News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What did you do to your '67 today?

Started by rmarble57, July 18, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67411F--0100-ENG.

This past Saturday, 11/06, I drove 0100 from our house over to the Shelby American Collection in Boulder and put the car back on display.

BeaterGT500

I scored some perfect OEM outer shock towers, wired up my dash cluster for installation, and installed the functional brake scoop ducts.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Texascobra

I "corrected" my trunk lid. My aftermarket trunk lid had a beautiful gelcoat body color finish. So I sanded off the finish, applied a nonstructural fiberglass sheet along with some chopped matt to try and reproduce the originals I have seen, blackened it out and added the overspray. Its not perfect but looks pretty good to me.

rmarble57

Just thought this was a cool picture.   #23 Up off its' Hooves getting ready for a light refurb on some parts over the winter.
Been driving and enjoying for a couple of years and will be doing some detailing and fixing the Damn horns that won't blow!

68gtcoupe

Quote from: rmarble57 on December 02, 2021, 03:15:45 PM
Just thought this was a cool picture.   #23 Up off its' Hooves getting ready for a light refurb on some parts over the winter.
Been driving and enjoying for a couple of years and will be doing some detailing and fixing the Damn horns that won't blow!

How do you like that lift, not to change the subject.  I don't have a high ceiling garage and want a better option than ramps and jack stands.  Thanks!  Car looks nice BTW

Terry

DGSOH

My, my that's some induction you have there. 0066 would be jealous.

rmarble57

The Quick Jack Lift is new to me, but so far, I really like it.  I'm faced with a space problem and didn't want a permanent lift that I always had to work around and or get a drive on that moves......it still gets in the way and you can't do tires/wheels very easily.
So, this one is very stable, very easy to operate and lifts it up where you could pull a transmission or detail the underside pretty easily. 
They make them in 5000 lb and 7000 lb capacity and they hang on the wall when not in use.  Mine are the 5000 lb and are very stable and raise the car easily.  I believe the 7000 lb versions are the same price..........just heavier to lift and move around.

68gtcoupe

Quote from: rmarble57 on December 02, 2021, 03:57:21 PM
The Quick Jack Lift is new to me, but so far, I really like it.  I'm faced with a space problem and didn't want a permanent lift that I always had to work around and or get a drive on that moves......it still gets in the way and you can't do tires/wheels very easily.
So, this one is very stable, very easy to operate and lifts it up where you could pull a transmission or detail the underside pretty easily. 
They make them in 5000 lb and 7000 lb capacity and they hang on the wall when not in use.  Mine are the 5000 lb and are very stable and raise the car easily.  I believe the 7000 lb versions are the same price..........just heavier to lift and move around.

Very good.  Thanks for the info. Think I'll look into one.

T-Bone68

Quote from: Texascobra on December 02, 2021, 11:33:49 AM
I "corrected" my trunk lid. My aftermarket trunk lid had a beautiful gelcoat body color finish. So I sanded off the finish, applied a nonstructural fiberglass sheet along with some chopped matt to try and reproduce the originals I have seen, blackened it out and added the overspray. Its not perfect but looks pretty good to me.

Very cool.  You even managed to make the Plazaglass sticker look old.  I would also be impressed if you replicated the look of a missing sticker with light overspray around it and then removed the sticker :)

Bob Gaines

Call me some time and I will walk you through the horn fix if you don't already have a game plan.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

rmarble57

Not today, but last weekend......................
Removed the inboard lights and removed 1 piece grill to replace the rubber moulding along the bottom.
Wiped down and touched up detailing on underside after 2+ years of driving.
Noticed seeping Proportioning Brake Valve so I replaced it.
Removed the rear bumper and flat taillight panel to begin the process of restoring the panel.  Had some warpage over time from the thin part at the top.

Next:
Match paint
Reinforce panel
New taillight gaskets
New filler tube gasket
Repair any studs on taillight assemblies
Thoroughly seal the area of the taillight panel around the gas filler so that fumes do not invade the cabin

rmarble57

Update on progress on #23 - Minor refurbishing.
After removing all the rear taillight components and trying to fit a reproduction "flat" taillight panel, I gave up and started to re-work, re-pair and re-finish the original panel.  The reproduction panel didn't come close to matching the original holes for fitment, and the "stands" for the bolts were too big to fit in the recessed areas.  I'll post pictures of original panel as progress is made.  Attempting to minimize the gap around the top portion of the panel as it doesn't have any attaching points.............but I have an idea.

First, however, was returning the taillight surrounds back to their original finish as they had been painted at some point.  Returned to natural aluminum finish after sanding down the paint.  Put them in my Vapor Honing machine and they came out great.  Early cars according to the experts were not highly polished.

Before and after images attached.  FYI:  That part that looks tarnished is now taken care of.

Next up is replacing broken studs on the surrounds, then cleaning and refinishing the taillight panels themselves.
The beat goes on...................

rmarble57

The Saga Continues..............

Rear of car repainted, cleared and ready for assembly.

Early "Flat" taillight panel fiberglass repairs made, sanded, spot puttied and primed.   Will warm up the shop tomorrow and start painting the fiberglass panel.

Taillight boxes detailed.

Next up, clean up and detail the taillight boxes themselves, new gaskets, repair broken studs on taillight surrounds etc, etc, etc............