News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shock installation question

Started by redpony, July 11, 2020, 12:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 11, 2020, 06:19:19 PM
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.
Royce ,you and I both know that the useful tool you posted a illustration for is only needed if the suspension is unsupported or hanging. On the ground or on a four post lift it is not needed to change shocks . Of course we don't know if that is the issue but it could very well be. Redpony you should confirm if they have the car up in the air with the suspension hanging or on the ground or on a 4 post lift(one with ramps).if the suspension is hanging then that is the problem. I am suspicious like Doug that this might be the problem (suspension hanging which would make it hard to remove shocks) and the mechanics don't know any better. That is Mustang 101 and is scary if they don't know that. If that is the case then redpony needs to get his car out of there before they break something or over charge him because of the extra time it takes them to figure things out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 11, 2020, 08:19:54 PM
The upper and lower arms tilt at an extreme angle that doesn't allow installation of the front shocks if you do not follow the shop manual procedure. The shop manual tells you to support the upper control arm using the tool shown in order to remove or replace the front shocks. Alternatively you can use a floor jack on the lower arm and allow the weight of the car to hold it in place level with the wheel removed so the shock can be installed.
Royce ,you and I both know that the useful tool you posted a illustration for is only needed if the suspension is unsupported or hanging. On the ground or on a four post lift it is not needed to change shocks . Of course we don't know if that is the issue but it could very well be. Redpony you should confirm if they have the car up in the air with the suspension hanging or on the ground or on a 4 post lift(one with ramps).if the suspension is hanging then that is the problem. I am suspicious like Doug that this might be the problem (suspension hanging which would make it hard to remove shocks) and the mechanics don't know any better. That is Mustang 101 and is scary if they don't know that. If that is the case then redpony needs to get his car out of there before they break something or over charge him because of the extra time it takes them to figure things out.

I hope it is just some type of strange miscommunication? However, witnessing a rape can put a person in a precarious situation? If you say anything about it will you get "called out"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

You need to get the front wheels off Bob. For me it's the easy way. You may have other ideas but the fact is many of us use a two post lift and this is how it is done.

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Royce Peterson

I used to have a big band saw so I just made my own tools out of chunks of 3/4" steel plate with a notch cut in one end. Normally it is more convenient to support the front of the car and use a floor jack to elevate the suspension on the side where I am changing the shock. That way the shock lower end is at perfect eye level when I am on my roll around milk stool.

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 11, 2020, 07:54:03 PM

Yes I think you are right to post this Royce but it illustrates that this is trivially basic tech info? I am very suspicious of a shop who doesn't know this yet or purposely making grumbling sounds to an unsuspecting owner in order to take advantage of them.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 11, 2020, 10:01:14 PM
You need to get the front wheels off Bob. For me it's the easy way. You may have other ideas but the fact is many of us use a two post lift and this is how it is done.

If you do it with a two post lift yes you need the support. If you do it on the ground or on a 4 post lift like many of us use for car storage then you don't need the support. The point I was trying to make is that there is another way which takes comparable time without using the support tool. Maybe not what you meant but it could be interpreted that you were trying to say that was the only way of doing it.  FYI I always use the support tool when lifting up the front of the car to change tires etc. because it puts less stress on the upper shock and strut rod bushings . Original bushings are hard to find if having to replace. Many of the repro bushings will not take half the stress of a OEM and fail .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

I am often installing NOS suspension parts like shocks or sway bar bushings and they do not like being overstressed. Or I am removing all the suspension for a restoration. Either way the wheels are off and the body is either supported by a lift or jack stands while the work is being done. Often I am removing or installing shocks to do something else like remove a spring or spring perch. So a variety of tools come into play.

In any case the shocks can't be installed if the suspension is hanging and that sounds like the issue presented by the OP.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 11, 2020, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 11, 2020, 10:01:14 PM

If you do it with a two post lift yes you need the support. If you do it on the ground or on a 4 post lift like many of us use for car storage then you don't need the support. The point I was trying to make is that there is another way which takes comparable time without using the support tool. Maybe not what you meant but it could be interpreted that you were trying to say that was the only way of doing it.  FYI I always use the support tool when lifting up the front of the car to change tires etc. because it puts less stress on the upper shock and strut rod bushings . Original bushings are hard to find if having to replace. Many of the repro bushings will not take half the stress of a OEM and fail .

427heaven

Lets get to the root of the problem... Its the lack of knowledge and understanding of the shop or individual, that cant figure out how to install a shock on a Mustang. Pick up your checkbook and car, Then drive as fast and far as you can possibly go from that shop. Like Doug said in a direct sort of way, if you dont have a shop that is qualified to install a set of shocks on a 1960s car shame on you, or shame on them. Either way most of us were changing these things out when we were 14- 15 years old and all we had was a set of Crescent wrenches, Channel lock pliers, and a screw drivers to do any job. ;D

Coralsnake

I am sure all this constructive help will encourage more participation on the forum.

God, I love a good free for all.

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 427heaven on July 12, 2020, 09:04:49 AM
Lets get to the root of the problem... Its the lack of knowledge and understanding of the shop or individual, that cant figure out how to install a shock on a Mustang. Pick up your checkbook and car, Then drive as fast and far as you can possibly go from that shop. Like Doug said in a direct sort of way, if you dont have a shop that is qualified to install a set of shocks on a 1960s car shame on you, or shame on them. Either way most of us were changing these things out when we were 14- 15 years old and all we had was a set of Crescent wrenches, Channel lock pliers, and a screw drivers to do any job. ;D

You had a set of channel lock pliers too.....WOW your family must have been rich  :)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 12, 2020, 09:41:01 AM
I am sure all this constructive help will encourage more participation on the forum.

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

68stangcjfb

When was the last time a car with shock towers and suspension like this was produced in this country? I believe that was the 1980 Ford Granada and Mercury Monarch. That was 40 years ago! The majority of these cars probably left the road as daily drivers 20 years ago. That being said, the shop still should have knowledge of working on cars they choose to bring into their shop. Ironically, I had a guy I know call me and asked me this exact same question about 2 months ago. He was trying to install the shock with the suspension down. As soon as he jacked it up like I told him to, he had no issues. Given my age and time I started working on cars, (1980 or so) I consider myself very lucky because I got a taste of the old cars as well as the new technology coming along. I know mechanics 10 to 15 years younger than me that have no conception of a point ignition system and just look at them funny when they take the cap off. And the carburetors? What is that thing???😁
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

shelbydoug

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on July 12, 2020, 09:57:12 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on July 12, 2020, 09:41:01 AM

Yes, that is well documented...we noticed.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Red Pony-  We are not trying to run you off. We dont like the shops that are not fit to touch our cars. telling us we had great difficulty removing your old shocks. Go to another shop that works on older cars or just a mechanic that understands the most basic of mechanical workings. It is a 20 minute per shock if they know what they are doing. Dont pay for 8 hours to replace shocks because it is a SHELBY upcharge or old car upcharge. >:( I understand many on here dont work on their cars and dont know what it should take to do a certain task but there are many on here that have spent a life time working or playing with these cars and will be sure to help out in those areas. We try to help others stay informed, but when someone appears to be blatantly ignorant or stirring the pot, we quickly call them out on their shananigans.

corbins

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 11, 2020, 07:54:03 PM

Yes I think you are right to post this Royce but it illustrates that this is trivially basic tech info? I am very suspicious of a shop who doesn't know this yet or purposely making grumbling sounds to an unsuspecting owner in order to take advantage of them.
+1,  if your shop can't install a set of frt shocks , you should be running away...

FL SAAC

FYI : early mustang how to install shocks

Good luck

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+change+shocks+on+1969+mustang&oq=how+to+change+shocks+on+1969+mustang&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l3.21154j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_FjkLX_idEM-vggfSyL7IBA58

Quote from: redpony on July 11, 2020, 12:41:42 PM
Hello!  I have my '68 GT500 at the shop and they are having some problems with the shocks.  When they tried to take the worn ones off it was noted that they were very 'tight'.  Probably took them awhile but once they got them off, they went to put a new set on and were faced with the reason that the other shocks were so difficult to remove.  He stated that the angle was very extreme - basically if he were to put them on as intended, they would hit the towers - hence who ever put them on (40+ years ago - during which time the car has been in pretty much storage since) must have really had to use some force to get them to even bolt on.  I told him I would check with the pros on this site and see if there is something unique about the installation, or perhaps a special tool was used - or perhaps the previous owner may have done some 'improper modifications' along the way.   Thank you for your assistance.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert