News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

8-Track on Craigslist

Started by JWH, July 10, 2020, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

This is just an 8-Track player. It looks like an accessory, how did these mount in the car? On the console? Under the dash?       8-track tapes, talk about BAD technology. 

NOS 1968 1969 1970 Ford Mustang Fairlane 8-track tape player
Mercury Cougar FOMOCO.
Part # C8AZ-19A035-A.

Has the factory wiring as it came when new.
A copy of instructions included.
Untested and sold as is.
The box shown is not included.

There is a white mark on the vinyl as seen in one photo that was chalk and has been removed using water. Also the vinyl covering has very slightly separated from the case at the very back and could use a re-glue

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on July 10, 2020, 01:08:40 PM
This is just an 8-Track player. It looks like an accessory, how did these mount in the car? On the console? Under the dash?       8-track tapes, talk about BAD technology. 

NOS 1968 1969 1970 Ford Mustang Fairlane 8-track tape player
Mercury Cougar FOMOCO.
Part # C8AZ-19A035-A.

Has the factory wiring as it came when new.
A copy of instructions included.
Untested and sold as is.
The box shown is not included.

There is a white mark on the vinyl as seen in one photo that was chalk and has been removed using water. Also the vinyl covering has very slightly separated from the case at the very back and could use a re-glue
The 8 tracks that were a factory option in Mustangs had a AM radio incorporated. The one on craiglist is a stand alone unit that was typically mounted underdash to supplement a existing radio. It looks like it could be mounted in dash in a Mustang but not sure why you would want to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

They are made to mount to the transmission hump. I guess you could turn the unit upside down in the box and then use it under dash. I used to own a car that came with one. They are low wattage so not much tone quality or volume.

Here's what mine looked like when I first got the car.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

Yes bad tech. My 4 track was much better. Genuine top of the line Blue Light by Mad Man Muntz. This was mounted in our new 66 Mustang for awhile. It'll end up in my 59 Studebaker 2 door wagon.
I do have a 1972 Mustang radio/8 track if anyone needs it. $125 shipped in lower 48.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

JWH

I had an after-market 8-track in my '69 Mustang mounted in the same location as the one in Royce's picture. I remember if you put the shifter (automatic) into Park, you could not remove the tape.
      And I thought about Bob's comment hanging the thing upside down to get an under-dash type mounting. I remember wedging match books under the tape to get it to play clearly and not sound like the musicians were under water. Hanging upside down may have solved the issue. Dang I didn't think of that.

Had an 8 track in my 73 vw thing back in the day .Always left the Hardtop off in seedy areas of town and no one ever stole it (or the tapes).Wonderful theft deterrent when nobody wants the damn thing... ;D