Author Topic: Shock installation question  (Read 5431 times)

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Shock installation question
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:41:42 PM »
Hello!  I have my '68 GT500 at the shop and they are having some problems with the shocks.  When they tried to take the worn ones off it was noted that they were very 'tight'.  Probably took them awhile but once they got them off, they went to put a new set on and were faced with the reason that the other shocks were so difficult to remove.  He stated that the angle was very extreme - basically if he were to put them on as intended, they would hit the towers - hence who ever put them on (40+ years ago - during which time the car has been in pretty much storage since) must have really had to use some force to get them to even bolt on.  I told him I would check with the pros on this site and see if there is something unique about the installation, or perhaps a special tool was used - or perhaps the previous owner may have done some 'improper modifications' along the way.   Thank you for your assistance.   

davez

• View Profile
Re: Shock installation question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »
Do you have a picture? Not sure how what your describing is possible. They basically go up through the center of the tower. Unless the saddle is bolted to the upper control arm incorrectly somehow.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
Agreed, you have something else going on. Pictures would be helpful. There are no tricks, this should be very easy. The shocks are replaced with weight on the suspension.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »
Huh? BOTH the front and rear shock installations ARE SIMPLE. A first year HS auto shop student could do them.

So therefore, as it stands, someone has absolutely no freakin' idea what they are talking about, here's a hint, it isn't me, or there has been some kind of an Alien modification done in deep space to your car?

Look, this isn't politically correct to state it this way but a RETARD could do shock replacement blindfolded? Get my drift?  ;)

Exactly what kind of a shop did you bring the car to? Is it at a hair dresser's shop or something more bizarre then even that? Yikes!  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »
Exactly -- it should be extremely straightforward (snide remarks by shelbydoug  are not necessary -- I am a longtime member of SAAC, hence have paid a lot of money to keep this club alive as the rest of you have; if there wasn't a confusing situation going on, I would not have wasted anyone's time; I'm sure all of you would like to see an old relic back on the road?) -- but they are giving him a lot of problems; that tells me that whoever did the install last was not a 'first year HS auto shop student'.  For them to be so difficult to remove tells me the install was not proper in the first place - or something else is wrong.  I do not have photographs but what he showed me was that the shock tower no where near lined up with the shocks and to get them to there it will take a lot of force.  Davez I will bring your point to his attention as a potential issue. What brand of shocks were original (this will let me know if they have been replaced and most likely done improperly, somehow).  Thank you for your thoughts!!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 01:45:57 PM »
The original shock was a three way Gabriel adjustable. It was painted blue.

I dont have a photo handy.

Make sure they are doing this weight on suspension (wheels on ground)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
 These are 1969 shocks, but look similar to the 1968 shocks.

The seat they sit on should be horizontal when the wheels are on the ground.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »
Its also possible the bushings in the spring seats are moving.

I found these pictures online showing how the shock sits on the seat.

http://www.freedomcruisin.com/Hollywood's_1968_Ford_Mustang_Projects/Hollywood's%201968%20Mustang%20Front%20Suspension%20Removal%20And%20Installations.html

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Thank you. coralsnake!  You - and the others - have been very helpful.  I appreciate that!  Thanks, again. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »
Exactly -- it should be extremely straightforward (snide remarks by shelbydoug  are not necessary -- I am a longtime member of SAAC, hence have paid a lot of money to keep this club alive as the rest of you have; if there wasn't a confusing situation going on, I would not have wasted anyone's time; I'm sure all of you would like to see an old relic back on the road?) -- but they are giving him a lot of problems; that tells me that whoever did the install last was not a 'first year HS auto shop student'.  For them to be so difficult to remove tells me the install was not proper in the first place - or something else is wrong.  I do not have photographs but what he showed me was that the shock tower no where near lined up with the shocks and to get them to there it will take a lot of force.  Davez I will bring your point to his attention as a potential issue. What brand of shocks were original (this will let me know if they have been replaced and most likely done improperly, somehow).  Thank you for your thoughts!!
The Brand was Autolite. The original equipment MFG was Gabrial. That is basically irrelevant because ANY shock made for 65-70 Mustang will physically fit your 68 .Your symptoms are very strange. Consequently without pictures of the upper control arm /spring saddle and its relation to the shock tower it is hard to diagnose. Just a bunch of guess's. If too much of a angle would suggest spring perch modification or damage . Did this car have the Shelby upper control arm drop done to it? That would be evident with a extra set of holes for the upper control arm to bolt to.Keep us posted on what you find out so others in the future faced with the same problem can be helped. Plus I for one am just very curious given I have not heard of symptoms described  like this before.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
They aren't snide remarks. They are a warning to you to get the car back away from them as soon as possible.

This one stinks so bad, I can smell it from here.

That was my initial point. There is NO situation where there can be any difficulty in removing them with one possible scenario, someone welded them in. ;)

I guess I should just mind my own business and let them walk all over you? So are you going to pay them the extra labor they are going to charge for the "unusual shocks"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 04:25:18 PM »
There must be a communication issue there's no way that shock can hit the shock Tower. it's in the middle of the coil spring it's just not possible. The only thing that is tight or snug is the bottom inner nut on the shock can be difficult to get to with a socket around the bushing for the spring saddle. you may not be able to get a socket on it it may have to be done with an open-ended wrench. My guess is to confirm what Pete coral snake said they tried to do it with the suspension unloaded and extended. you have to compress the suspension,  or it's difficult next to impossible to get the lower inner nut off
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:50:18 PM by davez »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Keep us posted redpony - I too am very curious what the issue is.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.

Yes I think you are right to post this Royce but it illustrates that this is trivially basic tech info? I am very suspicious of a shop who doesn't know this yet or purposely making grumbling sounds to an unsuspecting owner in order to take advantage of them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!