News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What did you do to your '67 today?

Started by rmarble57, July 18, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

I picked up my rebuilt 428 long block today.  After looking at it for 19 years, finally got it redone.  Went with a nice roller cam setup, the stock dual quad intake, and scored a rare SSS finned COBRA oil pan to boot.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on December 24, 2020, 01:14:04 AM
I picked up my rebuilt 428 long block today.  After looking at it for 19 years, finally got it redone.  Went with a nice roller cam setup, the stock dual quad intake, and scored a rare SSS finned COBRA oil pan to boot.
Are you under the misconception that the finned aluminum big block Cobra oil pan was a original Shelby item? Branda has been selling the creation they cam up with (not Shelby) for 40 years. It is still available through Branda . You may think it is cool which is no harm no foul but it is not rare . http://www.cobranda.com/bigblcooilpa.html
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

Trying to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do with these metal tabs that I got from the DMV today to go with my recommissioned California black license plate ,I picked the plate up from a vendor on eBay recently and it starts with a U which is correct for a 1967 California plate .It also came with a 67 tag on it ,when  I took it to the DMV they told me to keep the sticker on it,which I kind of like any way but don't want these metal tabs hanging off my plate.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Just put the sticker over the old ones.That's what I did when I got my original plates reassigned to my car about 10 years ago(it had dropped off the grid after a long nap)btw that tab thing must be a new development,dmv didn't give me one :'(.If you like the 67 sticker you could try and work it off carefully with a razor blade(and maybe heat?)for "future reference "I suppose.Good luck.

greekz

I ran recommissioned black plates on my '67 for about 3 years and did not use the metal tabs.  I carefully removed the 1967 sticker and placed the correct month/year stickers on the plates as I do with my 1966, that has its original plates.  I do not think the registration card indicates recommissioned plates.  Never had a problem, also never was stopped by police.  Friends of mine have done the same.  I do not think there is anyway for law enforcement to tell the difference.  It is up to you.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

DGSOH

Though small I FINALLY got the correct style ammeter terminal block installed. It's one of those things that's been bugging me for years... thanks JD! I feel much better now.

Having had some experience with wiring on things that move, it's curious why SA chose the block they did and installed it the way they did. Those guards typically act as keepers for the conductors so in my view it's the wrong part installed incorrectly. But what do I know.

At what point does a hobby cross the line into mental illness (rhetorical)? I think I must be there.

Hmmm, I see in the photo that solenoid could use a little more cleaning, and there's some dust just below it, and...

Happy Holidays all!

67gt500

Quote from: 68krrrr on December 24, 2020, 01:27:27 PM
Trying to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do with these metal tabs that I got from the DMV today to go with my recommissioned California black license plate ,I picked the plate up from a vendor on eBay recently and it starts with a U which is correct for a 1967 California plate .It also came with a 67 tag on it ,when  I took it to the DMV they told me to keep the sticker on it,which I kind of like any way but don't want these metal tabs hanging off my plate.

Cut a fridge magnet to the correct shape and stick the new sticker to it.. Place it over the 67 sticker..

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on December 24, 2020, 03:36:50 PM
Though small I FINALLY got the correct style ammeter terminal block installed. It's one of those things that's been bugging me for years... thanks JD! I feel much better now.

Having had some experience with wiring on things that move, it's curious why SA chose the block they did and installed it the way they did. Those guards typically act as keepers for the conductors so in my view it's the wrong part installed incorrectly. But what do I know.

At what point does a hobby cross the line into mental illness (rhetorical)? I think I must be there.

Hmmm, I see in the photo that solenoid could use a little more cleaning, and there's some dust just below it, and...

Happy Holidays all!
Do you have the amber circuit board looking material insulator underneath the early terminal block like was done originally?I can't tell from the picture angle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 24, 2020, 06:46:38 PM
Do you have the amber circuit board looking material insulator underneath the early terminal block like was done originally?I can't tell from the picture angle.

lol Yes I do. I had a feeling you might bring that up. In fact it's the insulator I was specifically thanking JD for.

And for the benefit of others, there's a really good reason the insulator is there - don't install one of these without it would be my recommendation.

Thanks Bob! And I hope you and yours have a great holiday.

68krrrr

Quote from: DGSOH on December 24, 2020, 06:55:16 PM

lol Yes I do. I had a feeling you might bring that up. In fact it's the insulator I was specifically thanking JD for.

And for the benefit of others, there's a really good reason the insulator is there - don't install one of these without it would be my recommendation.

Can you let us know where you sourced both of these parts thanks
Current
1967 GT500 #1724

Previously owned
1968 GT/CS

Thanks Adam

68krrrr

Quote from: 67gt500 on December 24, 2020, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: 68krrrr on December 24, 2020, 01:27:27 PM
Huh might try that thanks

Cut a fridge magnet to the correct shape and stick the new sticker to it.. Place it over the 67 sticker..
Current
1967 GT500 #1724

Previously owned
1968 GT/CS

Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on December 25, 2020, 12:16:07 AM
Quote from: DGSOH on December 24, 2020, 06:55:16 PM

Can you let us know where you sourced both of these parts thanks
Your later car does not use those early car parts if that is what you are thinking.

68krrrr

Current
1967 GT500 #1724

Previously owned
1968 GT/CS

Thanks Adam

BeaterGT500

I spent enough time to kill three rechargeable batteries on my Makita cordless drill with a brass wire brush on it, cleaning surface rust off cast iron parts for refinishing.  Bellhousing, strut rods, spindles, coil springs, motor mounts, steering shaft, clutch fork.  Fun times in the 40 degree shop.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.