Author Topic: Bj/Bk Carbs Trick Kit? Pic Gauge pod pictures needed  (Read 5828 times)

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Bj/Bk Carbs Trick Kit? Pic Gauge pod pictures needed
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
Hello who knows which holley kit I need exactly to rebuild a set of BJ/BK

And also I need pictures of the original vs repro gauge pods or how I can identify them, the one in my shelby is original but I have another one here which looks pretty much the same with only some very small differences but I´m not sure if its a real one or repro.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:17:35 PM by Kent »
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

The Going Thing

• View Profile
Re: Bj/Bk Carbs Trick Kit? Pic Gauge pod pictures needed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
The Holley Tric kit #37 119 works with either carb.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 04:27:48 AM »
Yes thats what I heard but I read somewhere that there are some specific parts I need for a complete rebuild. Thank you
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14:02 AM »
There are some specific parts that doesn’t contain.

I honestly do not recall what as it has been years since I bought any sort of generic kit.
I have a company make me kits to my own specs for that reason.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 11:38:46 AM »
Agree on kit 37-119, that is the kit(s) I used as well. I figured by the time i bought the bowl gaskets and metering gaskets, it was almost the same price to buy the entire kit if I recall correctly.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
On the gauges, again going from memory, the reproduction gauges do not have a part # stenciled on the lower face of the gauge while the originals do have a part number. Hopefully someone will confirm I am giving you good information.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
Kent, do you need both or one? I think I have a repro oil pressure gauge I bought years ago. I can look and see if it has part number information on it like the OE. Remember, green line gauges weren't Shelby specific. 

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
Yes maybe there is a comparison thread for the gauge pod I have not found yet?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
On the gauges, again going from memory, the reproduction gauges do not have a part # stenciled on the lower face of the gauge while the originals do have a part number. Hopefully someone will confirm I am giving you good information.
Most later reissue gauges used in reproduction gauge pods had similar stenciled marking compared to original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 05:05:23 PM »
The QFT kit is a little nicer than the Holley Renu Kits. If the carb is really old you will also need to buy the secondary diaphragms which are not part of any kit.

Note that the Trick Kit doesn't have all the parts for a rebuild. It's a nice kit to have but the Holley Renu Kit is actually the rebuild kit.

The QFT company is owned by Holley too.

Kit: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/rebuild_kits/renew_kit/parts/3-200QFT

Or: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Fuel-3-200QFT-Holley-4160-Carb-Rebuild-Kit-390-600-750-850-CFM-Vacuum/192371165805?epid=1832975803&hash=item2cca370a6d:g:oaUAAOSwyi9aHtsF:sc:USPSPriority!74133!US!-1

Hello who knows which holley kit I need exactly to rebuild a set of BJ/BK

And also I need pictures of the original vs repro gauge pods or how I can identify them, the one in my shelby is original but I have another one here which looks pretty much the same with only some very small differences but I´m not sure if its a real one or repro.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
A note about the kit Royce linked.
You’ll need to cut the fuel bowl gasket a tiny bit for the brass balance tube.
With some small scissors or razor blade it is not hard at all.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »
Good catch! I use a 3/16" gasket punch after marking the holes using the metering block. You can make such a punch from a small piece of 3/16" brass tubing that would work for a couple holes.

I've never seen the repro BJ / BK carbs do they have the balance tubes too?

A note about the kit Royce linked.
You’ll need to cut the fuel bowl gasket a tiny bit for the brass balance tube.
With some small scissors or razor blade it is not hard at all.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »
I have seen a few repro BJ/BK, no balance tube on those.

Tor

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
Yes, there are balance tubes on the reproductions.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 05:26:17 AM »
I think on my repro carbs I have here there are no balance tubes like on the originals I have here. I can double check.

Somebody has pictures of the gauge pod differences? And Bob is right I also have seen repros with the numbers, thats why I´m confused with the gauge pod on my table vs the one in my GT500 they are slightly different but not to much. Seller said the one I bough is original and came from a 67 Shelby but I think compared to the original one in my GT500 there are some small differences. But the gauges look pretty similar only 2 small things I have seen that are different but thats more of aging in my opinion.