other options, in reality, there were 335 1969 and 1970 Shelbys originally built as 1969 GT500 convertibles.

I write all this, not to be divisive, but to provide my personal perception, some context, and to meaningfully differentiate the 1970 Shelbys from all other Shelbys produced. Are they 1970 Shelbys? Yes, they are. Look at the VIN. Were they designed and built as a 1970 Shelby. Based on what I learned from SAAC documentations, my answer is no. I like all the Shelbys made in the '60s. I also like most Shelby owners, especially those who share my love of the product over the value of the product. Regardless how one parses out the attributes of Shelby Mustangs, they are rare under many comparisons of production automobiles. It's been said many times, and I think it's great advice, if you buy what you like, you'll never be disappointed, after any comparison.

Steve
Steve ,the 69 Shelby was in production before the BOSS 302. The big suspension designed for the F 60 15  tires was used on both cars and was put into use at the same time as far as is known. Attributing the spindles to ether car therefore is not accurate IMO.   You forgot to mention the early 69 Mustang changes and the early 69 Shelby changes compared to later versions which were the ones typically converted to 1970 . You also forgot to add the GT500 manual choke conversion and distributor advance curve change. These facts don't change your point but I just wanted your post to be as accurate as possible. Nice writing otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

All good points but also all the paperwork on 70 shelbys were updated or changed and all glovebox papers were changed to 70 along with 2 decal changes tire and dash manual choke decal on gt500s and dual point distributors on gt500 4-speeds & all 70 changes were done at fords Kar Kraft plant before jan 1 1970 to get around the new 70 models locking ignition law.

shelbymann1970

Also 1970 GT350s had a distributor change that was a 70 and had "ED" stamped on it so it would pass 1970 emissions. My original dist also has a dual vacuum advance and as far as I know no 1969 351Ws had a dual vacuum advance from looking in my shop manuals and such.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)