News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

carb spacer

Started by MHz, July 06, 2020, 11:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHz

1158 is missing the spacer between the Autolite carb and the intake manifold. Can somebody provide me with the part number and photos please.

Thanks,
Ross
Blue Hertz, Metke Ford, Seattle

S7MS427

Ross,

I've never seen a part number for the spacer though I'm sure that one exists.  Nor have I ever seen one for sale (again, I'm sure I just missed seeing the add).  I just used a 1/4 inch phenolic spacer (Canton Racing Carburetor Spacers 85-154 I think from Summit Racing).  What was nice about this one was that it is a four-hole design which will nicely seal the bottom of the Autolite.  Good luck.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

The Going Thing

+1 on the Canton spacers. I am running two on my GT500. It really does help especially during the summer.  They are as thin as 3/8" and the sides aren't black so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

shelbydoug

You have to do something with phenolic spacers. There are variations but I know you can't run without them and expect to be able to restart a hot engine.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dan Case

Some 1966 owners use this.
Engineering Number   Material   Method   Parallel or Tapered (P or T)    Thickness (in)   Bore Size 1 (in) (primary)   Bore Size 2 (in) (secondary)   Open Underside (Y or N)
B9AZ-9A589-A           phenolic   molded   P                                         0.200                  1.60                                   1.60                                           N

No connection to me but a seller is offering two new old stock ones on eBay® right now.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

The Going Thing

Just for general information.  ( Not to impugn on Dan's posting)  I tried the factory 390 spacer/insulator.  It was only good for about 10 degrees from no insulator.  The 3/8" canton spacers dropped the carburetor base temperature 31 degrees.  I have a fuel pump phenolic insulator too. I just haven't installed it.

s2ms

+1 to Dan's suggestion, the B9AZ spacer is what I've heard as well.

The French film we've been discussing shows a good view of the spacer in several frames.  The B9AZ spacer is very dark, the spacer in the film looks white so not sure what was used, at least during that specific production period...

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on July 07, 2020, 10:00:16 PM

The French film we've been discussing shows a good view of the spacer in several frames.  The B9AZ spacer is very dark, the spacer in the film looks white so not sure what was used, at least during that specific production period...

Most likely asbestos white/gray material that was commonly used in various gaskets during that time period  . I can't remember coming across a asbestos Ford gasket in my searches however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 07, 2020, 10:12:09 PM
Quote from: s2ms on July 07, 2020, 10:00:16 PM

Most likely asbestos white/gray material that was commonly used in various gaskets during that time period  . I can't remember coming across a asbestos Ford gasket in my searches however.

Bob:
There was a fibrous type gasket that was gray looking from the side and black on top. It had plastic rings where the carb studs passed though. I believe they were to keep it from being over-tightened.  You may remember what year vehicle used them. I vaguely remember seeing them some time ago.

J_Speegle

To me they always appears to be the blackish plastic/bakolite material when seen in person. Much like the material used for the 59 as well as the 68-70 V8 Ford spacers were familiar with seeing.
This has been on cars from the 1000-1450 or so range
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

The asbestos spacer/gasket is what was on my 68 GT350 when I got it, April 4, 1972. It was an x-Hertz and still had the iron/Autolite carb set up on it. I believe that it was a double with one under the PCV adapter, and one over it.

Changing that manifold out for a Holley and the lack of heat isolators generally speaking set me off on a decade of solving a hot restart issue that never should have existed.

IF memory serves, it got changed out because it suddenly developed a hot restart problem which in my instant expertise diagnosed as a malfunctioning automatic choke!  ;)

In all honesty, I NEVER saw those gaskets serviced by ANYONE including Ford Service parts.

Not to go off on another tangent BUT the gaskets for the Weber IDA's are the same thickness and seem to be the same materials?

In comparing them scientifically to other solutions such as the Going Thing is attempting to do, how dare he attempt to be scientific and logical, I've never seen numbers but they DO NOT seem to be adequate WITH THE HOLLEYS? Webers, yes. :o

So just to shed light on my astuteness, I am currently working on hot restart issues with the dual Holleys. 1/2" black phenolic plastic at this moment seem to hold the most hope. Maybe tomorrow that will change? It depends on what time of day that is?  ::)

I just came across what I think is the bottom gasket in my stack for use with exhaust gas re-circulation. I'll post a picture of it later.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6S1568

I'm confused. Are you guys discussing spacers between the intake and carburetor, or carburetor gaskets on a 1966 GT-350? Thanks

gt350hr

It IS a spacer we are talking about. It HAS to be a spacer because there is a distinct mismatch between the underside of the Autolite 4100 and the Cobra intake. If a gasket alone was used SERIOUS vacuum leaks would be present. My early Hertz car came with a 3259 Holley so no spacer was used. I have seen later ( original) cars that "to me" use the B9AZ spacer. It is important to know that the carb gaskets used @ SAI were an asbestos composition material and with the right camera angle "could" appear whitish as in the posted pictures. The thick fiberous gaskets with round plastic inserts in the corners were NOT made at the time!
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

The Going Thing

I should have known you'd know, Randy. Wasn't there one with a 1/8" vacuum nipple too? I'll look for the answer to today's 100,000 question when I get to Charlotte later. Be safe all.

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on July 08, 2020, 10:59:12 AM
I should have known you'd know, Randy. Wasn't there one with a 1/8" vacuum nipple too? I'll look for the answer to today's 100,000 question when I get to Charlotte later. Be safe all.

Boss 302.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!