News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT350R 5R002 Rear Bumper

Started by Jim Herrud, July 15, 2020, 04:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Herrud

Is there any documentation on why the "Flying Mustang" 5R002 was the only GT350R with a rear bumper?
Also, was the bumper a production steel bumper painted white or was it made of a composite material? My understanding is that it was (is?) steel.

Several years ago, I chose 5R002 as the inspiration for my GT350 tribute exterior. My car incorporates a few of the 5R002 features such as the painted rear bumper, round brake-duct openings in the front valence and the side mirror delete (fortunately, legal in Idaho). I've asked this question over the years and have gotten lots of opinions and conjecture, but nothing documented. Nor have I heard a clear statement from SA folks or others who were "in the know" at the time.

So far, I think the most plausible scenario is that SA originally thought the bumper made the car look better, but had it painted to provide a sporty appearance. Track testing of 5R002 prompted SA to conclude that the additional bumper weight was more of a performance liability than the improved aesthetics justified and removed it on the subsequent models, but retained it on 5R002 for continuity since it's image had garnered considerable press.

I realize this is minutia, but I've been curious for a while. Anyone have a better (especially better-documented) story?

Thx!
Jim
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

shelbydoug

How much faster could the car be without the bumper?

You can see what Brock thought on his redesign of the front which integrated the bumper.

Not that a rear bumper on a Mustang is seriously functional to begin with but considering the fact of Product Identification, I would have left it on. Maybe a lightened one stamped out of aluminum of "unobtainium".

Then again maybe that was one of those "little" frictions between Shelby and Ford? I think it looks better with bumpers and "clapped out" without them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w

deathsled

My understanding is that the rear bumper was made of fiberglass. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TransamEd

Berry Plastics offered a rear bumper for 21 Dollar in 1965, 34 for a chromed one. Not sure if those have a connection.  I think Berry Plastics had a connection with Shelby amongst others via Alex Tremulis and regarding the spoiler offer. Vince Gardner and DST as well.