Author Topic: What did you do to your '67 today?  (Read 56072 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your '67 today?
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2022, 11:14:50 AM »
Unable to post with pictures right now.  Message says picture uploader is full, contact admin.
Anyone know how to contact admin?

Randy, try again.  I sent a message and got a reply that it would be looked at ,-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »
Still getting this same error:

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

I even cut down the size of the pictures and still no bueno.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
Maybe later today...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2022, 06:41:03 AM »
Rebuilt the shifter.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2022, 01:30:46 PM »
Rebuilt the shifter.

Auto or 4-speed? 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2022, 02:10:36 PM »
Rebuilt the shifter.

Auto or 4-speed?

4 speed.

It's too bad we can't post pics.  :'(
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
Rebuilt the shifter.

Auto or 4-speed?

4 speed.

Did you totally disassemble the entire shifter assembly?  What did you use to lubricate the components?

When I did 1966 shifter, I lubricated all of the components with Lubri-plate white grease.  It has never shifted so smoothly.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2022, 04:37:45 PM »
Rebuilt the shifter.

Auto or 4-speed?

4 speed.

Did you totally disassemble the entire shifter assembly?  What did you use to lubricate the components?

When I did 1966 shifter, I lubricated all of the components with Lubri-plate white grease.  It has never shifted so smoothly.

Not so simple there grasshopper.  ;D

There is a story that goes with this and then there is a story that goes with that story. Ready?

First. In '76 I installed a Ford top loader in my '68 GT350. It was out of a Boss 302. On that one I installed an aftermarket Hurst Competition Plus shifter and linkage.

Out of the box, that one came with "Hurst Shifty shifter grease". It was grey looking like molybendum disulfide. That one shifted flawlessly out of the box.

After wrestling with rear end gears, I just got this overwhelming urge for more gears and after my drag racing friend told me that I didn't have enough "out of the hole" torque and the car SHOULD be in the 11's (Randy's gonna' see this), I needed to have a torque multiplication of the product of first gear and the rear ratio of between 11 and 15.

The Nash kinda' snuck up on me. It is a 3.27 first gear. I had 3.70's in the car. That gave me a product of 12.099. Good! Cruising wasn't though. So back in went the 3.50's. Better but you still couldn't put on the stereo and sleep.

Now at this point in the story, I have to warn you that it gets longer. So if you want to take a break, go stretch, get a drink, check the mail, go ahead...I'll wait until you come back....

OK, you back? So there now was a Boss 302 with a Hurst shifter sitting around. Hum. That really doesn't matter to the 500. So why did I bring that up? I don't know?

So as I remember, my 500 came as drivelineless. No engine. No transmission. No interior for that matter...but I digress again. Yikes! I don't know what is wrong with me? Probably too much to list?

I was looking for a big input 4 speed and first I bought one from Perogie for $275. I didn't realize that it had a small output. Resold it for about what I paid. Didn't know it came out of a 427 Cobra...GEEZ-US DOUG get on with it please...

I do remember where this RUG-AZ came from, but I'll spare you the details. PHEFEW! My finger tips are beginning to bleed.

Its a 70 big/big Boss 429/428 SCJ with a Hurst from the factory. It's been sitting since about 1986. I just went through it and the shifter itself wouldn't go into reverse.

Just installed a Hurst rebuild kit and the grease, oh yea, you asked me about the grease. It came in the kit labeled GREASE. Kinda' looks like Vasalene.

Anyway. It shifts really slick now, but now it's so slick that I can't feel the 1/2 gate downshifting and it slides into reverse. I'm not sure what to do about it but in Googling, the biggest complaints on the Hurst shifters is the reverse lockout. Usually it's the other way around, i.e., it won't go into reverse?

Now I understand why the Ford shifter and lever have a reverse lock out on them. Good idea.  Too bad the one on my Ford lever is just there for looks now?

So that's where I'm at right now. I shortened the second part figuring that now you need to go pee because you had a big gulp on the first break I gave you so now you can go.

I was just wondering why I'm like this today?  You know, extra flakey? I was just watching "Endless Summer" which Bruce Brown narrates throughout the film? Maybe that's like a computer virus and you can catch it?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:57:52 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2022, 06:05:22 PM »
Rebuilt the shifter.

Auto or 4-speed?

Very interesting story. A little more than I bargained for, but entertaining.  Interesting to know it was a Hurst shifter rebuild and not a FoMoCo. Enjoy the rest of you day.

4 speed.

Not so simple there grasshopper.  ;D

There is a story that goes with this and then there is a story that goes with that story. Ready?

First. In '76 I installed a Ford top loader in my '68 GT350. It was out of a Boss 302. On that one I installed an aftermarket Hurst Competition Plus shifter and linkage.

Out of the box, that one came with "Hurst Shifty shifter grease". It was grey looking like molybendum disulfide. That one shifted flawlessly out of the box.

After wrestling with rear end gears, I just got this overwhelming urge for more gears and after my drag racing friend told me that I didn't have enough "out of the hole" torque and the car SHOULD be in the 11's (Randy's gonna' see this), I needed to have a torque multiplication of the product of first gear and the rear ratio of between 11 and 15.

The Nash kinda' snuck up on me. It is a 3.27 first gear. I had 3.70's in the car. That gave me a product of 12.099. Good! Cruising wasn't though. So back in went the 3.50's. Better but you still couldn't put on the stereo and sleep.

Now at this point in the story, I have to warn you that it gets longer. So if you want to take a break, go stretch, get a drink, check the mail, go ahead...I'll wait until you come back....

OK, you back? So there now was a Boss 302 with a Hurst shifter sitting around. Hum. That really doesn't matter to the 500. So why did I bring that up? I don't know?

So as I remember, my 500 came as drivelineless. No engine. No transmission. No interior for that matter...but I digress again. Yikes! I don't know what is wrong with me? Probably too much to list?

I was looking for a big input 4 speed and first I bought one from Perogie for $275. I didn't realize that it had a small output. Resold it for about what I paid. Didn't know it came out of a 427 Cobra...GEEZ-US DOUG get on with it please...

I do remember where this RUG-AZ came from, but I'll spare you the details. PHEFEW! My finger tips are beginning to bleed.

Its a 70 big/big Boss 429/428 SCJ with a Hurst from the factory. It's been sitting since about 1986. I just went through it and the shifter itself wouldn't go into reverse.

Just installed a Hurst rebuild kit and the grease, oh yea, you asked me about the grease. It came in the kit labeled GREASE. Kinda' looks like Vasalene.

Anyway. It shifts really slick now, but now it's so slick that I can't feel the 1/2 gate downshifting and it slides into reverse. I'm not sure what to do about it but in Googling, the biggest complaints on the Hurst shifters is the reverse lockout. Usually it's the other way around, i.e., it won't go into reverse?

Now I understand why the Ford shifter and lever have a reverse lock out on them. Good idea.  Too bad the one on my Ford lever is just there for looks now?

So that's where I'm at right now. I shortened the second part figuring that now you need to go pee because you had a big gulp on the first break I gave you so now you can go.

I was just wondering why I'm like this today?  You know, extra flakey? I was just watching "Endless Summer" which Bruce Brown narrates throughout the film? Maybe that's like a computer virus and you can catch it?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »
You sure got your moneys worth greekz . ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2022, 07:28:30 PM »
You sure got your moneys worth greekz . ;D ;D ;D ;D

I edited it down. After all he just asked about grease.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »
I always enjoy a good story!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2022, 07:38:37 AM »

My wife says I'm very predictable? I have no idea what that means?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »

My wife says I'm very predictable? I have no idea what that means?  ::)

I get the same from my wife.  So. to combat that, I took my '67 out for a nice drive this morning and swapped stories with my cronies.  It was a pleasant 2 hours.

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2022, 11:23:33 AM »
I was fortunate enough to find a NOS pair of Upper Scoop Lights and installed them!!