Author Topic: R-Model Gas Tank Question  (Read 1609 times)

R-MODEL1965

• View Profile
R-Model Gas Tank Question
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:47:05 PM »
I noticed 5R002 that is going up for auction has a galvanized gas tank while every other r-model I have seen has their tank painted black. Was 5R002 the only r-model to have a non painted tank, or were the other r-models tanks painted during restoration? Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: R-Model Gas Tank Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
I noticed 5R002 that is going up for auction has a galvanized gas tank while every other r-model I have seen has their tank painted black. Was 5R002 the only r-model to have a non painted tank, or were the other r-models tanks painted during restoration? Thanks.
The black paint prevented rust from all of the welding needed to weld the two bottom half's together and covering the sender unit opening on the top half. Just like black paint was used to cover and prevent rust on other welding like the overrides, cut rebound brackets etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
 "On originals"( about 10 including a couple of NOS ones at Ray Wolff's) "I" have  seen , the welded areas "only" were sprayed black and a couple of them in silver. I have also seen original tanks completely painted black. I don't think there was a "rule".
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
The original I had (came out of Don Pike's car) was 2 new lower halves welded together in standard Mustang roller spot weld fashion. It was galvanized and had the typical surface rust where the welding was done. As near as I remember the vent bung was brazed in and the cap adapter was just screwed to the top with a leaky cork gasket where they did a little hammer and dolly work to make it flat. The gauge hole was not punched out on the top 1/2. I was told Ford made up a run of them on their equipment for SA.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »
   Sorry , I was talking about the ones with the two inch wide "extension" in the middle. The ones made like the one you had did not have paint on them ( well initially anyway).
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »

I have a "R" type gas tank that came with 1806, which I assume had been used or was sourced during the time of it's conversion. My question is, did the original R Model tanks have any discernable markings from SA on these tanks? Mine is painted black so finding any markings would be difficult at best.

Another question for those in the know, what kind of value does a "R" type tank with sender, top/bottom drains and filler neck intact generally sell for? I may want to sell it is why I ask, thank you for any information.

~Steven