News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 no. 002 sells for $264,000!

Started by BGlover67, July 17, 2020, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: davez on July 18, 2020, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: 1175 on July 18, 2020, 10:49:45 AM
There is no flat gas cap on it.

Jon

+1. I even ran my fingers along the emblem to see if it was a flat cap with the curved emblem. Nope, curved cap.
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 18, 2020, 12:36:49 PM
So, does this mean that this car was too much money?

"1967 GT350 no. 002 sells for $264,000" vs. "Someone got a deal"

I guess for me, I would rather buy 2 67 Shelbys...One would think having the 2nd 67 is a cool thing, and it must have been for the top bidder, and that's cool, but would it be cooler to have 2 of them? OK I get the early cars, and the people grasping for straws that want that "one of one" so it can be "rare" with values going lower and lower it seems like you cannot just own a 1967 Shelby, as that is not "rare" enough. Each car is rare because it is the only one with that number, in the world, we hope.

I guess if I had car number 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or even, number 9, I would be calling that second place bidder and make him a nice deal, then I would happily love to be in the story or forum posting, "someone got a deal" title. 2 TIMES!

I truly don't understand. For at least a year, you've been stating that prices are going down. Can you be more specific or show some examples? Which cars?

Enquiring minds want to know.  ???
Nothing beats a classic!

DGSOH

My next question would be should it have a flat gas cap?

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: DGSOH on July 19, 2020, 04:36:11 AM

Most certainly, IMO.
Nothing beats a classic!

Greg

Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 18, 2020, 12:36:49 PM
So, does this mean that this car was too much money?

"1967 GT350 no. 002 sells for $264,000" vs. "Someone got a deal"

I guess for me, I would rather buy 2 67 Shelbys...One would think having the 2nd 67 is a cool thing, and it must have been for the top bidder, and that's cool, but would it be cooler to have 2 of them? OK I get the early cars, and the people grasping for straws that want that "one of one" so it can be "rare" with values going lower and lower it seems like you cannot just own a 1967 Shelby, as that is not "rare" enough. Each car is rare because it is the only one with that number, in the world, we hope.

I guess if I had car number 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or even, number 9, I would be calling that second place bidder and make him a nice deal, then I would happily love to be in the story or forum posting, "someone got a deal" title. 2 TIMES!

Not sure where you are getting your information.  The prices aren't going down, in fact, this auction just proved good cars go for top dollar.  Don't buy into the hype that "the world is ending", the next generation doesn't car about the cars "not true".  I have spoken with a lot of 20 somethings that loves the cars but can't afford them. 

No idea how old you are but remember in the 60's, the older generation didn't car anything about "Hot Rods".  Original 30's hot rods are still going for good money but the fiberglass replicas are not.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

JD

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on July 19, 2020, 08:22:12 AM

Most certainly, IMO.
+1 (would certainly think so)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BGlover67

Quote from: JD on July 19, 2020, 09:23:15 AM

Most certainly, IMO.

Unless it came with a Mustang GT gas cap like seen on what is most probably 003 at the Detroit Auto Show of 1967 (actually Nov 26, 1966).  And before the flaming begins claiming it's just a replacement cap after someone in the crowd decided they wanted a souvenir,  I bring up Woody's old car, 145.  Woody, whom I truly miss, was the original owner of a rare grey '67 GT350 and he swore the car was delivered to him with the exact same Mustang GT gas cap in place.  Circumstantial evidence?  Perhaps, but you never know. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

roddster

The flat gas cap required a flat adapter in order to put on the flat gas car emblem.  Back a few years, like SAAC 11 and/or SAAC 15 the rumor had it that about the first 85 cars got flat gas caps, and, now, plus some other later ones.
  Last time I saw 0002 it was complete, not missing much of anything.  Then, Mr Atzbach treated it to  a super restoration. 
  Most of the early cars were alike, other than color.
    And I'm glad it got bid up like it did.

JD

Quote from: BGlover67 on July 19, 2020, 10:04:08 AM
Quote from: JD on July 19, 2020, 09:23:15 AM

Most certainly, IMO.

Unless it came with a Mustang GT gas cap like seen on what is most probably 003 at the Detroit Auto Show of 1967 (actually Nov 26, 1966).  And before the flaming begins claiming it's just a replacement cap after someone in the crowd decided they wanted a souvenir,  I bring up Woody's old car, 145.  Woody, whom I truly miss, was the original owner of a rare grey '67 GT350 and he swore the car was delivered to him with the exact same Mustang GT gas cap in place.  Circumstantial evidence?  Perhaps, but you never know. 

That is why I said (would certainly think so) as I hope you know ;-).

And Yes too, Woody's car - and I suspect other(s) may have too - although we know Woody's was a one owner and verified from the beginning as not having the "convex Shelby" emblem but would likely have not had a flat emblem being over 140 cars later (over 40 days later on Shelby completion date)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rcgt350

Well from my conversations after that car was purchased, it received a going over, but not an all out full restoration, can anyone add to that?

FL SAAC

Hoping that the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction

That's all that matters
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on July 20, 2020, 01:59:36 AM
Well from my conversations after that car was purchased, it received a going over, but not an all out full restoration, can anyone add to that?
I knew the car before . It went through a full restoration bumper to bumper . Some years ago after it was restored for John I was brought in to examine it and had a long list of things that needed corrected.  I hadn't examined it since. Obviously there were things that didn't get corrected.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Bob ,
     Shouldn't it be a virtual duplicate of yours? Flat gas cap would be a given IMHO.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on July 20, 2020, 05:29:59 PM
   Bob ,
     Shouldn't it be a virtual duplicate of yours? Flat gas cap would be a given IMHO.
  Randy
Pretty much.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby