Author Topic: New SAAC forum questions  (Read 4810 times)

Rodster-500

• View Profile
New SAAC forum questions
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:26:36 PM »
How is the new SAAC forum affiliated with the SAAC club?

Will everything posted here be visible to anyone with an internet connection regardless if they are a forum member and/or SAAC club member?

Do our annual SAAC membership dues help support the forum?

Do SAAC club members get any special privileges?

Who 'owns' the information posted on the forum and what are they allowed to do with it?

Will the forums be backed up?

I always thought the 'old' forum was a benefit of being a supporting SAAC club member but I may have been wrong.  I'd like to understand the relationship between the club and forum before jumping back in.

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New SAAC forum questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »

--the same way as the old one, administered and run by SAAC HQ

Will everything posted here be visible to anyone with an internet connection regardless if they are a forum member and/or SAAC club member?

--the Forum is and has always been open to Members and Non-Members alike. Not all info will be visible to Guests.

--in a manner of sorts. Expenses for software and hosting are paid by SAAC HQ, and dues are a main source of funding for SAAC.

--as in the prior Forum, SAAC Members have an elevated user account, with reserved Forum areas for their use.

Who 'owns' the information posted on the forum and what are they allowed to do with it?

--The information posted is owned by the respective authors. If you don't want to freely share info, do not post it.

--They have been and they will continue to be
I always thought the 'old' forum was a benefit of being a supporting SAAC club member but I may have been wrong.  I'd like to understand the relationship between the club and forum before jumping back in.

--The Forum is a significant component of the Club, provided for the pleasure and convenience of its members and friends.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the answers.

Recent comments made it sound like the forum was not tightly tied to the SAAC club which is why I asked the questions. I was confused.

In this case the club and it's members provide a forum for anyone to participate and enjoy unlike some other club forums which require a  membership to access the forum.

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
In this case the club and it's members provide a forum for anyone to participate and enjoy unlike some other club forums which require a  membership to access the forum.

We have always described the Forum as a place for Members, non-Members and friends.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »

--the same way as the old one, administered and run by SAAC HQ

--the Forum is and has always been open to Members and Non-Members alike. Not all info will be visible to Guests.

--in a manner of sorts. Expenses for software and hosting are paid by SAAC HQ, and dues are a main source of funding for SAAC.

--as in the prior Forum, SAAC Members have an elevated user account, with reserved Forum areas for their use.

--The information posted is owned by the respective authors. If you don't want to freely share info, do not post it.

--They have been and they will continue to be

--The Forum is a significant component of the Club, provided for the pleasure and convenience of its members and friends.

Thanks for taking the time to answer those questions. I have two more.

1) If the forums were backed up, how did everything get lost?

2) Is the current backup process more reliable than the one that just failed? And if so, how?

I love this forum and the helpful members here. And I'd like them all to know that their contributions are not in constant danger of disappearing. Nothing comes with a 100% guarantee, but some explanation of any new, better backup procedures might go a long way in encouraging contributions - some of which can require a lot of time and work. I know at least one member who put hundreds of hours into a well liked topic. I suspect he will not do that again if he feels like the treat of losing it all overnight is hanging over his head.

Thanks,
Steve

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »

There was a multiple failure of both hardware and software at the Server that caused sufficient corruption.

2) Is the current backup process more reliable than the one that just failed? And if so, how?

Yes... going forward, we will have redundancy beyond our last regiment.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »

There was a multiple failure of both hardware and software at the Server that caused sufficient corruption.

Yes... going forward, we will have redundancy beyond our last regiment.

THANKS! That's good news. Hopefully that assurance will encourage our members to put in the time and effort needed to properly cover some of the more intensive topics.

Steve

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
People more talented than on a keyboard have found cache'd  copies of some of the best threads.

Can those be transferred back to this site since this site is considered the Encyclopedia Britannica of all things Shelby?