News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What did you do to your '67 today?

Started by rmarble57, July 18, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CGWerner

Today - replacing some trashed underlayment.  Found a note from some girls to the original owner in 1972 - inquiring to his whereabouts and the original Vehicle Specs (also quite worn).

rmarble57

Taillight panel refurb recap:   
The previous (b4me) installation of the panel and boxes was pretty shoddy, but after all this work, it's easy to see why someone would give-up and just say "that's good enough".  When I disassembled the taillight inner boxes, there were about 4 rivets on each side holding them in and it looks like the person assembled the taillight panel into the car and then came back around and riveted the boxes as best they could.

I went the other way by riveting the boxes in first and managed to get 10 rivets on each side holding them in place.  Thus, making a more secure setting to work with.
Then assembled the taillight surrounds, lens, gasket and panel into the fiberglass flat panel and set it carefully into the recess and into the 4 mounting stud locations.  This was completely scary after going through the trouble with fiberglass repair and paint.  The housings are really heavy and the taillight panel is thin and flimsy.

I then used all-thread to get the taillight panels somewhat centered into the trunk boxes and installed all the studs and then synched up the nuts.............not too tight as to warp the back panel and cut off the studs.

Now with everything assembled, you get what everyone else has illustrated in that the taillight boxes protrude further into the trunk on the inboard side and that has made it impossible to get the speedway 350 (with tread) into the trunk.   I have the original Magstar and Speedway (bald) that I will try for looks, but no amount of wiggling even with absolutely zero air pressure gets the spare in place because of how far the taillight surrounds protrude inward.

It is easy now to understand why so many changes were made to the '67's as they progressed through the build and no wonder Ford stepped in and took over the reigns.

As seen in the picture, I have vented the fuel tank over to the passenger side and down into the trunk drop and out through the grommet.  I'm hoping this resolves the fumes entering the passenger cabin.  I now have a non vented fuel cap inside of the flip lid so everything should go out the new vent tube.  I know some think that it is exhaust fumes and sealing the taillight panel with rope caulk will hopefully help as well.

Not a job for the faint of heart.

Next up:  Rebuilt transmission install and put the interior back together and ready to get back on the road.
Thanks to everyone phone, email and emotional support.

rmarble57

Original Speedway 350 (Bald) on original Magstar installed in trunk.
Shame that the nicely restored wheel and new repop Speedway doesn't fit.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rmarble57 on January 30, 2022, 05:03:09 PM
Original Speedway 350 (Bald) on original Magstar installed in trunk.
Shame that the nicely restored wheel and new repop Speedway doesn't fit.
It should if you let some air out of the tire.It is not like you are going to put the bald tire into service.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rmarble57

Bob,
As mentioned, I let all of the air out of the repop tire and it just hangs up on the inboard taillight surround.

JD

Yes, the tail lights and inboard grill lights on early cars is a P-I-T-A.

Look forward to hearing how the venting works.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

S7MS427

Took it grocery shopping yesterday.  Got a big thumbs up from a young guy in a Subaru on the highway and when I parked an older gentleman came over to talk a bit.  He told me that it was an iconic car from the past.  I told him I knew that and then he proceeded to tell me about muscle cars he had owned back in the sixties.  Nice guy.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

rmarble57

Ok, time for a wrap-up on #23 after the wintertime tidy-up project.

1) Installed the one-piece bottom grill rubber.
2) Wiped down / detailed undercarriage after a couple years of driving.  Reapplied Shark-Hyde to unpainted surfaces.
3) Disassembled flat taillight panel and made fiberglass repairs and installed properly sealed with rope caulk.  Trunk boxes were installed properly with almost all of the rivets.
4) Adjusted steering column so that horn probes could properly contact switch.
5) R&R transmission for rebuild.
6) Replaced leaky rear brake proportioning valve.
7) Altered fuel cap venting to a non-vented cap and routed vent through brass fitting and up into aluminum line like the '69 recall unit and vented down through the trunk drop.

The weather turned nice and was able to get the car out yesterday for an extended drive and I am happy to report that #7 above WORKS!!!!  No reversion fuel smell into the driving cabin.

Time now to turn attention to the 2017 GT350R brakes/tires etc to get ready for upcoming open track sessions.

Thanks to the experts here on the forum for your support, knowledge and encouragement.

Ran it in the garage for a while.Won't be driving it for a bit as I just received a replacement(non o.e.m.)for my left (clutch foot) hip.... :'(

JD

Randy, great that all the work is as hoped!!

557, future therapy ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

greekz

Replaced my faulty brake light switch today.  Did not realize the lights were not working until a friend of mine told me I had no brake lights.  All is in working order and ready for a drive this Sunday.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

6S1568

Hi Greek, happy to hear your problem is fixed! Safe driving.

greekz

rmarble57

Unable to post with pictures right now.  Message says picture uploader is full, contact admin.
Anyone know how to contact admin?

greekz

Maybe you can PM the forum guide.  I was told he is the one with admin access.