Author Topic: Grill Molding Install - 1968 Shelby  (Read 2017 times)

JWH

• View Profile
Grill Molding Install - 1968 Shelby
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »
Hello. I have purchased new clips and fasteners to install the front molding on my ‘68 Shelby. A couple of questions please- in the first picture I have installed one new clip into the molding with the spring on top and one with the spring on the bottom. It is a bit hard to see in the picture but the orientation of the spring will position the post next to the bottom edge of the molding or next to the top edge of the molding. Which direction of install will make the molding fit the best?
       In the second picture is a side-by-side of my old clip and the new clip. Note that the post on the new clip is larger diameter than the post on the old clip. I will need to drill out the current holes in the fiberglass just a little bit to insert the larger new clips. I thought I would ask if I have the correct clips before enlarging the holes? Thanks for any guidance and tips getting the molding installed.
Jeff

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
Re: Grill Molding Install - 1968 Shelby
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »
I don't think you have the correct clips. I believe they should be push in not threaded. You also need a barrel nut in the fibreglass to hold them in place.

I'll look for pictures after supper.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:25:22 PM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 06:55:31 PM »
Chris is correct, you need a barrel nut and a non threaded push in fastener. The threaded fasteners were used on some occasions, but the push in style is far more common

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

Exploded view calls for S8MS-14296A and retainer(barrel nut)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:00:30 PM by Chris Thauberger »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
I don't recall the exact size but here is the AMK listing for barrel nuts. I believe you are looking for type 1.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:36:53 PM »
I am glad I asked before drilling - thanks very much for your advice on how the molding should be attached. I bought these clips from very knowledgeable parts supplier and surprised to not get the correct parts.
      I found this AMK kit offered through CJ Pony Parts, does this look like what I need to order?     

AMK Kit F-870 ---- AMK Products Grille Molding Hardware Kit for 1968 Shelbys.

This Grille Molding Hardware Kit from AMK Products includes 52 total pieces of original style, factory correct retainers and sleeve nuts that are required to properly fasten all of the original grille moldings to the front of your 1968 Shelby.

Now you can take the guess work out of installing your 1968 Shelby's new grille moldings with this Grille Molding Hardware Kit from AMK Products. This is the most accurate and complete kit available for your 1968 Shelby.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:38:38 PM by JWH »

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Yes that look to be the correct hardware

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Threaded fasteners only used on letter panel and not all cars got them

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 10:32:24 PM »
I've always regarded the threaded as replacements; never originals.  So, you surprised me with your answer, Tim.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:52:24 PM »
Seen them on a few original cars with original paint.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
I've had both service part #s (short and long) NOS, and none have been threaded.