News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What did you do to your '67 today?

Started by rmarble57, July 18, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

BIG week for my Shelby. It is a auto, it had 389's in it, could not go 65 without fear of loosing something in the driveline, Thus put 3:00 in it, MUCH BETTER! Adjusted the valves (many way loose), fixed vacuum leaks, (not even hooked up). The guy who I got it from must have been one of those guys who finger tightens all the bolts and never tightens them, when putting a car together, I have found so many loose bolts, including the carb to intake bolts, door bolts, interior panels, doors, etc. This week finally got it where it should be!
Drove it today and it is now a pleasure to drive.
RARE  Signature Delete

S7MS427

I'm putting a new battery in my G.T.500.  Since the car is not entirely stock (;)) I got a Motorcraft for it. Had to due a quick touch-upon the battery tray as some of the paint had flaked away.  It will be back on the road shortly.  Meanwhile, I take the G.T.350H out for any Shelby runs.  It's nice to have backup!  8)
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

roddster

Today on #0036: nothing.
    In the past 60 days I:
1) pulled the engine to change the rear main seal
2) replaced the water pump with one rebuilt by Jim Cowles
3) replaced the cam and lifters as it had a Howards Racing Cam "Boss 302 grind from the 70's.  Now it is a  repop 289 HiPo cam
4) replaced the timing chain and both crank and cam sprockets
5) installed my possibly original Cobra Kit T-pan.  Well the cast-in part number is correct.
6)  Replaced the clutch disk and pressure plate.  It's got to come out though.  The pedal effort had at least doubled
7) installed it with new motor mounts.  One original one was bad as was the worn repop one.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: roddster on July 19, 2020, 02:39:07 PM
  Today on #0036: nothing.
    In the past 60 days I:
1) pulled the engine to change the rear main seal
2) replaced the water pump with one rebuilt by Jim Cowles
3) replaced the cam and lifters as it had a Howards Racing Cam "Boss 302 grind from the 70's.  Now it is a  repop 289 HiPo cam
4) replaced the timing chain and both crank and cam sprockets
5) installed my possibly original Cobra Kit T-pan.  Well the cast-in part number is correct.
6)  Replaced the clutch disk and pressure plate.  It's got to come out though.  The pedal effort had at least doubled
7) installed it with new motor mounts.  One original one was bad as was the worn repop one.

So, not much? 😳

Wow, that's great. Congrats!
Nothing beats a classic!

6S1568

Roddster, you're my hero! Nice days work, it must not be as hot where you are as here in SC today.

S7MS427

Quote from: roddster on July 19, 2020, 02:39:07 PM
roddster,

Where did you source your cam from?  I'll be needing one for my '66 in the near future.  Thanks.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

greekz

Drove 2339 to cars and coffee this morning to schmooze with the boys.  She it running great after Drew rebuilt my carburetor.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

JD

Quote from: The Going Thing on July 19, 2020, 10:47:33 AM
Who made the hood the hood on your 67? I didn't notice any cuts for the oval air air cleaner in the structure.

GT350's didn't have the oval air cleaner assembly so no "notch" in the rear of the steel hood inner structure like the GT 500's got (especially being the car discussed is such an early car) - Although there were some GT 350's that did get the notched inner structure - they seem to be later in the sequence almost like if we notch them all it won't matter???

Nice work "roddster" and "greekz" drive 'em and show the world!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

Quote from: 67 GT350 on July 19, 2020, 12:16:56 PM
BIG week for my Shelby. It is a auto, it had 389's in it, could not go 65 without fear of loosing something in the driveline, Thus put 3:00 in it, MUCH BETTER! Adjusted the valves (many way loose), fixed vacuum leaks, (not even hooked up). The guy who I got it from must have been one of those guys who finger tightens all the bolts and never tightens them, when putting a car together, I have found so many loose bolts, including the carb to intake bolts, door bolts, interior panels, doors, etc. This week finally got it where it should be!
Drove it today and it is now a pleasure to drive.

I've had a car (not a Shelby) like that too, very disconcerting but so much better once everything is torqued to spec's.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rmarble57

On to Monday now.  Busted fan shroud that led to discovering a compromised motor mount.
Yet another "anomaly" learned about the '67 cars with their unique small block motor mount apparently made out of unobtanium.

427heaven

Good news bad news situation... Hipo motor mounts are pricey little buggers thats the bad news. Good news is you can head down to your local auto parts house and score some standard motor mounts for 20 bucks apiece until you find, or want to pony up for an original pair. Many millions of cars are still running around on standard mounts. They can handle 400 hp for a very long time.

roddster

Cam: It is in the NPD catalog.  The brand is Elgin.  The solid lifters in the NPD catalog also had no brand shown.

Motor mounts:  For the 67's, aren't they all the same?  Nothing special I noticed, even with the C7 numbered original.

And, unrelated: Then if I was to put dual quads or 3-2bbls on, I'd have to notch my metal underlined hood to get the oval air cleaner to fit, right?  That ain't gonna happen.

rmarble57

Here is the skinny on the motor mounts.

In 1967, Ford designed the Mustang to hold both the small and big block engines.
They developed 1 frame mount and 2 motor mounts.  After that, they went to 1 style motor mount and then the small and big blocks had different frame mounts.
I am now a wealth of knowledge on this in the past 24 hours.
Thanks Bob.

rmarble57

Thanks for the link.  I suppose the question is how much do you want to trust 54 year old motor mounts vs recent manufactured items?