News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 "OIL FILTER ASSEMBLY LINE CORRECT" HOW TO .

Started by chris NOS, July 15, 2020, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris NOS

First you need to buy the good " double ribbed" oil filter .

Then remove the gasket and tape to make sure nothing goes inside .

i used some chemichal paint remover to get it to metal .

Then sanding and primer .

Fresh black satin paint .

Some light coating of yellow paint on the stamp

and after few times , here you go :

Not perfect , but i think good for division 2 concours . I had hard time to stamp them right , i tried to roll the filter on the stamp blocked on a table , tried to have the filter fixed and stamping by hand , but either way it's complicated to have it straight or even the stamping in full shape , if somebody did it and got a better result please let me know how !
thank's to Charles for the stamps model.

6S1568

What a great job Chris! You are a talented craftsman indeed. They look awesome to me.

silverton_ford

Very nice!  Thank you for the post.

Where do you get the stamp?

GT350Lad

Look very nice, are you selling them? Well done
6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

You might try remounting the stamp on a rectangular pad as opposed to the round design. 

pbf777

Quote from: chris NOS on July 15, 2020, 12:36:39 PM
Not perfect , but i think good for division 2 concours . I had hard time to stamp them right , i tried to roll the filter on the stamp blocked on a table , tried to have the filter fixed and stamping by hand , but either way it's complicated to have it straight or even the stamping in full shape , if somebody did it and got a better result please let me know how !

If I may be so bold, just a quick thought, create a not to complicated fixture, of either wood or metal, that perhaps would consist of the threaded adapter for the filter to locate such firmly, and have a guide (flat) perpendicular to the filter's center line that could act as a back-stop to locate and maintain the hand stamp squarely as one rolls it across the filter exterior housing.  still requiring some learning for proper results, but perhaps easing some of the technique responsibilities?          :-\

Now, we could create a true "Rube-Goldberg" machine with motors & drive/turning rollers, holders and an ink roller but...................             ::)

Scott.   

mygt350

Get my hands on the stamp for just a few minutes.....
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 15, 2020, 05:36:02 PM
You might try remounting the stamp on a rectangular pad as opposed to the round design.

Agreed a "squared" edge would help

Another option is to mount it on a board and roll the filter over the stamp. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

EdwardGT350

do it as a transfer or have a vinyl template created. apply vinyl and spray painted the letters.
talk to a vinyl sign shop.
1966 GT350 6s1761

J_Speegle

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on July 15, 2020, 09:39:04 PM
do it as a transfer or have a vinyl template created. apply vinyl and spray painted the letters.
talk to a vinyl sign shop.

If you do it that way it would likely turn out much better than originally applied and defeat the purpose  - restoration. That would be fine for those lookign to build a car with no overspray, orange peel and other details = "better" than originally done.

Just something to consider.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bobby Crumpley

To my eye, the printing looks just a bit sloppy, which is just how it should be.  While trying to learn about screen printing on glass for a little project that I'm doing to replicate a Cobra radio, I came across a couple videos showing the process of printing on drinking glasses and bottles.  They made a simple jig that allowed the glass to rotate as the ink was applied and likely replicates the process of printing on any kind of cylindrical shape.  Might be worth the effort if you are going to make some more.  I think 'screen printing on glass' was the YouTube search phrase that i used.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

CharlesTurner

Brant might know the supplier of the repro filters.  Wonder if anyone has approached them regarding making these?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

chris NOS

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 15, 2020, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on July 15, 2020, 05:36:02 PM

Agreed a "squared" edge would help

Another option is to mount it on a board and roll the filter over the stamp.

definitly if i would order another stamp on internet i would go for squared , I tried to roll on it the filter but i got some shrinked version of the stamping ! i guess there's a way how to roll it to get it right , and then the weight of the filter that you need to hold a little and finally i gave up and and did it hand free ....
i m sure if somebody wants to spend enought time and maybe building a fixture to roll the filter straight and at the right speed it would get better result ...

chris NOS

Quote from: 6S1568 on July 15, 2020, 01:43:34 PM
What a great job Chris! You are a talented craftsman indeed. They look awesome to me.
thank you !

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI