Author Topic: Shock installation question  (Read 5432 times)

aj

• View Profile
Re: Shock installation question
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.

Slight detour:  Is anyone making/selling this tool ...the travel-limiting strut for upper control arm ?  Yes I could make a pair but id gladly buy a set to save time.  Have used wood 2x4 in the past but works half-arsed.   Someone should be selling these.  I’d take 2 pair forvright price.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.

Slight detour:  Is anyone making/selling this tool ...the travel-limiting strut for upper control arm ?  Yes I could make a pair but id gladly buy a set to save time.  Have used wood 2x4 in the past but works half-arsed.   Someone should be selling these.  I’d take 2 pair forvright price.
  I have had to make several sets over the years but it takes too much time for me to make them and price them to others . I don't know if these are the right price but Marcus makes them.http://anghelrestorations.com/parts.html
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 11:53:51 PM »
Can we get an update on this OP did Manny, Moe & Jack get this figured out or what ?
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
I will be dropping by the shop, probably tomorrow - to drop off a part.  I'll see if he has finished working on the shocks yet.  He's only working on the car during his slow times so he may not have started that yet.  Hopefully with all of your suggestions, one of them will be helpful.  He's making the car road-ready after 40 years of sitting so a few more weeks won't be a big deal if he hasn't gotten to it yet.