News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Bj/Bk Carbs Trick Kit? Pic Gauge pod pictures needed

Started by Kent, July 09, 2020, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Pojedinec

Quote from: The Going Thing on July 10, 2020, 11:23:22 PM
Yes, there are balance tubes on the reproductions.

Do not confuse transfer tube with balance tube on 4160's.

shelbydoug

I seem to get more life, assembly and disassembly out of the blue, non-Holley bowl gaskets,

I like the teflon bowl screw gaskets much better then the Holly versions.

Of course if you need to be cosmetically looking correct you need to stick with the Holley kits.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Drew Pojedinec

Doug, I get nonstick black gaskets that are on the level with the blue ones.

Nylon bowl screws are cool.... sadly I would say with 1960's carbs I'd get maybe 1 out if every ten that would stay wet with the hard gaskets.

roddster

Carb gasket trick:  Rub some Chapstik all over the paper type gaskets so they'll peel off next time.

The Going Thing

Kent: Something else crossed my mine as well. The original gauges had inked date stamps and possibly part numbers on the back near the hole the lamp passed into. You might take a look if your unit is off the vehicle. I'm sorry I can't be of much more help.

Kent

Yes thats what I checked on the ones on my table but the stamps are not really visible, somebody know how to differ a repro and original gauge pod
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

The Going Thing

Kent, here is a factory and a reproduction.  Note the information on the top of the ammeter but not on the reproduction  oil pressure guage.

Kent

Is it that easy? I heard that there also repros with this informations on the top. My gauges have them all, but as I said small differences are there in the look of the pod and gauges maybe some is due to aging etc.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

The Going Thing

I can't confirm this, but It wouldn't make sense that there were several manufacturers reproducing the gauges. Perhaps SW reissued them at some point?
I know the SW oil gauge is a reproduction I picked up long ago in my spares. The Ammeter is the one in my vehicle and an original to the vehicle.

Bob Gaines

SW reissued the gauges starting many decades ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

Ok so I need to check more the gauge pod but as I said they look quite similar but I´m not 100% sure if the one on my table is original. I will do pics. The one in my car is 100% original but its hard to compare them when one is sitting in the car and the other one on the table.

The Going Thing

Easy enough to check, Kent. Disconnect the battery. One nut on the back of the pod will allow you to pull the gauge out to get a look at the back.

shelbydoug

Do you still need pictures of the gauge pod? I have mine out right now and can do a photoshoot! The model is leaving soon so don't procrastinate.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

Yes please do that, and yes I took out the ones on my table but as Isaid the stamping is very unclear.

What does it mean do you want to sell your GT350?

Kent

Does somebody know where I can order the correct bushings for the throttle blades? Is there anything else I need which is not in the trick kits?